Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and looking to switch from vette to gtr. I found a low milage 2012 for sell at a dealer. Made an offer and finally they accepted (85k). It has 3200 miles. It's out-of-state so been working w/ them via email. They disclosed to me that it has a "couple" of spots they describe as water marks that is "hardly" noticeable unless under floresent lighting (it's on their showroom floor). The sales mgr says they sold it originally and it has been there since they got it. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with these anyone else have this issue??? I want my first experience to be good but I'm VERY anal about my cars and this might drive me crazy. Seems this is a defect from the manufactor and should be covered under warranty but it is Nissan and I've heard they're a no before yes dealer. We've owned many infinitis and treated like gold but we spend plenty w/ them.

Second question in your oppion if the wait and 15k more for the 13 is worth it.

Thanks, I'm a newby but hope to be a regular.

·
Founder/Admin
26,232 Posts
paint quality is not one of the GTRs best known attributes..... i know every one has different standards but a few spots here and there wouldnt deter me.... rock chips and scratches thats another thing...but little imperfections in the clear coat and water spots are probably going to be a reality and a detail guy could most likely get what they are talking about out.... earlier GTRs had some issues with paint bubbling where the headlight and the bumper meet but that was fixed .....

my 2012 came covered with tiny little metallic looking almost faded dots on the clear coat and the rear windshield.... its what they call "rail dust" but thats because it was special transported by nissan across country and spent alot of time on a train.... it bothered me for like a week then i havent given it a second thought until posting right now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His detail shop can't get it out which makes me think it's under the clear coat. There's one rock chip in the hood size of an eraser. That's going to happen but the other scares me.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Paying that kind of money, you should be very comfortable about any purchase, it's great they are being honest about the spots. Playing the devil's advocate, them pointing it out could be a red flag; it could also mean the spots are more than barely noticeable.

I am sure one of the forum members in the area could go take a look at the car to assess the paint flaws for you? But opinions and standards are highly subjective, one person sees a slight imperfection, you see the Marianas Trench!

$15K more for a '13, that's roughly an extra $300 per month, are the differences in the '13 worth the extra dough over the'12? There are many factors to consider, brand spanking new car, no paint issues, depreciation, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Initially I ordered a 2013 and in the interim, found a used, one owner, very low mileage 2009 (1,700 miles) with a full warranty at a phenomenal price, I asked myself this question, "would it be worth spending the extra $34K to buy the '13?" The answer was no, so I cancelled my order. I can use the extra money to mod the car if necessary or wait for the R36 version and buy that one new. I am very happy with my decision. In your case, you sound like you are very meticulous like myself, these imperfections will drive you crazy in the long run, it seems like they already have!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it 85K out the door, or 85 + + +? Also is it a premium or a Black edition? Post the vin, see if it belong to a member on the board. I am sure you can ask a member to take a look at the car or you. The paint on the GTR is a joke. I am thinking about wrapping my to protect the paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jn1ar5ef8cm250347 is the vin. They tried adding this and that fee but 85k is all I'd pay. It's the premium. The black w/ BE locally (new) has the red trim and being from OK I'm NOT an OU fan so red isn't an option. Plus I hate keeping black cars clean (see anal comment above). Gun metal is the only color I personally really like and there's none for sale (w/o paying 10k over msrp nationally). I won't be financing it but frugal w/ my $$$. However my zr-1 gm engineering I'm done w/ them. I have 18k miles and the seat looks like it has 400k miles on it. There's also several things that aren't in line that I've had them fix. Sigh.... Just time for a gtr ;-).

·
Registered
271 Posts
So is 85k with shipping and tax? Does this car have back up cam, and floor mats. If it is then thats a good deal. Are you doing the deal with you ZR-1? Have you check the GTR for sell section. I think there are 2 2012 gun metal, one with 2300 mile and one with 2600 which is less then the one your looking at. It even seems like there is a few mods done to these. If your paying cash, I am sure these seller will negotiate on the price.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Don't belive anything the dealer says, its probably a lie. I'm sure the marks were not there from day one or the person who bought the car would have complained.

See what exactly they tried to remove the marks. Make sure a Detailer actually looked at the car, not just the car wash guys they use in the service department.

Post up some pics here for us to see what the marks look like. My 2012 Gunmetal has 5,500 miles on it now, no marks in the paint, but I'm starting to get rock chips. As you will learn, Nissan paint is not great. Invest in a clear bra, I'm having one installed very soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you TomG37, it's sitting on their showroom floor and when I was talking w/ the sales mgr he was looking at it. He said he tried taking pics but they don't show up. You're probably right, I shouldn't believe him. 647chang, shipping will be on my dime I don't expect them to pay for that. Tax is what it is and every state is different here in OK I'll get to pay a heavy price but that's life ;0). I will look on here and see what others have to offer as well as go shopping for a dealer locally for a 2013. I expect good service being that my neighbor is the Service Mgr at one eight miles away but he's not on the sales side. Already asked that mgr to get me a new 2012 (since the black BE on their floor isn't to my suiting) his reply was we only get three a year and that's my second one. Well dip #### order me one and that's your three (yet to call me back) LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts