Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just purchased my new 2012 Super Silver GT-R. Dealer is pushing the 3-year, all-inclusive, pre-paid maintenance pretty hard: $6575 for three years. I never buy extended warranties so I'm pretty hesitant about this one.

They're quoting me $140 for an oil change which at worst will be needed four times per year. That's $560 a year. That would leave $1632 for annual maintenance that I would be paying for.

What they're not telling me is how much it would cost me if I didn't prepay and instead just paid as I went.

The finance guy says they don't make money off of the maintenance plan. The only reason they do it is because it locks in the ("heavily discounted") money over time and "gets you to come back into the dealership more often and potentially buy something else." He may be right but I'm naturally skeptical.

Anyone have advice on whether this is worth it or not? $6575 added to my payments over time raises the monthly pretty high.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Run away. Maintenance plans are a not worth it. Extended warranties can be of some value. If you are interested in either of these plans Call Boulder Nissan in CO and ask for Jason or you can PM here.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't Do it. Its really not worth it, if you do a search you will see many people asking the same thing. If that includes Brake Pads and Rotors then yes!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I searched the forum for "pre-paid maintenance" and didn't find a single result so I decided to post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just purchased my new 2012 Super Silver GT-R. Dealer is pushing the 3-year, all-inclusive, pre-paid maintenance pretty hard: $6575 for three years. I never buy extended warranties so I'm pretty hesitant about this one.

They're quoting me $140 for an oil change which at worst will be needed four times per year. That's $560 a year. That would leave $1632 for annual maintenance that I would be paying for.

What they're not telling me is how much it would cost me if I didn't prepay and instead just paid as I went.

The finance guy says they don't make money off of the maintenance plan. The only reason they do it is because it locks in the ("heavily discounted") money over time and "gets you to come back into the dealership more often and potentially buy something else." He may be right but I'm naturally skeptical.

Anyone have advice on whether this is worth it or not? $6575 added to my payments over time raises the monthly pretty high.
Is this the nissan gold plan?

IMO, I wouldn't do it. First off, dealing with Nissan Consumer Affairs/Extended service guys is a complete pain in the ass (took me 6 tries to get the thing transferred in my name and only way I got it resolved wsa through Nissan GTR helpline). Secondly, the other big downside is that you have to do the services per the timeline or they expire. So for example, if you don't drive your car much you are going to be forced to do the services sooner than you really need to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did you take this offer up? I assume not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nope. The math just didn't add up. And the dealer offered no details aside from basically saying, "Trust us - this is going to save you a ton of money."

Who tries to sell something for $6575 plus $500 tax (I didn't think sales tax applied to service but apparently it does up here) without offering any selling points at all? All I needed was a break down of what maintenance I was expected to pay for over the next three years, what an estimated regular price would be, and how that compared to the pre-paid plan. They couldn't even tell me exactly what was covered. I even asked for a brochure with details and they didn't have that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad you walked on this, is it just the Nissan dealers that expect you to cough up a not insignificant sum and not be able/ willing to give you details of exactly what you are paying for? My experience with them has been pathetic at best and I have purchased a lot of exotics. Maybe I naively expected a similar type of service from Nissan.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I searched the forum for "pre-paid maintenance" and didn't find a single result so I decided to post.
This topic has been discussed many times before.

The short answer always is- no, unless they throw it in for free

Everything that costs you which can be significant is not covered under maintenance service plans- since they are wear items

Brakes- pads and rotors
runflat tires

Fluid changes would be covered under service plan-
Oil and filter changes- about $180 per change every 6000 miles or 6 months
Trans and diff fluid changes about 18,000 miles

Other things possibly covered
Front wipers- about $135 each
In cabin filter- change at about 2 years

POS done at 1000 miles, 1,2,3 years are all covered under Nissan warranty already

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
4 oil changes a year?????

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 oil changes a year?????
I wrote that thinking changes would be at 3K miles p/y, driving around 12K p/y. it hadn't occurred to me that synthetic oil is changed at 6K miles.

So really, I can't imagine how the service program could possibly save anyone any money whatsoever. In fact it appears to be significantly more expensive than just paying for service as you need it.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
I wrote that thinking changes would be at 3K miles p/y, driving around 12K p/y. it hadn't occurred to me that synthetic oil is changed at 6K miles.

So really, I can't imagine how the service program could possibly save anyone any money whatsoever. In fact it appears to be significantly more expensive than just paying for service as you need it.
A lot of good info in this thread....to add to it with some specific info that concerns the 2012 oil change interval is now up to 9K from 6 if not driven hard and transmisison fluid is 36K up from 18 ( not that i would let it go that long... just saying thats some more fuel for the argument...... as thats like 1 oil change a year for most unless you really daily drive it

me i change it every 4K but i track

on the attachment when you see "R" it means replace

Attachments

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
A lot of good info in this thread....to add to it with some specific info that concerns the 2012 oil change interval is now up to 9K from 6 if not driven hard and transmisison fluid is 36K up from 18
MC....where do you see the oil change up to 9K from 6K.....I hit 12K miles and going by the Maint book both schedule 1 and 2 are oil changes at 6K mile intervals.....it is nice the tranny and diff can go to 36K.....

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
A lot of good info in this thread....to add to it with some specific info that concerns the 2012 oil change interval is now up to 9K from 6 if not driven hard and transmisison fluid is 36K up from 18 ( not that i would let it go that long... just saying thats some more fuel for the argument...... as thats like 1 oil change a year for most unless you really daily drive it

me i change it every 4K but i track

on the attachment when you see "R" it means replace
MC, how does this schedule affect the 2010 model?

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
MC....where do you see the oil change up to 9K from 6K.....I hit 12K miles and going by the Maint book both schedule 1 and 2 are oil changes at 6K mile intervals.....it is nice the tranny and diff can go to 36K.....
its in the 2012 ESM... unless its a typo but yea that screen grab is straight from the service manual on my PC...... i never looked in the Maint book because i never got one with my car.... had something to do with the earthquake and my car not having any booklets with it

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
MC, how does this schedule affect the 2010 model?
it doesnt really.... it just means nissan is being a little more easy on milage with the 2012 as they R &D has shown them ... but its not really retro active even though there really isnt a reason why it shouldnt be... with that said in the real world i would never consider letting tranny oil go to 36K or oil 9K..even if you drive normally

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really? That makes this even more bizarre.

So my estimated maintenance for the three year period that this plan covers at a "discounted price" of $6575 + $500 tax would be three oil changes and a tranny fluid change? If I paid as I went I'd pay a total less than $2K. WTF else could Nissan possibly be covering for that much money??? And remember, the dealer is telling me that the $7K is "heavily discounted". This makes no sense what-so-ever.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
Really? That makes this even more bizarre.

So my estimated maintenance for the three year period that this plan covers at a "discounted price" of $6575 + $500 tax would be three oil changes and a tranny fluid change? If I paid as I went I'd pay a total less than $2K. WTF else could Nissan possibly be covering for that much money??? And remember, the dealer is telling me that the $7K is "heavily discounted". This makes no sense what-so-ever.
no idea as tires and brakes are the big ticket items that arnt covered..

i tell everyone the best bet is when the time comes buy all your fluids ( OEM) from online sponsors on here and then take it to the dealer..... also schedule your fluid changes at the same time as the yearly POS services to save on labor as alot of the labor is in taking off the undertrays and those have to come off for free anyway once a year for the warranted alignment check..... so if you use a little logic and common sense on the dealer you can really save

1 - 20 of 20 Posts