Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R35 Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Hawaii and out highest octane is 92 with 10% ethanol and only 89 ethanol free, I know you guys have 93 ethanol free gas and I know the GT-R preforms best with higher octane question what can I use to boost the octane levels from the gas we have at the pumps. I use to pre mix xylene with 92 in the past on my previous cars to get 100 unleaded but xylene is hard to come by no days and I really don't want to ruin my fuel pump. I have never used octane booster heard it don't really help.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
I know this doesn't directly answer your question about boosting the octane, but I just wanted to mention that the 93 octane you are referring to (ethanol free) is VERY uncommon when compared to the 'normal' 93 octane. Most places have 93 octane with 10% ethanol.

·
R35 Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this doesn't directly answer your question about boosting the octane, but I just wanted to mention that the 93 octane you are referring to (ethanol free) is VERY uncommon when compared to the 'normal' 93 octane. Most places have 93 octane with 10% ethanol.
Wow I did it know it was very uncommon to find 93 ethanol free gas in the US. 93 is not available here at any gas stations here the highest is 92..

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Wow I did it know it was very uncommon to find 93 ethanol free gas in the US. 93 is not available here at any gas stations here the highest is 92..
Yea, most gas stations have all octane pump gas at 10% ethanol. Whether its 87, 89, 91, 92, or 93. So, your 92 is still better than the 91 they have in California and some other areas of the country. Some people only have access to 91.

But there are plenty of people on here who use octane boosters and will advise you on that if you're still looking for a little bump in power. Good luck!

·
R35 Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks! ok guys chime in...what octane boosters you guys using!

Yea, most gas stations have all octane pump gas at 10% ethanol. Whether its 87, 89, 91, 92, or 93. So, your 92 is still better than the 91 they have in California and some other areas of the country. Some people only have access to 91.

But there are plenty of people on here who use octane boosters and will advise you on that if you're still looking for a little bump in power. Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ted's Machine shop in lower-Kalihi off Nimitz has Torco. I buy 3 cans at a time for $28 ea. Not too bad considering shipping this stuff is expensive to Hawaii. I'm trying to talk them into carrying Boostane as some have said it is a tad better than Torco, but they are a Torco dealer, so that's what they'll carry.

I don't use it every fill up, just mainly for weekend fun with a tank or two of straight pump gas in between. I can tell you it works, as I do my own tuning, and I definitely get away with several full degrees of timing before onset of any knock (Dyn Advance negative timing) compared to our 92 octane pump gas. The timing I can get with the a/f ratios I target are pretty close to what I can get on legit 100 octane unleaded race gas, and that is going with 32oz for every 10-12 gal (true in-tank amount accounting for the approx. 2 gal of reserve). Make sure you are running a tune for the increased as gains will be minimal to nil with stock tune.

Just understand that Torco leaves an orange coating on your exhaust parts including turbines, and although it's safe for use with our O2 sensors, it will ultimately somewhat shorten the useful life of your spark plugs compared to straight pump gas or E85. No a bad tradeoff, but if we had E85, that is what I'd run, but no soup for us in Hawaii.

Going on the dyno this Saturday to see what I'm getting on my basic FBO (still stock cutback and intercooler) set will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.