Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I was just browsing my friendly Bay Area craigslist and all of a sudden, I have this urge to see if there are any skylines for sale. Just out of curiosity of course, would never actually buy one... wink wink. But then I see this ad for an R33 Skyline. At first I don't believe it, and I STILL don't believe it, and I just wanted to get some peoples thoughts so I made an account on here and now I want to know what YOU guys think. Attached are some pictures. Let me know if you guys think its real or fake. Also: if you have a sharp eye, you can see the black R34 In the background of picture "6 of 6". How in the heck did he get that here, and how is it still here in California of all places!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/r33-gtr-1995/6665744948.html

Please don't go spamming this person, if they are trying to sell their car, let them do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only way to have an R33 GT-R in the US legally at this point is if it is a MotoRex GT-R with all the proper documentation.

There was an article on Jalopink that explains how people are bringing GT-Rs in to the country illegally and registering them. Notice the author mentions they are usually registered in Florida.. as is the California car from this Craigslist ad. So it's possible the ad isn't fake, but even still, if the car isn't legal in the eyes of the US government you could buy it and then it could be seized and crushed it in to a tiny cube at any time.

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-how-people-illegally-import-cars-to-the-united-s-1685247358

You will be able to get an R33 GT-R here eventually under the 25 year rule. The R33 GT-R came out in January of 1995, so you'll have to wait until January 2020. The R33 GTS and GTS-25t just became 25 years old last month so you should be able to get one of these very soon if not already.

·
Registered
624 Posts
State registered and titled ≠ Legally federal registered and titled.

That said, I personally don't think you will ever have any problem driving your R33 regularly, or a R34 for that matter. There are at least half a dozen R34 GTRs in the region where I live, and they are out and about all the time. Just don't do something stupid like trying to file an insurance claim and your car will live a happy live.

Also I don't think you will have trouble selling your R33 after you are done playing. At this point it is pretty clear what classifies a fully federal legal R33/R34, and a buyer who wants to obey the law will do so by properly researching and understanding the law as it states and verifying if all documentations are in order. And for a buyer who thinks a non-federal legal R33/R34 is legal would believe it is legal, so there really is no point to contest despite what the law clearly states. Plus the legislative and executive branches are not besties. So there will always be these two separately circulating markets with each's own federally legal / non-federally legal cars and befitting customers.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There are now 2 shops both have MP2 listed for sale at $150,000. So yeah I'm curious what will happen to the price come 2020 because I'm very skeptical that either will find a customer to pay that list price between now and the 21st birthday.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Even after 2020 you're still going to be unable to ever register in CA. Better hope you're on good terms with your neighbors because CHP has been known to go after people for registering cars out of state as a CA resident. The DMV wants their registration money.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well said. And after January 2020 it becomes a moot point.
No, it does not. A gray market car does not suddenly become federally legal once it turns 25.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's shitty for you guys down there. We have r34s on the streets in canada for a few years now. My 21 year old helper at work bought an r33 gtr legit and not a gtt or gtst. I get him to tell me more about that thing than we talk about mine.

·
951Zilla
320 Posts
Even after 2020 you're still going to be unable to ever register in CA. Better hope you're on good terms with your neighbors because CHP has been known to go after people for registering cars out of state as a CA resident. The DMV wants their registration money.
Well that's technically not true. While you are spot on with the legality of it, California is land of crooks and corruption. They discriminate against the poor especially when it comes to enforcing vehicle laws and there are people here who can plate anything. If you have multiple cars and explain whats going on, depending on where you are they might let it go. It also depends on how old you are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.