Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there all. im very excited to be closing in on my gtr purchase. im getting a 2009 super silver gtr with 30k miles from a nagtroc member. he seems like a great guy. met him and drove his car. never tracked or launched. my question is does modifying a gtr affect its over all longevity given the fact that it was a daily driver not launched or tracked. he redid the exhaust, id1000 fuel injectors and a custom tune with a cobb access port. he drove it fast and revved high but that seems like it. seems like an honest upfront guy. what do you guys think? im having it inspected by a gtr tech at a nissan dealer. if he gives his blessings buy in peace? thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
you can always have a compression test and a leakdown test accomplished. Most shops and/or dealers have the know how to accomplish these tests. Will give you a decent indication on the internals. On top of that, you could have the oil sent in for an analyses. (Blackstone labs)

·
10' Super SIlver
2,319 Posts
well it was made to go fast at just about everyone that has a GTR goes fast at one point, and probably more than less. as long as he took care of it you should be fine just check the tires and also the 36K service is coming up.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
the dealership can get the facts from consult3 and print it out for you too. a few threads might help you understand the data if they cant help explain it for you.

regardless, if the cars in good condition and drives well and the tests come out good, should be fine.

all gtr's may have transmission issues in the future. would only say find a good dealer that knows what they are doing and if anything happens in the future to hope they will cover it based on those mods not causing the issue(dealerships may cover moderate tuned cars, due to common failures in stock cars occuring). failures are expensive and will likely happen after warranty is up, suggest talking to sheptrans and verify you can cover any such failures after warranty (3rd party is cheaper than getting new trans from dealer without warranty)... (i dunno your financial background, nor do i want to know, just friendly advice). im not trying to scare you. the mods most likely have very little relevance in causing any failure if all the data logs are good and your not creating too much power/heat/wear for your components.

it would also be a good idea to get a datalog of the tune and send it to a tuner to check the logs and verify that its running good, you can post it here and tuners may chime in to verify if they want to help, but it would be good idea to find a good tuner, possibly continue with the one the recent owner currently has or ask his advice on other tuners if he is a nagtroc member, he may know a lot about the community already.

(could any one disagree to any of this? i would not like to give out bad information on this subject).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
the dealership can get the facts from consult3 and print it out for you too. a few threads might help you understand the data if they cant help explain it for you.

regardless, if the cars in good condition and drives well and the tests come out good, should be fine.

all gtr's may have transmission issues in the future. would only say find a good dealer that knows what they are doing and if anything happens in the future to hope they will cover it based on those mods not causing the issue(dealerships may cover moderate tuned cars, due to common failures in stock cars occuring). failures are expensive and will likely happen after warranty is up, suggest talking to sheptrans and verify you can cover any such failures after warranty (3rd party is cheaper than getting new trans from dealer without warranty)... (i dunno your financial background, nor do i want to know, just friendly advice). im not trying to scare you. the mods most likely have very little relevance in causing any failure if all the data logs are good and your not creating too much power/heat/wear for your components.

it would also be a good idea to get a datalog of the tune and send it to a tuner to check the logs and verify that its running good, you can post it here and tuners may chime in to verify if they want to help, but it would be good idea to find a good tuner, possibly continue with the one the recent owner currently has or ask his advice on other tuners if he is a nagtroc member, he may know a lot about the community already.

(could any one disagree to any of this? i would not like to give out bad information on this subject).
+10000

·
The World Warrior
7,254 Posts

I agree on most but it is uncertain that a trans failure is inevtiable. Not many cars have reached the mileage to make that determination, but I will say this to the OP, if the mods check out and most of your checks on the car are fine you should be good. Also link up with a tuner and do some datalogs to see that everything in the tune is good.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
The mods you mention seem to be mior and simple BPU's, I wouldn't be to concerned with those but more so with the milage, condition of the car, drivability ad wear/tear.

·
WHITE NINJA
4,182 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong..But once modded the warrenty is history/gone/ghost
if your engine or trans goes from tcm flash or too much boost then they might not warranty those parts but everything else is covered,its never completely void and they have to prove that the mod caused the fail,odds are you will be fine

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
and for over 500hp the GTR is very reliable even one built in 2008 like mine
Up to 600hp and stock turbo should provide the same reliability as a stock GT-R.

As for the gearbox question all gearbox components will fail eventually. It is just too quick for this car compared to my daily or any older skylines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No worries Rock, your tune is perfect. Zero knock sums in high boost map... Mike at AAM did an awesome job. Your Gona love it! Do some logs when you get her home, but I would keep what you have... It's kind of like medicine...you can always find someone willing to cut you... ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.