Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vanilla Gorilla
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to posting my first full dip job on my GTR. This stuff is wonderfully easy to clean and maintain - if it dries in the shade it doesn't have any water spots, no holograms, no buffing, and its protecting my paint as a bonus. The color has great depth especially in full sun and has changed the personality of the car considerably.

Apologies for the phone pictures - it is hard to capture the color accurately.
Dusk

Overcast

Full Sunlight

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very nice!

·
Vanilla Gorilla
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does it cost for this? And how long does it last? How do you clean it?

iPhone 5
GTR LIFE
I'm hoping for it to last a year, it could probably last longer with care but I'll probably get bored with it by then. I just use spray detailer and an old bath towel to clean it. If its really dirty I'll hose it off first. A coat of turtle wax Ice gives it some scratch resistance and depth.

·
Vanilla Gorilla
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been debating peeling the side markers, I like how they blend in the right light but often they just look painted over - I'm just glad the red is gone, not sure if this is better.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks good.

Did you use their pro kit and spray gun kit?
What was the overall cost and how many coats were you able to put on?
Do you need a completely dust free booth set up or is it pretty forgiving with dust?

I'm thinking about wrapping mine, but if it's more cost effective I might just dip it...My oem black is getting ridiculous to take care of..

·
Vanilla Gorilla
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good.

Did you use their pro kit and spray gun kit?
What was the overall cost and how many coats were you able to put on?
Do you need a completely dust free booth set up or is it pretty forgiving with dust?

I'm thinking about wrapping mine, but if it's more cost effective I might just dip it...My oem black is getting ridiculous to take care of..
Black paint is what drove me to this solution so I definitely understand. I purchased their sprayer and then bought the dip at a later date - it all ran to about 600 after equipment, supplies, dip, and pearl costs. I sprayed in my garage and although dust wasnt an issue, hair was. I ended up with about 8 - 9 coats with a bit extra on the front and mirrors for durability. This only took me 1 day (all day) vs a much longer process for wrapping from what I have seen - plus no need to tear my car down to the frame.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Black drove me crazy as well. Have done two full dips, first anthracite (lighter of the two pics attached) second "storm". Makes owning and driving the car so enjoyable.

Attachments

·
Vanilla Gorilla
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Black drove me crazy as well. Have done two full dips, first anthracite (lighter of the two pics attached) second "storm". Makes owning and driving the car so enjoyable.
I agree completely - not nearly as much concern for chips, scratches, and using the car. Your colors gave me some inspiration; I wasn't sold on the anthracite color and figured I might have to mix something custom like you did to get the desired effect.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have dipped a few cars already but have not got the courage to dip my GTR yet. I might give in and do it. How did you approach spraying under the wing and keeping it consistent, just normal spray strokes?
With the angle, I would think the under edge closer to the glass would be a little light on the coats and more textured?

Here is how my Evo turned out, originally silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Love it. Totally changes the cars appearance.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dipyourcar.com is currently running 20% off Everything using the code SUMMER. They have sales once in a blue moon, so its a great time to pick up some if you are going to or considering.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Are those Vossen CV3's? (wheels) If so, they were one of my fav wheels to go on an IS-F (my previous car)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.