Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, in the near future I am doing engine build and upgrade turbo. Most likely, I have chosen who to go with. But I just want to make sure that I made the right decision.

For the engine internals, which would be better if price is not a factor and only quality and performance is prioritized.

JE Pistons and Manley Rods
OR
CP Pistons and Carrillo Rods

After doing some research, I am thinking of doing the turbo upgrade first since my engine is only around 16000kms. But I will definitely do the engine swap later after I put some miles on my current engine. I just thought it would be a waste if I swap the engine now and put my current engine sitting in the garage as I am using new core with my built engine. So I would appreciate it if you could give me some suggestion and advice on which one to choose. Thank you.

-Alpha 9 (My first choice)

-HKS GT800

-OEM IHI modified turbos

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have no experience in this, but Mahle Pistons with Cosworth Rods seems like a nice combo I would consider as well. However, the choices of internal components you have to choose from really depend on your target HP. Some pistons are stronger than others but will be heavier, so are the rods. The lighter the components the more responsive and the higher rpm you can go (assuming you have upgraded valve train and springs)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
With Alpha 9 it would be a waste swapping the entire engine for a new one, just get the rods and pistons and use the engine you have.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I'm selling my set of cp pistons Carrillo Rods with upgraded pins and bolts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You have a lot of good options. For pistions and rods I like Manley rods and JE Pistions. I have used JE's for years and they are great. Just make sure your piston and rod combo fits together, because some rods don't fit into some pistons.

As for the turbos you can't go wrong with any of the above, Alpha 9's have been proven, and work great. HKS 800 is also a very nice kit. And I also like my turbos

All of them have pluses and minuses.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
anyone have feedback with brian crower rods and je piston combo? just ordered them for my car

·
Enthusiast
755 Posts
anyone have feedback with brian crower rods and je piston combo? just ordered them for my car
BC rods tend to have a lesser reputation than carillo, manley etc cause they are cheaper, but never seen one of their I beam (gtr rods) fail over internet boards. Plus they are a little lighter than manley (but heavier than carillo h-beam).

Would like to know if someone has any experience with the carrillo super a beam for gtr which should wistand 800-1000hp without problems for around 1100$.

GTC longer rods with custom short pin piston should be good for high pressure combo like gtx cartridge which like high pressure (less stress on the bores, longer rod/stoke ratio).

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Just make sure your piston and rod combo fits together, because some rods don't fit into some pistons.
+1

Also some forged/billet pistons are noisier than others.. make sure you get them coated if they re not already. Also valve springs (mostly dual) are noisier than OEM ones so be prepared for that.

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Has anyone give any thought to the new Manley pistons. They look like they have the potential to reduce slap on start up

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Sorry to thread jack.. Im wondering how you buy a set of matched piston and a set of matched rod combo without the need to rebalance the entire bottom end like the HKS piston and rod set. How does HKS do it?

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Don't worry with HKS. I read that too. But I spoke at length with Shimada at Kansai Service which does alot of HKS builds and he said they rebalance regardless of Step 1 and Step 2

1 - 20 of 45 Posts