Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,

I hate to formally introduce myself this way as this might literally be a nightmare, but I'm going to be as transparent as possible.

I flew out to Buffalo, NY Friday night to purchase a private sale 2010 GTR with 36k miles on it. During the test drive the car drove and shifted perfectly. Yesterday I drove it back from there that took around 7 hours with about two stops to get food and gas. About the halfway mark, I get the maintenance notification to change the transmission oil which I thought is ok and I would do that maintenance when I get back home. I wanted to fill up gas once more before reaching my house since I was about 10 minutes out. As I was upshifting after the traffic light normally with no spirited driving, the car goes into limp mode and I only have 1-3-5. I get the T/M malfunction - Visit Dealer, the Engine malfunction - Visit Dealer notifications as well as the Error triangle, CEL and flashing tranny light (I think) in the upper right hand corner. I freak out and pull into a gas station to let it cool down to see if that would help. No luck. I drove it slowly and carefully back to my house which was luckily 10 minutes away and parked it.

Slept and woke up this morning to turn on the car again to see if the errors were still there. They were. I called Chantilly Nissan to see if I could get it towed there and have it looked at but their GTR tech is gone until Thursday :( Just my luck right? I live about 10 minutes away from there so that's not too bad.

The entire way back from NY I was driving very conservatively with only a handful of small pulls (not WOT) since obviously I was excited about having the car. But mostly it was cruising at constant speeds of 60-75mph. Everything shifted nicely and smoothly so I'm not sure what happened. At least it happened close to home instead of hours out, that's for sure.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys or do you know anyone that this similar scenario happened to? This is stressing me out like crazy since I haven't owned the car for a day and this happens. I may try to disconnect the battery to see if I get the same errors but I'm highly doubtful it'll change anything.

Also, is it too late to buy an aftermarket warranty? I haven't even registered the car yet and this is making me feel very uneasy.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I looked at the Carfax of the car and the warranty period for the powertrain is still valid until the end of next month. Of course it'll be up to the dealer to honor it after inspecting it further but I can at least be a little less worried.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Oh that sucks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Trying disconneting the battery.......look underneath for any leaks......thats a start point.... but definitely wait for the dealership unless u have a mechanic you trust that can help you check it out

just living the dream

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hope it is something small, I had a simular situation with a m5 and turn out to be a 5k clutch job...

Sent from my SM-N910V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Dont think like that.... l know its hard but all you can do is wait until they look it over......l know this is a long shoot have you contacted the previous owner did you get the car look at prior to purchase.... l had nissan review my 2010 l had which l bought in florida.

just living the dream

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Nissan really needs to change their policy on servicing the transmission instead of strictly replacing as a whole. This situation is bound to keep happening with the early MY GT-R's. Or at least give owners the option to significantly discount a new transmission with the trade in of the broken stock one. Kind of like Toyota does with replacing their hybrid batteries.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So true especially +1000000000.....knowing how much we have all paid for the car they should stand behind the product its crazy that yhey can lookat a gtr owner and quote some ridiculous price to replace a tranny.

just living the dream

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I would contact the seller. I do not know the laws with car sales in NY, but problems in less than 24 hours should have some seller responsibility. This really makes PPI a must do!
Sorry for your pain and hopefully it is not a super serious issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I looked at the Carfax again and luckily saw that the first owner had purchased the car on 11/29/2010. So technically, the car is still under warranty until the end of next month. I called Chantilly Nissan and spoke to Stacy and she confirmed that the powertrain is "valid" until 11/29/2015. Obviously they'll have to inspect it but it's good that I have all the maintenance records so that should help my case a bit. There's still hope! Really hope it works out without burning a hole in my wallet but I can only wait until Thursday to drop it off.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I noticed in the OP's post that the car has 36k miles and the transmission service reminder came up while driving. Does the GT-R have some kind of built in fail safe where it automatically goes into limp mode if the transmission and diff fluid service interval mileage is exceeded? If so, this should be a quick fix once the transmission and diff fluid is changed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If its not covered under warranty contact me. There is a big GTR group in the area and there are several people who could help. I can also get you added to our private FB group. Message me

Sent from my A0001 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I hope then for the OP's sake that the car is mostly stock and ECM never flashed/tuned.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thats great news!!!!! All will work out only thing thats sucksbis the wait....l would still drop it off tomorrow at nissan

Sent from my SM-T217S using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats great news!!!!! All will work out only thing thats sucksbis the wait....l would still drop it off tomorrow at nissan

Sent from my SM-T217S using GT-R Life mobile app
I really hope so man! Buying a car like this and suddenly this crap happens...not a cool situation to be in lol. On the drive home I was loving it but now it's just a tease until this gets sorted out and back on the road :( hopefully without burning my pocket moreso

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You should be fine then getting it fixed under warranty. This could actually be a blessing in disguise. A brand new transmission right before warranty is up. Couldn't have timed that better!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yea not cool but a brand new tranny is a homerun either way your going to win warranty is still in effect..... something similar happen to me with my ktm rc8r motorcycle bought it on ebay 14k with major performance parts took delivery and loved it but notice and oil leak right before l was off on vacation l was stress lol but l called ktm america and they were super helpful and offered to change the motor if thats was the case even thou the guy was like l highly doubt it took it to a authorize dealer and ktm took care of the rest engine was fine but they paid for all the gasket and maintenance something l was going to do any way.... morale of the story shit always works out at the end

just living the dream

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea not cool but a brand new tranny is a homerun either way your going to win warranty is still in effect..... something similar happen to me with my ktm rc8r motorcycle bought it on ebay 14k with major performance parts took delivery and loved it but notice and oil leak right before l was off on vacation l was stress lol but l called ktm america and they were super helpful and offered to change the motor if thats was the case even thou the guy was like l highly doubt it took it to a authorize dealer and ktm took care of the rest engine was fine but they paid for all the gasket and maintenance something l was going to do any way.... morale of the story shit always works out at the end

just living the dream
Something like that happening before a vacation...I can only imagine how you felt. Glad it all worked out for you and hopefully my luck changes very soon!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts