Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, long time no post for me. Reason is my 2012 gtr has been sitting in the garage for a few years. She is what some of you call a "garage queen". Anyways some friends have been pushing me to race her now. All I have on her are AMS downpipes, hks mid pipe and legamax exhausts, and a mild ams tune via a cobb access port. I have had this car brand new and she has just 2k miles on her. I have never launched her ever.

I need your advice on how to launch her properly because i am terrified of the tranny horror stories I have read here in the past. I live in the the central Philippine Island of ******. We have a very old airport for a drag strip. The asphalt is very loose that it resembles dirt covered concrete. I have read here that some members had done well with drag radials as compared to the stock run flats. I have spare rims, enkei gtc01's . Will they do for a start? Which tires should I buy for them? I am getting confused because i get a lot of suggestions. Most suggest Mickey Thompsons, and there are a lot of different models of MT tires out there.

I am asking your help so that i do not get embarassed by the evo's and sti's over here. Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks.

Lits

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
You can either run an R888 on the factory 20's or get an M&H setup for the 18" enkei.

With R888's lower your launch control to 2800 and go up from there.

You will most likely need to visit your tuner or update the Cobb AP as so much has been released in the last 2 years.

Adjustable LC, BOTL, Rolling boost, traction control, auto shift, etc.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks droptopp. My enkeis are also 20's. As you may note in my post, I live in the Philippines and AMS just sent me a cobb access port to plug and play. If i understand you correctly, AMS can send me an update via on line? I have never communicated with them since. Thanks again Droptopp.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Droptopp, pardon my ignorance, but what are R888's?

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
You will need to update the Cobb via the Cobb website and use off the shelf maps with options that are available off the shelf since no local tuner. They will hopefully chime in here or email them.

Toyo R888 are tires and you would want to run 285/315 sizes for the stock rims or the enkei. At your power level / mods you shouldn't need M&H drag radials. The drag radials will need to be 18".

You could also go with a non-run flat like the Michelin PSS but I have heard many members have had supply issues here in the states, not sure how that will impact you in the Philippines though.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you have a full clear wrap (ie Xpel) on your car? I'd hate for you to pull out a garage queen and get it all chipped up racing on a road with loose gravel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will need to update the Cobb via the Cobb website and use off the shelf maps with options that are available off the shelf since no local tuner. They will hopefully chime in here or email them.

Toyo R888 are tires and you would want to run 285/315 sizes for the stock rims or the enkei. At your power level / mods you shouldn't need M&H drag radials. The drag radials will need to be 18".

You could also go with a non-run flat like the Michelin PSS but I have heard many members have had supply issues here in the states, not sure how that will impact you in the Philippines though.

Best of luck.
Thanks again Droptopp. I will check out the cobb website.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a full clear wrap (ie Xpel) on your car? I'd hate for you to pull out a garage queen and get it all chipped up racing on a road with loose gravel.
Alphastog, good idea, I should have one installed soon. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can someone point me to who has the best price for r888's in southern california? Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys i finally did get to try out my car at Clark International Speedway last weekend. Car has ams dp, hks resonated midpipe, and hks legamax exhaust. Stock intakes. It was tuned by Toby a few days before with cobb nis 005. Running stock tires my best pass was 11.3 sec, 125 mph. This was my first run at around 10am. During the succeeding runs, the car would bog down when it went into second gear. Could be the traction control kicking in?

Questions, can i upgrade the cobb nis 005 to 006 or do i need to buy a new accessport? I emailed cobb and still have not gotten a reply. And will putting intakes like hks r suction improve my time? I was once told that the 2012 stock intakes were good enough. Thanks guys.

Btw, I did purchase toyo r888's but they just arrived today.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Well guys i finally did get to try out my car at Clark International Speedway last weekend. Car has ams dp, hks resonated midpipe, and hks legamax exhaust. Stock intakes. It was tuned by Toby a few days before with cobb nis 005. Running stock tires my best pass was 11.3 sec, 125 mph. This was my first run at around 10am. During the succeeding runs, the car would bog down when it went into second gear. Could be the traction control kicking in?

Questions, can i upgrade the cobb nis 005 to 006 or do i need to buy a new accessport? I emailed cobb and still have not gotten a reply. And will putting intakes like hks r suction improve my time? I was once told that the 2012 stock intakes were good enough. Thanks guys.

Btw, I did purchase toyo r888's but they just arrived today.
It's probably not the traction conto kicking in. The exhaust is all open and the car needs more air and fuel. You should get larger intakes (3 inch) for better air flow. When you say you hear 2012+ intakes are good enough, I believe you're getting them confused with inlets...the turbo inlets are larger on 2012+.. The stock intake boxes should be upgraded to 3 inch pipes when tuning. Lastly, you need 1000cc injectors. A more open flow in the exhaust means the car will want more air and fuel. Injectors, intakes, and exhaust go hand in hand with a tune. If you leave out some of them it's possible to tune, but you're limiting yourself with power and psi w the turbos.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dlad. So which inlet and intake do your suggest? Also what brand injectors should I get? Thanks again

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
I'm not dlad, but I would highly recommend the got boost intake with the green filters as they flow the most CFM and I would recommend id1000 injectors by injector dynamics. I have run this combination for 11,000 miles with zero problems.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Thanks Dlad. So which inlet and intake do your suggest? Also what brand injectors should I get? Thanks again
I am not Lambo Joe, but I'd recommend any 3" intakes. I have Cobb 3" intakes, but the ones LamboJoe mentioned are good too. The inlets you should leave alone because your car is a 2012+...the 09-11's had smaller turbo inlets. I agree that ID1000's are the way to go. (Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors)

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ Ha you guys are funny (I am not dlad, I am not lambo joe lol). Op you should do some more research on here as well. Lots of info. I agree ID injectors are awesome. Lots of people run other brands as well. Good luck

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not dlad, but I would highly recommend the got boost intake with the green filters as they flow the most CFM and I would recommend id1000 injectors by injector dynamics. I have run this combination for 11,000 miles with zero problems.
Thanks Lambo Joe, i will google them

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not Lambo Joe, but I'd recommend any 3" intakes. I have Cobb 3" intakes, but the ones LamboJoe mentioned are good too. The inlets you should leave alone because your car is a 2012+...the 09-11's had smaller turbo inlets. I agree that ID1000's are the way to go. (Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors)

Thanks dLad, now can you tell me which are the intakes and the inlets? When facing the car with the hood open, there are the outer and inner tubes. Which is which? Thanks again

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Ha you guys are funny (I am not dlad, I am not lambo joe lol). Op you should do some more research on here as well. Lots of info. I agree ID injectors are awesome. Lots of people run other brands as well. Good luck
Thanks too Chi_weezy. I would stick with ID since i also have the same on my sti with no problems so far. One more question, Ive seen other gtrs with hks blow off valves. do they help or its just the nice sound they produce?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ I believe aftermarket BOV's are just for sound. Perhaps when you get up in the high boost psi the stock can't hold. Not sure though

1 - 20 of 37 Posts