Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts

After besting the GT-R 1/4 mile record at the TX2K12 with an [email protected] pass, the Alpha Omega GT-R went straight to the Texas Mile in an attempt to reset the GT-R top speed record of 218mph.

FRIDAY

The morning was spent preparing the Alpha Omega for tech inspection. A 1/2 mile shakedown pass was performed early afternoon. With much more power than what we had worked with last October, the Alpha Omega was literally flying down the track. Nonetheless, Ivan Phipps, the projects technician and driver for the Alpha Omega kept at it - pulling a 221mph top late Friday afternoon which was enough to claim the record!

SATURDAY

With the absence of wind Saturday morning, the decision was made to press on. The Alpha Omega only used approximately 1050whp of its available 1600whp on Friday's record pass. With approximately 1250whp dialed in, the crew wanted to see if the car could at least break the 230mph barrier before heading home for the weekend.

On Saturday's one and only pass down the Mile, Ivan was able to get the Omega to the 1/2 mile marker with a speed of 197mph. The car's handling was loose due to the implementation of factory aero components, but the throttle remained pegged to the floor. Ivan passed the 1 mile marker at 233.1mph.

It was a new record for the R35 GT-R, but not without a hitch. Due to a dip in the runway past the mile marker, the Omega's suspension compressed and lifted. Combined with the effect of the parachute, the force was enough to lift the rear wheels of the Omega off the ground. When the car rebounded, it lost control, sliding more than 90 degrees sideways. Ivan was able to regain control of the GT-R. Needless to say, there was much reason for the team to celebrate. The Omega now holds two major GT-R records in back to back weekends.

We plan to continue testing the limits of the GT-R platform with improved aero and a final drive gear. To follow the Alpha Omega GT-R project, join us at Alpha GT-R or AMS Performance on Facebook.

Special thanks to our sponsors: ADV1, Dodson Motorsport, Driveshaft Shop, Exedy, Nissan Motorsports, and Shepherd Transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
That was fuckin scary

Although we all know that thankfully Ivan controlled that scary jump-drift combo, every time I see it I hold my breath waiting for it to stop

Can't wait for a better track and a new record

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
you guys are CRAZY!!!!!!
That chute save you a GTR!!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Crazy driving Ivan glad you able to control the power slides.
Great work to the rest of the AMS team you guys have one bad ass car.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Holy Shit. I just let out a full balls out gasp in public..LOL
Amazing!! Scary!!! Crazy!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
That was truly amazing that the car didn't slightly dig in, hook and begin flipping... The top speed gods were with Ivan & AMS that day.

Well done & Congrats!

·
Kick_arse
1,025 Posts
Thats alot of balls to keep it under control, I guess that argument about the GTR not being aerodynamic can now be but to the rest, 233.1 @ 1250 whp seems just right, I believe some Ford GTs did 235 in the mile with Just a bit under 1300 whp....

·
Registered
195 Posts
its a shame they have not yet fixed those bumps on the track, that is negligence. It pissed me off watching it. Glad you guys made it out ok!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congrats, that was awesome
but the most intersting thing in the run is the 1\2 mile trap 197mph !!
I think it's the same trap of the LMR camaron in the 253mph run.

congrats again

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
So, basically this was Alpha 12 performance (around 235 mph should be expected from Alpha 12s, in the standing mile). Alpha Omega will exceed 245 mph, if you ask me. Even 250 is possible.

Well done AMS!!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.