Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm really interested in tracking my GTR. My only track experience was a two day Skip Barber driving school. I've been researching it online and had a couple questions.

1. I've came across a few organizations that I was wonder if anyone had feedback on. Speed Ventures, NASA, and Extreme Speed. Does anyone have experience with these, or do you recommend any other organization?

2. Looks like all places expect you to have a tech evaluation before they allow you to participate. I am no way qualified to do it myself. Can anyone recommend a tech in the Valencia area I can use? Ideally someone I can learn from to eventually do it myself.

Thanks!

·
OnTrack Maniac
1,654 Posts
I've been tracking with NASA for about 2 1/2 years now and they're a good group. I been out with other groups too but not with Speed Ventures or Extreme Speed so I can't really comment on them. If you're just getting started with this, I know NASA provides good instruction to get you headed in the right direction. Not sure where you're located but I have information/links for a bunch of different clubs/events on my website at:

http://www.pimanracing.net/links/links.php

http://www.pimanracing.net/calendar/calendar09.html

There's other info on there as well but you might use it to find some other events that are near you as well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just did my first NASA event this past weekend at PBIR in Florida. Safety is their top priority and it is a close knit group that is always willing to help. I was out driving for two days and the most we had on the track was Saturday with about 12 cars. Sunday was even better with only 4 at the last 2 sessions. We had just under 2.5 hours of racing in two days. I will be going back to NASA because they make sure you KNOW how to drive as well as all the flags and rules. Once completed with the test(s) you move up and driving in more advanced groups. I can't speak to the others however I am sure some people will chime in. Good luck!

·
The Nihonjin
308 Posts
I like hooked on driving when I started tracking. They are little bit pricier than other organizations but the instructors are great and the run groups are much smaller.
After hooked on driving I was surprised how many cars were on track with other organizations.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
SV and Extreme Speed are both excellent. Tech is a breeze to do yourself. It's very basic - pretty much just stating your brakes brake and your tires have decent tread.

Both offer instruction for newbies. Good idea to help you learn a new track.

SV has an event at Auto Club next weekend. Even if you don't run, you might want to come by and check it out, talk to some drivers, sit in on the morning drivers' mtg.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I think NASA is the best place to start. They have good organization, good safety, and good tech.

Honestly, when you are tracking your car, you want someone else to tech your car when you are first starting.

I have done things with a lot of organizations, good track time, but a little fast and loose.

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1 for Hooked on Driving - at least for a couple events. After that, I would go with one of the no-frills organizations - Track-Masters and NCRC are other good ones that have not been mentioned in this thread yet. To be honest, I focus more on the schedule than the organization. I have limited windows to head to the track, so whichever org has a track day around the time I am looking for is the one I end up going with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info!

So, do the organizations do tech inspections on site? I could do it myself if it was just tires and brakes, but the tech checklists I downloaded look more complicated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.