Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone does oil filter analysis? If so, what company do you use? I was looking at doing it from my last oil change just as a precaution. I already checked with Blackstone and they don't do it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hear the Nismo filters are the best out there

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I only use Nismo oil filters on my GTR. MC brought this us 3 plus years ago.
The dealer asked me why I use thee aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up going through a company that works along side Blackstone (Second OilPinion) to get my oil filter analyzed. I was just curious on the condition of the filter and what was actually getting filtered during the longer 6k mile interval I recently did. The results were perfect with no sign/evidence of any metal particles and just a presence of carbon which is totally normal especially with a turbo-charged engine.

The big take away from going with the 6k interval was the newer "FS" formula OEM Mobil 1 0W-40 started to loose its viscosity rating; however, there was no evidence of abnormal wear or any engine damage on the oil analysis report. This does fall in line with what others have mentioned of the newer formula being a little thinner.

So in the end, if you street drive your stock or close to stock GT-R with no track and just spirited driving then there is no need to frequently change the oil every 2-3k miles. If you still feel a need to do it then by all means go for it but just know that the OEM oil can easily go the Nissan recommended 6k miles with no issues. Blackstone even said I could have gone 8k miles with no issues but I won't do it since that would exceed the Nissan interval.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very helpful, thanks

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GT-R Marine, you can use your Blackstone analysis to determine how your filter is performing. Patch testing and other forms of testing don't work for automotive filters.

Or post your UOA and I can tell you how it's doing.
No problem, here you go. Mind you this post you replied to was about a year ago and as you can see in this most current report I have done a couple more oil changes since.

bd22642aa05e11b0d13007125e9e5add.png

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yikes. GT-R Marine, with all respect, we have some issues on your beautiful car, which I can only imagine you maintain rigorously.

The filter is loading up with deposits and overall isn't performing too well. It's also compensating for the fuels dilution taking place.

1. How did you seat this engine? In it's current state, it is still not seated. Will continue to dilute and wear needlessly until fully seated.

2. How long do you let this engine warm up before you step on it? What's your driving style?

3. Mobil has very good viscosity modifiers and does not become acidic easily. It also is very tough oil to shear. But you're pretty much driving with an oil that's become a 30 weight pretty quickly. Time to switch oils and let me know the filter you use, OEM? Air + oil + what fuel you use and region of living.

4. Blackstone is giving good data but leaving you blind. We're missing the other 75% of the data from the oil that we need to truly understand what's going on. Air-Fuel Ratios, Spark system, Combustion dynamic and efficiency, ring seal, etc.

5. You're scraping that cylinder block and wrist pins a lot and deposits are forming. I would imagine acid is also high and that's not a M1 characteristic. Will provide recommendations as soon as you answer the top questions.
1. Engine was broken in/seated by the book per the owner's manual.

2. I always make sure fluids are warmed up to operating temperature before stepping on it.

3. Always used OEM oil filter. Lived in SoCal until just recently (warm, dry, dusty climate). Always used premium grade (91 octane highest in CA) with no additives or octane booster.

Lastly, I never had any mechanical issues with my GT-R so I am very surprised and taken back about your observations. I also don't see any signs of excessive wear of my engine based off my oil analysis reports. Hell, if anything, it's actually wearing better than other GT-R's based off my averages. Not to mention, I am using the oil to or close to its full 6k mile service interval; something many other GT-R owners don't do. Scraping the cylinder block and wrist pins? Dude are you serious!? Deposits forming? Did you take a scope down into my engine? If all of this was happening like you are saying why don't I see it as excessive wear in my oil analysis reports?

Sorry man, but you are coming up with some very far fetched claims about my GT-R that you have never seen or observed in person.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response. I will continue to monitor my UOAs more closely based off your suggestions.

I actually had one more oil sample taken back in May but unfortunately the sample never arrived at Blackstone (got lost in the mail). I'm never using Blackstone's pre-postage paid sample kits again. A previous sample was delayed by two weeks and this one was completely lost.

The .25 qt oil consumption you are speaking of from my last analysis happened during the interval I switched to Shell V-Power fuel back in September last year. Although I was obviously concerned about this sudden consumption, it turned out to be an isolated incident and never happened again. I even had my trusted GT-R mechanic run an oil consumption study on my GT-R and it came back negative with no additional consumption. Afterwards, I made a 3k mile coast to coast drive due to a military move with absolutely no oil consumption upon arrival.

The reason I switched to Shell Vpower last year was due to the great reviews by other owners and the fact I was sometimes going into low boost mode (9 PSI) during hotter summer weather with the previous brand of fuel I was using. Obviously in low boost mode the GT-R will also run rich to protect the engine from knock. This is a common problem for us that are forced to use 91 in CA and other western states. Since I switched to Shell, I haven't had any occurrences of low boost mode since.

Now that I have access to 93 Shell, I have immediately noticed an improvement in both power and gas mileage. I am also finally getting the full 15 PSI of boost vice only around 13-14 PSI when I was forced to use 91 in CA.

Again, thanks for taking a look at my reports and the insight.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Daniel,

Please tell us what your break in process is for new engines and older ones that have 15,000 miles. According to your info., all our engines are not broke in and are not doing well.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
danielONBOARD, Sounds good! I will let you know when my next oil analysis/change comes due and will send you a sample. Will send you PM when time comes to set up. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Nissan Broke the engines in from the factory, the GTR does not need a special procedure. You can track this motor off the lot.

Please tell me more about you can determine engine spark by looking at oil lol....

1 - 20 of 190 Posts