Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
248 Posts
So I am in the market for a '09/'10 GT-R or '11 M3 - unfortunately I am unable to find a GT-R in the area that I can drive. I am not looking to test speed or acceleration, I am sure the GT-R can do that just fine, I am looking to either drive or ride along in a local GT-R for a few miles on local streets during normal driving and maybe even traffic.

Whichever car I purchase will be driven heavily and will have to deal with some local driving and traffic almost on a daily basis. I'd love the GT-R, but I can't justify flying out to see one of the cars I am interested in if I am not even sure I will like it to the point I don't mind it as a daily. BTW currently I DD a Z06 so my standards aren't that high

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you DD a Z06, you're going to be fine with the GTR. M3 is a great daily, extremely comfortable but lacks low end torque/power. GTR is stiffer, it feels more like a track oriented car, similar to the z06 kinda like a m3 with stiff coilovers. Also, M3 is on the luxury end compare to the GTR, but coming from a Z06 the GTR should be a big upgrade.

Both are great cars, really depends on what you want out of the car. Power/Performance - GTR. Comfortable/Luxury ride- M3

·
Boost Junkie
248 Posts
If you DD a Z06, you're going to be fine with the GTR. M3 is a great daily, extremely comfortable but lacks low end torque/power. GTR is stiffer, it feels more like a track oriented car, similar to the z06 kinda like a m3 with stiff coilovers. Also, M3 is on the luxury end compare to the GTR, but coming from a Z06 the GTR should be a big upgrade.

Both are great cars, really depends on what you want out of the car. Power/Performance - GTR. Comfortable/Luxury ride- M3
My main gripe with the M3 was exactly what you outlined, the lack of torque. Coming from a modded Z06 the M3 felt torque anemic. I did really like the adjustability of the car and the fact that it was luxurious. I feel like the GT-R will be better for me as I won't be missing much, but I am also not looking for a ride that is as jarring as the Z06 everyday. Most of the time I don't think twice of it, but some days or with a passenger it gets annoying.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello, I'm not sure what your location is, but I can tell you from experience driving a GTR is alot easier and comfortable than driving a ZO6. The GTR makes great power, but still a great drive. I would find the time to get behind the wheel of a GTR before you make a decision. Here are the last three cars I've had and while they are all different cars the GTR has been the best to drive. My thoughts, good luck....Juan

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Another selling point on the GTR is AWD is better then rwd in the snow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Boost Junkie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
U can come in a ride in mine.. wont be anything like what you will be purchasing though lol
Thank you for the offer, your right your car will be far from what I'd be buying (at least initially). Speed aside, how would you compare your car's low speed, around town experience compared to stock?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thank you for the offer, your right your car will be far from what I'd be buying (at least initially). Speed aside, how would you compare your car's low speed, around town experience compared to stock?
to be honest, i have never drove a stock GTR. First one i was ever inside at all was my car w the BL850 kit making 700whp on pump. (stock motor and trans) and KW sleeve kit. I never saw the car, bought it and shipped it right to BL.

I will say this, even with my current setup.... Car out of boost, drives like stock. Once the boost comes on, its just nuts!!! Other then my car being very low which is my choice, i take the car to Manhattan, can take my GF and mother w me (who both hate fast cars lol) and the car truly has a split personality.

Theses cars are truly amazing. IMO if you are going to go with a big HP build and look to drive it regularly with stock drivability..... GTR or 997 turbo are your best platforms

·
Registered
63 Posts
currently have a modded C6 Z06 too, '08 M5, '12 M3 Competition and '12 GT-R. Since '95 had a total of 4 M3s and 4 M5s. Obviously I like M cars, but the GT-R is a unique beast. If I had to pick one as a DD it would be the GT-R. When I travel I take the M5. My biggest gripe over the years about later year M3s and M5s is low end torque too but prefer them over any AMG product. Had a couple AMG cars in the early '00 and I thought they were soft. Don't know if AMGs are still soft (IMO), but Black Series Benz cars look awesome. Hope to drive one soon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
if your local, (I work at Ft Dix) I just got an 09 DCT M3. I debated over it and GT-R, and I chose this, for me it works out better except for MPG. I like to think I made the right choice, but goals are only around 550-600rwhp, plus aesthetically, im for the M over GTR.

IF possible, coordinate with one of these guys and myself, and you can hop from one to the other for a back to back... hell, i might even like to see if i made the right choice for a DD, if ok with the gtr owner ;)

·
Your ad here! ;-)
627 Posts
There's a guy right next to you in Princeton - bld99 (I think?) he's the one that runs a carkitcompany that sells nice toys for GT-R - he may be able to assist too. PM him. I'm about 20 mins south of princeton in Langhorne - so I could give you a taste of a stock 2010 GT-R.

Purely from a biased standpoint - I owned a BMW and swore to never again. My ownership entailed well over 40 trips to the shop over a course of 3 years, and a breach of warranty lawsuit that ended in my favor, with BMW paying out $11K in damages - which was barely enough for me to trade the car in and PAY THE DEALER $11K to take it off my hands.

My best friend owned an M6 as well as X5 - similar story, lots of trips to the shop, electronics issues out the ass, horrible ownership experience. I can keep going.

GT-R - will be a noticeable car. Not that many of them around, so, if you're not the type that likes extra attention - stay away. I constantly have either someone chasing, taking pictures, or complimenting the car, to the point where it gets to be intimidating.

Keeping a GT-R at speed limit is TOUGH. Very tough. The biggest issue is that car wants to go fast. You're traveling 100Mph and it feels like 60. Very scary prospect if you have a lead foot.

Maintenance ain't cheap on a GT-R. Brakes alone will cost a pretty penny. However, just as an excercise in hillarity. Go take a look at 2009 BMW M3 price and 2009 GT-R price.

Back in 2009, @ MSRP:

GT-R - 70K
BMW M3 coupe - about 72K

Let's assume you bought either one at MSRP. Fast forward to today - GT-R is around 60 - 65K, M3 is 45 - 55K. Now, fast forward 2+ years. Depreciation on M3 will surely be substantially higher than GT-R. Also, as others mentioned - AWD vs RWD. Unless you got a beater for winter, I'd say you're not getting far in your BMW when it snows. Now, I'd sooner rent a car than drive a GT-R in the snow (I like my Godzilla low-sodium, please), but if you didn't care you could drive GT-R, whereas BMW will be sitting in the driveway. Trust me - you DO NOT WANT TO BE IN BMW when it snows, unless you got snow tires and balls of steel/patience of a saint to drive it in the snow.

Last but not the least - what's more important to YOU? Is GT-R a comfortable daily driver? not really. Its stiff suspension is not for everyone. My pampered MB-driving friend said that he'd rather cruise in comfort and style than in an exotic but not very refined rocket. I think he's biased and has grown a vagina at his mid-life juncture.

My vote is biased - I hate BMW with passion. However, even that aside - there's no contest, really.

Also, this:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Cant argue with any of that. Sucks about all the issues though, im sure thats not the norm. Ive had 3 bmws, even just got out of the 335 with N54- known to have more issues than the rest, and i only had 1 sensor go out in 50k miles i put on it, Im hoping the M is as trouble free.

I consider the E92 DCT M, to be an elitest/euro mustang really. Its small, rwd, V8 with aggressive styling, but with much nicer interior, awesome trans, great suspension- one that can be comfortable or sport for carving corners, exotice V8 sound. everything i like about the mustangs, except for the power potential, and $/HP ratio

if its big power you want, we are capped in the upper 5xx range, anything beyond that is lower compression territory. and the supercharger kts to get you there have inflated prices as well (12-15k) ill be going that route myself as soon as Evolve releases their kit as i like s/c over turbos. Nut I am always jealous of the potential and cost/ease to modify the GTRs..

Keep us updated, let us know what you choose and how you like it ect

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
Also in the same boat as OP. Want to know if this is the car for me, but I don't think there are any locally for my to ride in. (Upstate, NY)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of writting up a pretty lengthy, objective review of the two (m3 versus gtr). To summarize:

e92 m3
  • Pros
    • Interior is worlds better than GT-R
    • Luxury comfort
    • Does everything well
  • Cons
    • Very similar styling to a run-of-the-mill 3 series
    • Lack of hp - super chargers are an option but you are still limited to ~600rwhp and 450ish ft/lb tq.
    • Will depretiate faster than GT-R (waaaaay more produced)
GT-R
  • Pros
    • Huge power. 550awhp with some simple bolt ons and a tune (93oct)
    • AWD - don't need to worry about traction
    • Gets noticed - Even the people that don't know the GT-R ask about it. My M3 was never photographed randomly while parked or on the highway
  • Cons
    • Stiff ride/road noise (I personally like both of these)
    • No back seats (I'm 6'4 and there is all of 2 inches of leg room back there - I don't sit there so I don't care about them)
    • Gets noticed - Everyone wants you to speed or take off like a bat out of hell
The overall better car is the M3 because it does everything well. The GT-R was build for speed and kills everything at it, compromising on a little bit of styling and some luxury items Nissan just hasn't gotten to yet. I'll still take the GT-R any day - faster, more of a 'story' behind it, and does well in almost any road condition.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
My GT-R has back seats (obviously you know that, you were just making a judgment of their uselessness) that my kids can use just fine. Grown adults? Only if you have to.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My GT-R has back seats (obviously you know that, you were just making a judgment of their uselessness) that my kids can use just fine. Grown adults? Only if you have to.
sorry, repharased my post. Adults will have a hard time in the back. I've had some ladies back there but if you are 5'8'' or bigger it's a tight fit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts