Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obligatory introduction, where to start....

This week I purchased a 2015 GT-R Black Edition, which was more of an impulse purchase, and now starting the path to enlightenment on all things surrounding this monster. New the chassis but not new at all to the line of cars. Back when I was still in the military I managed to score 3 1/2 years living in Japan which is where the addiction really kicked off for me. Shortly after living in Japan I founded SkylineOwnersUSA.com and later came Rivsu Imports LLC out in Florida. Back in 2011 I had an R33 seized by Homeland Security, some of you may have seen the news about that floating around the internet back then. My personal life took an odd direction after having the car seized and forking over endless amounts of money to battle the Department of Justice with no end in sight.

In 2013 I grew tired of the daily grind working hard for others with no real reward or satisfaction, which lead me to building up Rivsu Imports from scratch. This is where I started to rebuild my personal collection of cars following the nightmare of fighting the government from 2011 to 2012. The first car to add to the stable was a 1986 R31 GTS that I grabbed from auction in Japan. Couldn't ask for a better car to start over with. Grade 4 from auction with no real mods to it, just straight stock and very reliable.

While the R31 offered endless enjoyment it still didn't quite hit the spot for me. I eventually set my sights on acquiring a 1990 Nismo R32 GT-R to import under Show/Display. After months of searching the dealership networks in Japan I had finally located Nismo #280 out of 560 made by Nissan. It took a few months but eventually I managed to get approval from NHTSA and brought the car to Florida. Finally with Nismo #280 I had completely satisfied my addiction, or so I thought. The car has been an absolute dream to own and I have no plans on ever getting rid of it. It's mostly stock and has made drives from Florida to Atlanta and to Texas and back without even breaking a sweat.

After owning both the R32 and R31 for awhile I had started to realize how much I didn't want to deal with tracking down parts when I needed them, even though I own an import company. This lead me to purchasing a R31 parts car which sits at my shop waiting for the day that I need to replace something on my main R31.

At this point my collection was growing a little out of hand for the average homeowner to just park cars in the driveway but this didn't stop me from my very odd and extreme impulse purchase from a government liquidation auction..... a 1993 M923A2 BMY Harsco 5 ton with M1102 trailer.

By this time I was already at the level of "wife aggro" whenever I mentioned wanting more vehicles for myself. So, in an act of compromising for my next purchase I had to ensure that my wife could also get in on the car addiction which is when we ended up grabbing the 508th GT-R manufactured by Nissan for her. By sheer luck she scored this beautiful GT-R that only had very minor imperfections which later was upgraded with a R33 V Spec N1 motor.

This of course was all I needed to move on to my next purchase, a 1971 Hakosuka. This car was hands down the perfect purchase I was looking for at the time. After months of searching for the right car within my budget I managed to push the negotiation of a deal with the father of the owner of Fujitsubo, who likes to restore cars and collect them. This car has since been one of the best cars I've brought over from Japan and couldn't ask for a better car of this age. We're currently in the process of doing a rebuild on the motor to freshen things up.

Nearly a year later I started to get the itch again to get another car. Dating back to when I first got the R31, I had always wanted to own one of the 800 GTS-R units made by Nissan. This month I came upon the deal of a lifetime, a GTS-R for sale in Japan from a seller that didn't know what a GTS-R was. For the price, I couldn't pass it up.

This GTS-R is not by any means the cleanest one on the market but for the price I paid I couldn't ignore it, so it's on it's way to Florida where I'll have it looked over and work on restoring it. At this point though I couldn't win anymore battles with the wife so I had to come to the realization that owner 3 R31 Skylines just wasn't practical and it was time to finally sell my first R31 to make room for the GTS-R. Interesting enough I didn't really have an itch to get another car after the GTS-R, however earlier in the month we were out in Dallas for the Skyline Nationals event where I had my first real taste of the R35 chassis thanks to a good friend from the community. Myself and the wife both got behind the driver's seat of a 2012 GT-R Black Edition and it took all of 5 minutes for my wife to yell "I'm getting me one of these".

I'll admit that for years coming from the Skyline community I wasn't a major fan of the new GT-R but it grew on me. After driving one I started to get the itch again. This week, in a very random chain of events, I woke up Wednesday morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go test drive some cars which took us straight to our local Nissan dealership. While driving to the dealership we were making our plans on what kind of GT-R we'd like to (one day) own, with no real intention of purchasing one that day. Our initial plan was to look for a black or dark gray exterior color with black/red interior, and with a recommendation from my friend to get a Black Edition. Being the owner of a Nismo GT-R I naturally thought how great it would be to just grab a new Nismo GT-R to park next to my 1990 model. Once we got to the dealership we immediately walked in the door and they had two 2015 GT-R models in the showroom, one black and one red. We spent a little time doing a mobile search of the local dealerships to see who had what and the average prices before walking in, so we had a basic idea of what we were up against. After looking at both units we started to find that the Regal Red color was really growing on us. It didn't take long for my wife to determine that she wanted nothing but Regal Red which lead to us purchasing it on the spot after looking at it long enough.

My wife and I completely fell in love with this car after about an hour. Brand new, no previous owner, but it had been used by the dealership as a demo car so it had a few thousand miles on it. The car was perfect but for the price and mileage I couldn't help but play hard with negotiations to knock the price down to an acceptable level that I'd feel good about. The fact that a handful of people at the dealership knew all about our company seemed to play in our favor as well. After locking in the deal and signing my life away it was time to take our new GT-R home to the rest of the collection. Before leaving the dealership we were offered a chance to spin their prize wheel since we spent a lot of money with them. This is where things got interesting for us....

My wife didn't want to spin the wheel, neither did I, but she ended up biting that bullet and took the spin. While the wheel was slowly clicking away to it's final position it was almost like something out of the movies. Everyone in the dealership, customers included, were watching this wheel as it slowly (click, click, click) right into the big yellow "Trip to Italy" spot. Everyone lost it and we couldn't believe what just happened. Not but 30 minutes prior we watched another couple spin the wheel and walk away with a $50 GPS, here we are getting a trip to Italy following our new GT-R purchase.

BEST.... DAY....EVER!

Just a few days into ownership of this monster and we couldn't be happier. It's a completely new experience from the older R chassis cars, though I will admit that I still enjoy my Nismo R32 more. The power, comfort, and technology is very impressive. Much fun will be had with this car in the future, after catching up on the forums here and becoming more enlightened on the platform. To complete my collection I'll still be looking to grab another R33 and a R34 when they become legal and more affordable. Kenmeri and an R30 would be last on my list and I'm still not yet convinced on the C210 Skyline (not a fan of it's looks). Eventually I'll own them all when time, space, and money allows.

So that's my introduction. Glad to be here and look forward to meeting some folks in the future.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Can't go wrong with that Regal red BE -- gorgeous car & congrats!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That...was...one...HELL OF A STORY! Welcome my friend, I think I might want to get in contact with you about getting something from Japan in the near future.. Enjoy the new ride

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Love your history of cars. You are a very loyal enthusiast. Congratulations on the new car, it looks great. Your icing on the cake (trip to Italy) is really incredible...way to top off the purchase!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments and feedback! Day 5 now and the Regal Red has really hit the spot for me. I'm now thinking of doing a little bit of tasteful carbon fiber additions to the exterior to mesh well with the red.

The roller coaster and evolution of the car collection has been an interesting one for sure. It's a nice feeling though to have bounced back from the absolute bottom after government issues to a point where I'm comfortable and satisfied. I have a bottle of Sake sitting at the house that I brought back from Japan last year, might be about time to pop it open and celebrate before heading off to Italy.

Nice car collection, so you're an importer?
I own the company that does all the work, I'd say I'm more like the guy that just signs things now
but yes, though I'm not really here to advertise it as I believe they have forum rules to abide by. We may contact the forum staff in the near future to inquire about becoming an authorized vendor on here however.

My wife and I have been talking about the exhaust for a few days so I think right now that's priority #1 to upgrade. We're still doing our homework on which setup would be more ideal.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Awesome. In regards to exhaust, can't go wrong with a midpipe for starters. Probably one of the best bang for your buck mods and it is a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

Awesome. In regards to exhaust, can't go wrong with a midpipe for starters. Probably one of the best bang for your buck mods and it is a HUGE difference.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that previously so I'll for sure look into it.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that previously so I'll for sure look into it.
No problem. The reason why they're so popular, is that you are deleting 2 of the car's 4 catalytic converters, thus freeing up a LOT of exhaust restriction, along with a good amount of weight. So, the sound difference is immediate and very noticeable, as well as the wheel hp increase. Also, no check engine light because the O2 sensors are installed before the factory midpipe.

·
RED MONSTER
1,796 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

A few years back you could swing a nice KGC10 for mid 20's to mid 30's and it'd be a nice car. The market went crazy thanks to recent RM Auctions sales that sent the C10 values through the roof. These days you'll start on the low end of the stick in the 30's and find that you're not happy with the condition results for that budget range anymore. Good clean cars now pull nearly double what they were previously. I wouldn't pay less than $50,000 if you can manage to afford it and want something "nice" that doesn't require work or restoration. C10 with the S20 will go $150,000 and up easily these days considering $200,000+ margins at RM Auctions. Everyone in Japan watches the US market now and that drives the prices in Japan up.

You're close, they were around $30k-50k until some examples started to push up the price to well over $100k. That was well before I heard of KGC10 being sold overseas, which helped push the prices up even higher :-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts