Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't own a GT-R yet so I have a question that requires GT-R owner experience.

If "R" stands for "Racing" then why isn't Launch Control set to R-R-R?

Some of the videos show the middle button depressed down, not in the R position, before the car is ready for Launch mode.

When exactly is the purpose of the middle "R" if it's not being used for Racing purposes?

·
2010 Black Premium
112 Posts
Well, "launching" and racing are two different things! The GT-R is meant as a track car, not a drag strip car - though of course people do drag race the GT-R and can certainly have some success. VDC "R" mode is meant to loosen up the VDC a little, to allow some amount of slip and skid that the VDC would normally interfere with. That kind of slip and skid is useful on a race course when you're navigating turns at high speed and such.

The VDC position you are talking about is "Off" - which isn't really off, as you apparently can't really turn VDC completely off on our cars. This is primarily done to alter the parameters of what the TCM is doing during "launch" to allow higher RPMs during the build up.

EDIT: Ooops, did not read the OP carefully! Middle switch in "Comfort" (yeah right!) softens up the suspension, maybe allowing more weight transfer and keeping the car a little more planted during the launch.

·
Registered
862 Posts

Some of the videos show the middle button depressed down, not in the R position, before the car is ready for Launch mode.

When exactly is the purpose of the middle "R" if it's not being used for Racing purposes?
The middle switch is for the suspension. The "R" mode stiffens the suspension..which is beneficial if you are doing a road course. However, for drag strips it may not benefit you to have the shock aborbers and dampeners in the stiffest settings. In theory by switching it into "Comfort" mode instead.. the suspension is in its softest setting... which may allow more weight transfer to the rear... so the rear tires may have more load and the AWD system is less likely to have to transfer more power to the front wheels (which can take a split second).

Me myself...I leave it in R mode... and haven't tried doing it in Comfort yet.

Tom

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic.

Basic part of ownership on the GT_R and knowing the three (R's)

1) Read the owners manual...............

2) wRiting and sharing your experiences.................

3) aRithmetic, do the #'s about ownership and complain about new parts costs from the dealaer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts