Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
These are the Filtergram images you wanted to have a look at. Could you give us some mileage/useage reports and oil types as we have been flying blind with these samples. I will give you my thoughts....
Transmission oil - looks to be doing it a little on the tough side. The types of metals seen here are consistent with a hard driven stock fill thats seen plenty of duty cycle

Engine oil - Typical GTR engine fill. A fair bit of dirt and 5 - 10 micron bearing material scattered through the sample.

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
is this a 10w60 oil?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Enshiu after futher contact I believe the engine oil to be Motul, and the transmission fluid to be something that Dodson markets. Again this is only information gained from a couple of samples that lobbed on our doorstep around two months back. Possibly the owner of the fluids could chime in with some more information!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Martin,

Thanks for your email correspondence and your posts on NAGTROC. The NAGTROC posts are what inspired me to have my GT-R fluids tested.

Enclosed are samples of Transmission Fluid (Dodson >86F version) and Engine Oil (Red Line 0W-40).

The purpose of having the samples objectively tested is so I can determine just how hard my track sessions & the coach's race session are on my fluids so I know how often I need to change them out. I am also curious about how the Dodson Trans Fluid held up to the abuse. Since these samples were taken, I have changed the Trans Fluid to the WillAll Lite and have changed the engine oil & filter (RedLine 0W-40 & K&N filter) and the Differential Fluids changed (RedLine 75W-140). I do believe the WillAll Lite Trans Fluid is a better match to my cooler driving conditions here at Lake Tahoe, Nevada, but my track sessions are typically at 85-95F ambient temps. I may get an objective Trans Fluid test of my WillAll Lite at some point.

I've had 3 track days this summer with some focused/all day coaching. Ambient hi temp 85deg (pretty low temps compared to average track temps this time of year) & low relative humidity:
Max Engine Oil Temp: 222
Max Trans Fluid Temp: 257
Max Coolant Temp: 203

However, I let my coach drive me around for a session (COBB level 3) & he blew away all the other coaches (the ZR1 did not come out):
Max Engine Oil Temp: 233
Max Trans Fluid Temp: 289 -yikes! Looks like I'll be needing a full size trans cooler for the next round of mods this off season!
Max Coolant Temp: 210

I don't think I'll let the coach drive my car again anytime soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.