Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to find a tire that does it all, but I'm in this dilemma. What is the better setup for traction of these two R888R options:
R888R 305/35/18 square vs R888R 285/35/20 & 325/30/20

GTR is mostly used for drag racing and track.

I understand an 18" square setup is cheaper for tires and can be rotated with speedometer slightly off.
The 20" is more expensive tire wise and allows adequate brake cooling with the correct 28" diameter.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan GT-R Nismo (Solid Red)
146 Posts
I am not a drag racer, so this only pertains to track/road racing.

The consensus is that a square setup can be faster, but more difficult to drive and control. The staggered setup is more forgiving.

I would only go square if I had wide front fenders in order to at least run an 11 inch wide wheel all the way around. With the stock front fenders you are limited to a 10.5 inch wide wheel which in turn limits your rear to a 10.5 inch wide. Even a 10.5 is pushing it in the front as far as rubbing goes.

Option 1: 20x10 front with 285/35/20 and 20x12 rear with 325/30/20 rear in the R888R

Option 2: 20x10 front with 255/40/20 and 20x11 rear with 285/35/20 in the Goodyear Supercar 3R (might be faster)

Option 3: 20x10.5 front and rear with 285/35/20 front and rear in the Goodyear Supercar 3R (might be fastest)

*The Goodyear Supercar 3R is not a drag tire, but one of the fastest track tires right now. Not the best street tire as they take a while to heat up.
*The Nankang AR-1 is a great track tire. Warms up quickly. Not sure how it is as a drag tire.

If you want to go with 18s, I would look into a 40 series tire. Like a 295/40/18 square. Though not the fastest tire options in this size.

I am sure AutoXGTR will chime in and provide some some great advice as well.

Edit: I thought the Nankang AR-1 had a 325/30/20 but it doesn't, so that is not an option unfortunately.

Reactions: g81981

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Do you already have 18" wheels that you are using now and do you know if the wheels will fit over your front brake calipers? That is the first step- finding 18" wheels that work. This will also limit the width you can use for tires as many 18" wheels aren't that wide so a square setup for tires is limited by the front wheel width. i.e. front 18x10.5 rear 18x11.5 or similar.
If you use 20" wheels what width and offsets? Why does it matter? Because wheel fitment and tire size is important to max out grip, you want the most grip from a given tire and need it to function it's best for a given wheel and alignment. You want max grip you need to consider suspension tuning and alignment not just tires.

As for tire sizes-
R888R 305/35/18 square
fits wheels 10-12" wide, perfect for 11" wide rim, tire diam 26.4", XL load rated
Note that 26.4" tire diameter combined with any suspension drop gives very little clearance from road especially on uneven courses with elevation changes. Chances of scraping front lower lip or splitter or even underside is possible, always be careful. I have damaged my front bumper from scraping and using tire sizes down to tire diam. 25.6".

R888R
Front 285/35/20 fits wheels 9.5-11" wide, perfect for 10" wide rim, tire diam. 27.9", standard load rated
Rear 325/30/20 fits wheels 11-12" wide, perfect for 11.5" wide rim, tire diam. 27.7", standard load rated

Brake cooling will be better with 20" wheels. 18" wheels will barely clear the inner wheel barrel which can make a difference on a long track or with longer track sessions.
What past experience do you have with track or drag tires? Have you used R888R or other similar tires, how did it work for you, was it with a GTR or other car?

What is your suspension (affects clearance for wide tires and wheels) and alignment (affects ability to use front tires on track). Note that if you run OEM front alignment then don't expect good wear on front tires on the track, the outer treads on the front tires will overheat and you will wear them faster the more aggressively you drive.

What power level mods do you have. The more the power the more you need tires that hold grip so wheel and tire fitment becomes more important.

In general Toyo R888R is a good durable track and street drag tire which can be used on the street. All tires are a compromise, the better drag tires aren't for track, the best track tires aren't for street, etc. GTR tires are going to be costly and just a wear item but the best tires make a huge difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Tay - Why is the staggered setup more forgiving when compared to square setup? I would have thought it was the other way around with the square being easier to control since it’s more “neutral.”

I’m currently running a 20x10 square setup with quite possibly the last set of 285/35/20 RE71Rs. Camber at -2F and -1R and I’m on stock suspension. The fronts rub a little on harder turns. I will need to replace the tires soon and was looking at R888Rs or perhaps going with a different rim setup, which is why this thread caught my eye.

pic for attention

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
146 Posts
@Tay - Why is the staggered setup more forgiving when compared to square setup? I would have thought it was the other way around with the square being easier to control since it’s more “neutral.”

I’m currently running a 20x10 square setup with quite possibly the last set of 285/35/20 RE71Rs. Camber at -2F and -1R and I’m on stock suspension. The fronts rub a little on harder turns. I will need to replace the tires soon and was looking at R888Rs or perhaps going with a different rim setup, which is why this thread caught my eye.

pic for attention

View attachment 403515
Here are some threads discussing square vs staggered:
Track setup-285 squared vs 285/315

Impression and suspension/wing settings on a square setup - Handling and Suspension

I think the wider wheels for a square setup, the easier it is to drive. I drove my friends car that has 19x11.5 square on 315/35/19 Hoosier R7s and it handled amazing. There was practically no understeer: SOLD - 2015 Pearl White BE - TRACK CAR - San Diego, CA

On my previous GT-R, I ran 20x10 on 285/35/30 front and 20x12 on 315/30/20 rear R888Rs and thought it was just fine.

You're definitely leaving a lot on the table with your current setup in both width and tire choice. I would at least want to run 20x10.5 in the front and rear and I would run different offset front and rear. So a custom set of 20x10.5 ET33 front and 20x10.5 ET0. I am not a fan of spacers. Especially for tracking.

There was a member here who ran 20x11 ET30 front and 20x11 ET0 rear with -3.5 camber in the front and claimed no rubbing even when tracking: Some alone time....

*You will need adjustable front upper control arms to get this camber

I would run the Nankang AR-1 or Goodyear Supercar 3R in 285/35/20 for this setup. Sure the wheels aren't rotatable but the tires are.

That all being said, for stock front fenders, I would still run the same 20x10 285/35/20 front and 20x12 rear but with 325/30/20 rear in either the Toyo R888R or the Toyo RR. Its a tried and true setup and you don't have to worry about rubbing.

With wide front fenders I would do 20x11 front and 20x12 rear on the 285/315 setup or even the 315/325 setup. Or 20x11 square with 305/30/20 Goodyear Supercar 3R.

There is a screw in the front fender you can remove that should help with the rubbing. See post 18: Front tires rubbing, any solutions?

By the way, I had the same Esprit replica wing on my previous GTR before I got the Varis wing

Reactions: Lopezdg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Square or stagger, think it all comes down to preference and setup. For an AWD car, my preference is to run the widest square tires you can possibly fit on the car, unless you really struggle to put power down (which is hard to imagine on the GTR). I find it a much more balanced car to drive that way.

A drag tire is not going to be a good track tire and vice versa, so maybe R888R is the default but I am certain that there are better options than R888R for track use. All the super 200TW extreme performance tires are very good. GY SC3 is a very good tire IMO for heavy cars like the GTR, the SC3R is even better at the expense of some wear trade-off.

Bridgestone RE71RS is now available and if you like the RE71R, then the RS is probably a solid choice as well.

Good luck. Picking out a tire that works best for you and your situation is not really that simple unfortunately.

·
Registered
146 Posts
335/30/20 is definitely the best match for a 285/35/20. Unfortunately there is no options for a track tire in that size... yet. The Yokohama AD09 will be coming out in that size soon and that is what I will be running on my Nismo.

I tracked with the 285/315 combo in both the Nitto NT01 and Toyo R888R for a few years on my 2014 and never had any issues. For now the 285/325 R888R or RR is the best we're gonna get.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have y’all considered going with 19” rims as kind of a middle ground between 18s and 20s or is there no benefit?
They're just isn't as good of sizes in 19s. There's the Hoosier R7 in 315/35/19, but thats about it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Have y’all considered going with 19” rims as kind of a middle ground between 18s and 20s or is there no benefit?
To me it is. 18" is too short of a tire in general and you will have trouble on the streets with clearance. 19 inch sizes are catching up, and there are a lot of tires now that come in 285-305 sizes depending on the tires you looking at (which are still shorter than OEM, but much less so than 18 inch tires). 20 inch sizes are still a little behind but getting there as well. IMO, I would only look into 18 inch tires if your car is strictly a track car that is trailered to and from events and you need sizes in the 315 and above range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts