Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some questions about these critters as pets . . .

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
Have some questions about these critters as pets . . .
I'm told that some common non-venomous snakes like the Fox snake are interesting. "Pet" is a term that doesn't fit snakes too well. In general, they have little intelligence and react on instinct; they have no affectionate natures like dogs and cats, or most common domesticated mammals. They can become habituated to handling, and not biting, but that's about all you can expect. Like other reptiles or amphibians, if you take the time and expense to give them a nice habitat...clean it regularly...and feed them the proper foods, you'll have something to enjoy watching, but perhaps that's all you should expect.

They're not for children, if you want to be "fair" to both the child and the snake.

Alexd

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm no expert;but my daughter has had a ball python since '05. Pretty cool pet&the kid likes it. I've had snakes as pets on&off for the last 30 yrs or so,mostly boa's

·
The Reptile Guy
643 Posts
Snakes?

What do you want to know? Been breeding for about 22-years; everything from pythons to boas to colubrids. I do not work with venomous however..

I'd post a link to my website but I don't want to violate forum rules.

Vic

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would really like the link. Considering a cool ball python morph or a gtb. Shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My neighbor is really into it. He has a boa, a king snake, and a sidewinder. Last I checked. He feeds the boa rats and voles. I gave him a gopher that I had whacked. I once contemplated keeping a rattler that my dad caught, but wisdom eventually prevailed. Even the pros eventually get bit, so I'll leave it there.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is one of the most fucked up things I have ever seen. What kind of sick fucks would do that to their child.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've had a snake for 23 years, the same snake. What would you like to know? My snake knows the difference between me and her food. Today they teach to feed the snake in a different cage than the one it normally stays in, I wasn't taught that 23 years ago, but never had a problem. This is so you can reach in and grab the snake without them thinking it feeding time. If you go to petco (not sure if they have them where you are) they can give you a print out about the type of snake you want that tells you what they eat, living environment, how long they live, etc. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jeremy

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to go to Repticon here next month just because I think it sounds so ridiculous. Really like the green tree pythons as something cool to look at. Not sure that I have a desire to handle one or own one.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
hate snakes.. I see no pleasure from owning one. You might as well get a tarantula. To each their own i guess.lol

to me a True Pet is a dog .

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
hate snakes.. I see no pleasure from owning one. You might as well get a tarantula. To each their own i guess.lol

to me a True Pet is a dog .
Im just hoping our snake will get big enough&use my wife for dinner

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im just hoping our snake will get big enough&use my wife for dinner
Haha!

Maybe just a chameleon for me then.

Maybe something cool like this:

or:

or this:

They seem pretty darn cool to me! I want a low hassle apartment pet and hermit crabs simply seem too lame.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
or a blue one?:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wow,those are absolutely amazing looking

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That cobra in the YouTube clip was evidently defanged or else the baby wouldn't be quite so oblivious to the head strikes,
... nor the bystanders, at least one would presume...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts