Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting Switzer to change suspension, brakes, P800, and flex-fuel to my car. I decided to give the paint a little love. Took the car to a local detailer. Paint was in bad shape and I thought the results were pretty good considering what I was starting with. The shop ended up making an advertisement video out of my car. Gives some pretty good shots of the GTR. Thought I would share.

·
Registered
321 Posts
HHHHNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Just had the same thing done to mine at the man cave. These ceramic coatings are worth every dollar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 4 stage paint correction done and clear bra put over hood, carbon fiber pieces then ceramic pro. I do not know what the cost would have been for just a detail with ceramic pro application. I have washed my car once since having this done. It does seem to clean easier and looks waxed after a basic cleaning.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Nice. I been looking for a place that does the ceramic pro via spray vs hand application.

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
Chemical Guys has a diy ceramic product called C9.
Nice tip! I'm good with a DA polisher. I don't like putting my skills to use, so this is helpful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our shop does 100% Ceramic Pro coatings only. No more waxes or sealants. Every customer is a happy one to be sure. In fact I shared the video Zach created with your car on my page :) #famous

-Seth, Redmond Wa.
MY14 Super Silver - Track Edition

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve, thank you so much for sharing our video. I'm happy to answerquestions anyone may have in regards to the work done on the vehicle's paint. Have a great day all!!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Would love to get thus done asap.....does anybody have a shop they can vouch for in nyc.
Detailing dynamics is always mentioned in NYC

Endless shine detailing in Long Island
Is a ceramic pro Certified

DoubleRdetailing.com a fellow Gtr owner used and had great results.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the following?

Opticoat
Ceramic Pro
CQuartz

Seems like quotes for opticoat are cheaper than the other two, (in the $650 range)... I think the lower price is just because it's an older product and not necessarily from a performance standpoint. I heard ceramic pro has a nicer luster, shine to it. But this comment came from a detailer that uses it. I heard CQuartz is not a permanent sealant... Which makes me think it's no better than a standard carnauba wax job. Given how thin these coatings are, (at some point you may need to buff swirls or scratches out and once you buff this down your coating is basically gone), basically none of these are truly permanent. I'm leaning towards opticoat at the moment simply from a cost / benefit standpoint but would like to hear from some of you folks that actually have these products on your GTR's or have used these products on prior vehicles.

Convince me one way or the other... Paying over 1k for a fancy gimmicky detail seems like a serious waste of money.

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
Don't believe the hype.

I find it humorous that they take something with a hardness of 9 or 10 and strike at it with a piece of plastic. Or claims that it will protect against rock chips.

What you have here is a synthetic compound that is long lasting, but not permanent. Let's assume for a second that it is, then you wouldn't have to maintain it, ever. You wouldn't have to reapply it, condition it, or apply a booster to it.

You already have a permanent barrier, it's called a clearcoat.

These ceramic chemical treatments may pass a hardness test, but it's brittle and if you are lucky several micron thick. It's lattice doesn't dissipate energy like a clear bra which is a flexible, superior barrier. When the lattice of these treatments dissipates energy from a rock strike, from contaminants that eat away at it, from an acorn that falls from the tree, this creates micro pockets or pores if you will. Those pores trap dirt, bend light just like a scratch, stick out like thumbs and make the surface appear less hydrophobic. Even your fingerprints leave scratches only they are so microscopic you don't see them.

You are better off getting another clearcoat put on top after correction.

Do you want to know the secret of how to keep paint looking new for decades? Or an interior? You maintain it by put it under a real barrier or you correct it.

My 95,000 mile Supra maintained by me. Seats when they have a cover. There's no miracle barrier to substitute for good maintenance and I know what my GT-R will look like after 20 years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
John, feel free to call me. I left a reply to your message on forum. I'd be happy to share with you everything I know about these products. I can also demo them to you on my GTR.

-Seth, Redmond Wa.
MY14 Super Silver - Track Edition

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That is a very clean BSP supra you have... Nicely maintained. I had a 97 quicksilver twin turbo. Should have kept it. I agree with your sentiment... And I am not entirely convinced that these coatings are superior to a good wax. Maybe I'm old school. I can get a decent wax several times a year for 5 years at the price some of these coatings go for.

I am a fan of expel ultimate as that is truly a barrier for the elements. I have expel on the front bumper. Thinking about getting the fenders and hood done after I correct the paint.

Don't believe the hype.

I find it humorous that they take something with a hardness of 9 or 10 and strike at it with a piece of plastic. Or claims that it will protect against rock chips.

What you have here is a synthetic compound that is long lasting, but not permanent. Let's assume for a second that it is, then you wouldn't have to maintain it, ever. You wouldn't have to reapply it, condition it, or apply a booster to it.

You already have a permanent barrier, it's called a clearcoat.

These ceramic chemical treatments may pass a hardness test, but it's brittle and if you are lucky several micron thick. It's lattice doesn't dissipate energy like a clear bra which is a flexible, superior barrier. When the lattice of these treatments dissipates energy from a rock strike, from contaminants that eat away at it, from an acorn that falls from the tree, this creates micro pockets or pores if you will. Those pores trap dirt, bend light just like a scratch, stick out like thumbs and make the surface appear less hydrophobic. Even your fingerprints leave scratches only they are so microscopic you don't see them.

You are better off getting another clearcoat put on top after correction.

Do you want to know the secret of how to keep paint looking new for decades? Or an interior? You maintain it by put it under a real barrier or you correct it.

My 95,000 mile Supra maintained by me. Seats when they have a cover. There's no miracle barrier to substitute for good maintenance and I know what my GT-R will look like after 20 years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts