Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a Catless downpipe, non resonated midpipe with password jdm exhaust. It is loud and mad drone on highway. I'm looking for a resonated catback to quiet things down any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The most cost-effective choice is the HKS Legamax. It is only 1dB louder than the OEM catback. I think the stainless version runs about $2800 if you shop around. IIRC, the Mines is quieter than OEM, but is pretty spendy. Just so you know, I have the Legamax along with AAM catless downpipes and Cobb catted midpipe, which is not resonated. Even with the Legamax, the car is about as loud as I would go. Its probably a little louder than I would like, but it is tolerable to me. My next door neighbor told me that he no longer needs his alarm clock.

I don't have any appreciable drone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i have aam dps also, tbh getting tired of the exhaust noise. how much hp will i loose if i swap back the midpipe and catback back to stock and left the catless dps.

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
I have AMS catless Dp and CBRD mid pipe w/ stock exhaust. My GT-R is not loud at all, until full wot. I think with stock mid pipe and exhaust, you will lose between 15-25 hp or more. Put back your stock exhaust first and hear how that sounds. You can always sell your mid pipe and buy a res mid pipe too. That should help quiet your sound levels.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
In my old car, I ran catless DP's, HKS resonated midpipe, and the stock catback. It was tolerable loudness wise, but I didn't like how the piping size stepped down at the catback/midpipe junction. I later added the HKS legamax exhaust. It got a little louder, and the tone sounded better.

Over time, that setup became a little annoying too. Great at WOT, but I really would have liked it to be quieter in the cabin at cruise.

I do hear the AMS DP's will decrease the exhaust volume in the cabin a little when compared to other cat less DP's. I do not have any 1st hand experience with that though.

Hope that helps ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is such a hate it or love it relationship with the exhaust system. I've tried mating a stock midpipe to catless downpipes and password jdm exhaust once, the sound totally is like stock again with a slight howl. so it might just be the midpipe that played a big factor in sound no matter which catback..but i'm trying to see if there's an aftermarket catback that can quiet things down like what the stock midpipe does to the sound while using an unresonated midpipe and catless downpipe. People say hks legamax is only 1db louder than stock but with a catless dps+unresonated midpipe it is still pretty loud.

·
Registered
219 Posts
it is such a hate it or love it relationship with the exhaust system. I've tried mating a stock midpipe to catless downpipes and password jdm exhaust once, the sound totally is like stock again with a slight howl. so it might just be the midpipe that played a big factor in sound no matter which catback..but i'm trying to see if there's an aftermarket catback that can quiet things down like what the stock midpipe does to the sound while using an unresonated midpipe and catless downpipe. People say hks legamax is only 1db louder than stock but with a catless dps+unresonated midpipe it is still pretty loud.
I have AMS catless DP's, HKS resonated midpipe and HKS Legamax catback. I added mine in stages, though, so I can tell you...

When I only had the Legamax catback it was more of a tone change than a loudness increase (1 db sounds legit). Then I added the resonated midpipe and the tone stayed about the same, but it got maybe ~20% louder. Then I added the catless DPs and it got another ~40% louder. I agree with sleepdoc that the AMS does seem to limit the incabin noise a bit more than other catless DPs (I've been in a car with both).

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have AMS catless DP's, HKS resonated midpipe and HKS Legamax catback. I added mine in stages, though, so I can tell you...

When I only had the Legamax catback it was more of a tone change than a loudness increase (1 db sounds legit). Then I added the resonated midpipe and the tone stayed about the same, but it got maybe ~20% louder. Then I added the catless DPs and it got another ~40% louder. I agree with sleepdoc that the AMS does seem to limit the incabin noise a bit more than other catless DPs (I've been in a car with both).
Right now I am running Cobb uncatted mid pipe everything else stock. I am adding the Legamax that I ordered next week. What can I expect sound wise ?

·
Super Moderator
3,449 Posts
If you're after a quiet catback I would strongly suggest the Mine's one. Its JASMA certified so its quieter that alot of the popular options. I have it fitted to catless dp and a non resonated catless midpipe and its very civilised (it has to be because of where I live)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just sold the password jdm exhaust and put back the stock catback, the sound got alot quieter but there's still annoying drone on highway cruise. I'm running catless downpipe, catless midpipe and stock exhaust. will getting the variable exhaust kill the drone on full quiet position?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just sold the password jdm exhaust and put back the stock catback, the sound got alot quieter but there's still annoying drone on highway cruise. I'm running catless downpipe, catless midpipe and stock exhaust. will getting the variable exhaust kill the drone on full quiet position?
Unfortunately, not. The drone is coming from either the dp, the mp, or both. Some components just do a better job limiting drone than others.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Any videos of the catless downpipe and midpipe, with stock catback ?

I need a quiet setup myself!!

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
This is my GT-R w/ AMS catless DP, CBRD MP and stock exhaust. The AMS DP are the best way to go in my opinion. The thicker walls and cast construction helps w/ the sound levels. It has a nice sound at normal speeds, but loud at full WOT. Nissan GT-R at TopSpeed making 550HP - YouTube

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.