Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't planning on buying tires with just 4300 miles on my car, but I drove over a nail, and with 4/32 tread depth left, I guess I should do all four.

I don't think I'm going to buy rims at this time, so I'm looking for factory replacement tires. A couple quick questions:

1- Will R888 work with factory Track Edition (same as Black Edition) wheels?

2- If yes, than do they work well, or is it a less-than-ideal situation?

3- I live in Maine, we have big temperature swings. I may end up driving the car in 40-50 degree weather. Is that safe for the tires and safe for the driver?

4- Being that I live in Maine, I store the car in the winter. I keep it in a garage, but it isn't heated. Temps get crazy cold sometimes, maybe even -20F. Are these safe storage conditions for these tires?

I think that's about it for questions. I know these aren't great in the rain, I don't drive in the rain unless it's by surprise, so no big deal there. I know that these tires wear quick, but apparently so do stock Dunlops.

Appreciate any input you guys have, especially if it's FAST, as I can't drive until I replace tires, and the season is short in Maine.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Any tire that fits will work, and it is highly recommended the tire diameter is kept at around 28" front and back, and if that is not possible it is highly recommended that the front and rear tires be the same diameter, otherwise your AWD system can malfunction or break.

Most that run R888 run 285 front and 315's rear no issues, or a square setup of 285!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won't be getting the R888. I'm not going to hassle with storing the car on jack stands and then worrying about if it gets too cold after I pull it out of storage.

I ordered another set of DSST CTT's, though after two coffees I'm considering seeing if my order is still cancelable and ordering up 285/335 MPSS and a set of Advan GT's.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I won't be getting the R888. I'm not going to hassle with storing the car on jack stands and then worrying about if it gets too cold after I pull it out of storage.

I ordered another set of DSST CTT's, though after two coffees I'm considering seeing if my order is still cancelable and ordering up 285/335 MPSS and a set of Advan GT's.
I got 7k miles out of mine so far still have another 2-5k of safe driving based on how I use the car and maybe another 1-2k of dangerous use.... I used these tires in freezing temps. I'm talking sub 30s even a few 10 degree days lol... I've driven them in downpours and through standing water [this is sketchy but not nearly pull over and wait dire situation], etc.

They are not as safe as MPSS but they will be JUST fine and grip better than anything else for power above FBO. If you aren't making FBO+E85 you really could run big MPSS setup and be better. [I've gotten stuck in multiple snowstorms with MPSS]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got 7k miles out of mine so far still have another 2-5k of safe driving based on how I use the car and maybe another 1-2k of dangerous use.... I used these tires in freezing temps. I'm talking sub 30s even a few 10 degree days lol... I've driven them in downpours and through standing water [this is sketchy but not nearly pull over and wait dire situation], etc.

They are not as safe as MPSS but they will be JUST fine and grip better than anything else for power above FBO. If you aren't making FBO+E85 you really could run big MPSS setup and be better. [I've gotten stuck in multiple snowstorms with MPSS]
Thanks for the input, it seems that maybe the tire ratings are a little conservative. That said, I'll still be storing them on the car in a non heated Maine garage, so R888 is probably not the tire for me.

Another update- I received my Dunlops, and shipped them back. That was a waste of shipping money! I ordered Advan GT's and MPSS 285/35R20 & 335/30R20. Hoping to be running them next week.

-Bob

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the input, it seems that maybe the tire ratings are a little conservative. That said, I'll still be storing them on the car in a non heated Maine garage, so R888 is probably not the tire for me.

Another update- I received my Dunlops, and shipped them back. That was a waste of shipping money! I ordered Advan GT's and MPSS 285/35R20 & 335/30R20. Hoping to be running them next week.

-Bob
MPSS tires are 5000X better tires then those dunlops, I've driven tens of thousands of miles on multiple performance tires and I've not run into a shittier tire than the OEM dunlops...

That said the R888s definitely won't last like the MPSS if given the same abuse. And I'm probably a rare exception in-terms of milage... I'm sure you could trash a set of R888s in 3-5k, I think it would still take 7-15k of major abuse to do that to the MPSS.

·
GT1R Flame Thrower Edition
2,177 Posts
I've got a like-new set I'm looking to sell if anyone needs a set & wants to save a couple bucks

·
Registered
749 Posts
MPSS tires are 5000X better tires then those dunlops, I've driven tens of thousands of miles on multiple performance tires and I've not run into a shittier tire than the OEM dunlops...
Really? I've used both and preferred the handling of the OEM Dunlop to the MPSS. I would agree that the MPSS has better ride quality, lasts longer, is quieter, and cheaper, but I think the Dunlops are superior in cornering grip and have much sharper turn in response. That being said, I just mounted up a set of NT01 and I would say those are 5000x better than the MPSS and Dunlops.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Really? I've used both and preferred the handling of the OEM Dunlop to the MPSS. I would agree that the MPSS has better ride quality, lasts longer, is quieter, and cheaper, but I think the Dunlops are superior in cornering grip and have much sharper turn in response.
Because a lot of people just go by what everyone else is running. I too am intrigued that people saying the MPSS is "the best".

To the OP, why run R888? If you plan to do a lot of track days/autox, sure go ahead, but if you just want something that is streetable and offer good performance, there are other choices and those will last a bit longer than R888.

These are all available in GTR 20" sizes:
Hankook RS3
BFG Rival
MPSS - "the best" as many here claim

I would even go back to OEM Dunlops if you want to keep running runflats before even considering R888.

·
El Diablo
682 Posts
i do love pirelli pzeros too.. i ran two sets of them and couldnt be happier..
I'm running these as well and really like them. Did a track even this weekend on them and felt they held up great.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Because a lot of people just go by what everyone else is running. I too am intrigued that people saying the MPSS is "the best".

To the OP, why run R888? If you plan to do a lot of track days/autox, sure go ahead, but if you just want something that is streetable and offer good performance, there are other choices and those will last a bit longer than R888.

These are all available in GTR 20" sizes:
Hankook RS3
BFG Rival
MPSS - "the best" as many here claim

I would even go back to OEM Dunlops if you want to keep running runflats before even considering R888.
The MPSS are the best at being a great all around tire. They are not the best for dry grip or cornering. They are really good in the rain too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts