Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started to get a P1220 code on Cobb AP. It doesn't re-set so my possible interpretation is a blown fuse. If so, can I get some help on this; is the fuse next to the battery or down inside the car next to the left foot area?

If this is the problem, then the next question will be whether a new fuse blows or not, and if it does, does this mean a failing/bad pump?

Lastly (I have Walbro 485s) can a failing pump be tested/analyzed through possible resistance measurements, from connections under the hood?

Alexd

·
Registered
233 Posts
Check the top left blue 15A fuse by the battery compartment. If its blown, it could be that your pumps are running too hot and causing the fuse to blow. You may want to switch to a hardwired setup.

Circuit component Networking cables Electrical wiring Engineering Electronic engineering

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
The same code popped up on Saturday and it required a full ignition cycle to clear. Also running dual 485s with Fore FC3 controller and hardwire kit. The car was just sitting idle for a few minutes when it occurred. Tank was 9/10 full with E70. It took a little while to clear but it did eventually clear. The fuse in the driver's footwell looked fine. Didn't get a chance to check the fuse next to the battery. It hasn't come back on since.

Interested in what ends up being the fix. Are you hardwired and what other supporting fuel mods are in the car?

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same code popped up on Saturday and it required a full ignition cycle to clear. Also running dual 485s with Fore FC3 controller and hardwire kit. The car was just sitting idle for a few minutes when it occurred. Tank was 9/10 full with E70. It took a little while to clear but it did eventually clear. The fuse in the driver's footwell looked fine. Didn't get a chance to check the fuse next to the battery. It hasn't come back on since.

Interested in what ends up being the fix. Are you hardwired and what other supporting fuel mods are in the car?
I am hardwired, but I brought it to an excellent tuner this morning; they checked everything out including the pumps. No fuse was blown. Anyway, they finally cleared the code by re-flashing the MAP...otherwise Cobb's Re-Set wouldn't do it. Don't know what caused it...

Alexd

·
Registered
233 Posts
Anyway, they finally cleared the code by re-flashing the MAP...otherwise Cobb's Re-Set wouldn't do it. Don't know what caused it...
I would ask them directly what they did to fix it, because they may have just covered it up by removing the P1220 DTC from the map. Every single DTC can be cleared by a reset, if they come back after the reset, it means the problem is still there. Only permanent DTC's can't be cleared and P1220 is not a permanent DTC.

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would ask them directly what they did to fix it, because they may have just covered it up by removing the P1220 DTC from the map. Every single DTC can be cleared by a reset, if they come back after the reset, it means the problem is still there. Only permanent DTC's can't be cleared and P1220 is not a permanent DTC.
I agree, and your reasoning is exactly like mine, as to this problem.
Yes, I had extensive talks; we went over in detail everything that was done...it's a puzzle.
After the re-Map clearing of the code, the code did not come back...so that symptom has to be integrated with "the problem is still there." (driven 50 miles so far and multiple starts)

I occasionally had gotten a U1010 code also; this is cleared by a re-set.. However, unlike the P1220 code, this results in a full SES display. Extensive checking was done at terminals but showed nothing unusual.

Alexd

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
@alexdavis Has there been any reoccurrences since clearing the code?

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@alexdavis Has there been any reoccurrences since clearing the code?
No, but it's Winter in Illinois and snow and rain have limited my wish to go driving with the car. So, there's been no re-occurrence but not enough driving to be giving it a good test.

There is also a possibility that an irregularity with Cobb AP causes a circumstance where it "reports" that the code isn't cleared, but it really is cleared. If this happens to be true, the clearing with a re-map is a work-around of the problem.

Alexd

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
No, but it's Winter in Illinois and snow and rain have limited my wish to go driving with the car. So, there's been no re-occurrence but not enough driving to be giving it a good test.

There is also a possibility that an irregularity with Cobb AP causes a circumstance where it "reports" that the code isn't cleared, but it really is cleared. If this happens to be true, the clearing with a re-map is a work-around of the problem.

Alexd
The weather has also impeded my ability to go drive the car and log. The roads finally cleared up enough this week to allow some logging time. After replacing the 6-year old OEM battery, I was hoping that would resolve the issue. While the battery was out we verified the fuses and they look fine but P1220 and his buddies returned.

Although P1220 is a DTC that pops up, it isn't the primary. The first two that initially pop up are P0113 (Intake air temperature sensor (bank 1) circuit high input ) and C1130. After clearing those two, P1220 then pops up and replaces the P0113 as the primary DTC while C1130 still remains. After comparing the logs pre/post DTC, it looks like my Omni TMAP sensor is on its way out. The logs show random -50 degree IAT readings and is being replaced under warranty and I'm hoping that is the main trigger for P1220 and C1130. Won't find out for sure until the new TMAP sensor arrives.

You mentioned U1010 codes in one of the previous posts which seem to be CAN bus errors. I wonder if Cobb handles these type of sensor issues differently. What type of SD kit and sensors did AMS use in your build?

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The weather has also impeded my ability to go drive the car and log. The roads finally cleared up enough this week to allow some logging time. After replacing the 6-year old OEM battery, I was hoping that would resolve the issue. While the battery was out we verified the fuses and they look fine but P1220 and his buddies returned.

Although P1220 is a DTC that pops up, it isn't the primary. The first two that initially pop up are P0113 (Intake air temperature sensor (bank 1) circuit high input ) and C1130. After clearing those two, P1220 then pops up and replaces the P0113 as the primary DTC while C1130 still remains. After comparing the logs pre/post DTC, it looks like my Omni TMAP sensor is on its way out. The logs show random -50 degree IAT readings and is being replaced under warranty and I'm hoping that is the main trigger for P1220 and C1130. Won't find out for sure until the new TMAP sensor arrives.

You mentioned U1010 codes in one of the previous posts which seem to be CAN bus errors. I wonder if Cobb handles these type of sensor issues differently. What type of SD kit and sensors did AMS use in your build?
I don't know the answer to your last question. I do know that not all sensors can be enabled with my particular SD arrangement, and I must re-MAP to MAF for emission testing (where one sensor still doesn't enable, but one sensor disabled ONLY allows passage if there are no DTCs) The U1010 throws a SES on the display, while the P1220 by itself doesn't.

Surprisingly (to me) one tuner said that they pass emissions with SD...I need to look further into this.

Alexd

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't know the answer to your last question. I do know that not all sensors can be enabled with my particular SD arrangement, and I must re-MAP to MAF for emission testing (where one sensor still doesn't enable, but one sensor disabled ONLY allows passage if there are no DTCs) The U1010 throws a SES on the display, while the P1220 by itself doesn't.

Surprisingly (to me) one tuner said that they pass emissions with SD...I need to look further into this.

Alexd
NM, wrong thread

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

The weather has been so crappy that I haven't been out with the GT-R. But, in the few miles that I did drive the car, the error code didn't come back.
My tuner went over the car and contact-sprayed and inspected every connector; that never hurts and might have been the solution.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm disappointed with AMS, and am using another builder/tuner. They also gave me a SD map. No sensors were changed however. I have "Vibrants" on my DPs; same for many years.

Alexd

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I'm disappointed with AMS, and am using another builder/tuner. They also gave me a SD map. No sensors were changed however. I have "Vibrants" on my DPs; same for many years.

Alexd
That's unfortunate and have heard the same experience from others regarding AMS lately. Not sure if it also applies to the GTR platform but some have mentioned tuning for the Audi/Lambo V10 has been outsourced to M-Engineering.

Your car must have already been SD with the standard AMS setup (MAF sensors in charge pipes pre-TB for IAT, dual map sensors in charge pipes, and 4 or 5 BAR MAP sensor in the intake manifold).

My issue was confirmed as being a failing TMAP sensor on the passenger side charge pipe. After a couple of long drives, I don't see any more codes triggered and the IAT readings are normal again. Although Omni was quick to replace the sensor under warranty, I bought a spare just in case it happens again.

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's unfortunate and have heard the same experience from others regarding AMS lately. Not sure if it also applies to the GTR platform but some have mentioned tuning for the Audi/Lambo V10 has been outsourced to M-Engineering.

Your car must have already been SD with the standard AMS setup (MAF sensors in charge pipes pre-TB for IAT, dual map sensors in charge pipes, and 4 or 5 BAR MAP sensor in the intake manifold).

My issue was confirmed as being a failing TMAP sensor on the passenger side charge pipe. After a couple of long drives, I don't see any more codes triggered and the IAT readings are normal again. Although Omni was quick to replace the sensor under warranty, I bought a spare just in case it happens again.
Thanks for the update.

What was "caught" by my current builder/tuner was a part installed backward and a main terminal for the ECU/TCM PARTIALLY CONNECTED, shortly after the Omega 12 upgrade (a year or so ago) No end to multiple codes from that, at the time. And expenses to me in dollars and time. Just sloppy work; big change in workmanship from my experience with them from years ago, and aggravated by the current appalling management.

Alexd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts