Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an app called Waze, it's available for iOS,Android, Windows phones. I've been using it for about a year now and it's saved me numerous times from getting a ticket. It's based off other users using the app. The user then reports things such as, Police, Accidents, Objects in the road ahead ect. It comes in handy, specially for TX2K. Sometimes a radar detector just isn't enough. Can never be to careful!

See you guys in TX!
Have fun, Stay safe!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wow, tips on street racing right on the heels of this incident in LA. Cool.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, tips on street racing right on the heels of this incident in LA. Cool.
I'm not taken anything away from that incident. It was very unfortunate for those involved. But, the Waze app can be used for many different things other then for "street racing" my friend. This isn't the first time someone has died due to street racing. And not everyone is just gonna throw away their radar detectors now and by a mini van because of it. It's reality..

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use Waze here in LA too... as the Lost Hills Sheriff's Office is known for its strong-arm tatics for revenue enhancement, and it is great to know where they are hiding ahead of time.

Just think that with this incident being fresh in everybody's mind, people would think twice before doing highway racing there...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just think that with this incident being fresh in everybody's mind, people would think twice before doing highway racing there...
It will def be on my mind, every time you go WOT you're risking your life and anyone involved and sometimes not involved. I guess it's the price we pay for that adrenaline rush we crave.

·
Front Mount 2500 HP
3,696 Posts
I use this app all the time down here in Toronto, its truly amazing - the best map app I have ever come across !

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I use Waze here in LA too... as the Lost Hills Sheriff's Office is known for its strong-arm tatics for revenue enhancement, and it is great to know where they are hiding ahead of time.

Nothing can stop TX2K from happening, I personally think that the police have given up on trying to stop guys on the highway and as long as it's done at times with the least amount of people in the highways (3am-5am) then it's all fine.

It's unfortunate what happen in CA but all Blare was tryna do is look out for others with suggesting the app.

·
The World Warrior
7,254 Posts
Nothing can stop TX2K from happening, I personally think that the police have given up on trying to stop guys on the highway and as long as it's done at times with the least amount of people in the highways (3am-5am) then it's all fine.

It's unfortunate what happen in CA but all Blare was tryna do is look out for others with suggesting the app.
BINGO!

·
The World Warrior
7,254 Posts
It will def be on my mind, every time you go WOT you're risking your life and anyone involved and sometimes not involved. I guess it's the price we pay for that adrenaline rush we crave.
You are risking your life when you drive a car every day. 90% of motor vehicle accidents happen under 35 mph. Just to put things in perspective.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Great App. Officer activity at insane levels around Houston currently. Many news stories about racing, public calling 911 to report "racing" on the highways... makes me nervous just driving to the gym in GTR...

·
Registered
129 Posts

Just because it's 3am does not make it FINE. Stupid quote of the year!!! If you get caught doing 150 mph in Texas this year at ANY time, you have problems. Yeah, there will be less traffic but I have watched many videos from Texas and most have people ( not racing) getting passed like a freight train. I love the videos and street racing. Sooner or later though, there will be an accident during a race there. You can only roll the dice so many times before you crap out. I just hope no innocent people are caught up in that!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
WAZE is AWESOME. Definitely has saved my ass more than a few times.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
How does this app work? You post in a route and it tells you areas of interest?

·
Registered
354 Posts
How does this app work? You post in a route and it tells you areas of interest?
Yeah or if you aren't using it for navigation it alerts you if you are approaching an area where someone has posted an alert. Basically it depends on users contributing to be useful. You can post alerts for speed traps/cops, road hazards, traffic, speed cameras, disabled vehicles, etc.

It's great in cities where there are a good bit of users, but outside of town going to more rural places its hit or miss.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Police are downloading this ap and making it look police everywhere, but I think it's only miami, for now.

Miami Cops Flood Waze With Bogus Speed Trap Data, Don't Understand How Crowd Sourcing Works

We've been discussing how law enforcement organizations have started ramping up their war on the Google-owned, traffic info crowdsourcing app, Waze, in the belief that it's hindering local revenue generation. More specifically, they've been trying to stop the app and its users from reporting police speed trap locations, going so far as to make the absurd argument that the app allows citizens to become police "stalkers." Of course as noted previously, these officers are usually in plain sight and obviously marked, meaning if you really had an insane hankering to annoy a cop you can certainly do it without an app. It's also worth reminding officers that Waze users are simply having a perfectly legal conversation (just like flashing headlights or even holding up signs is legal), at least for now.

With the "mean old citizens are stalking us" defense apparently not working so well, some law enforcement agencies are turning to another, more clever (or so they think) solution: pollute Waze's data with false police speed trap locations. Officers in Miami have apparently taken to downloading the Waze app themselves just so they can flood the app with inaccurate data:
"Hundreds of officers in the Miami area have downloaded the app, which lets users provide real-time traffic information and identify areas where police are conducting speed enforcement. The local NBC affiliate says the officers are flooding Waze with false information on their activity in an attempt to make the app's information less useful to drivers. Disclosing the location of police officers "puts us at risk, puts the public at risk, because it's going to cause more deadly encounters between law enforcement and suspects," Sgt. Javier Ortiz, president of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police, tells the news outlet."

·
Registered
354 Posts
As far as flooding with fake data, there is a button that appears as you pass an alert spot where you can select thank the user or hazard not there and I'm pretty sure by selecting the not there function it removes the alert from the map/removes it if enough users select that it is not there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.