Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fellow GTR community,

As most of you know, I have been keeping a log of my experience with Racing Brake OEM replacement rotors for my 2012 BE GTR. I have now come to the end of the life of the RB OEM replacement rotors. I have replaced my old combination of RB OEM replacement rotors front, and OE rotors in the rear, with a full set of RB OEM replacement rotors all the way around. This thread will serve to document my experience going forward, and show how the my first set of RB rotors held up.

I have a long standing thread with lots of updates after my track experience which is summarized below.

http://www.gtrlife.c...otorpad-review/

Summary:
  • OEM rotors cracked after 1 hard HPDE on Hawk DTC70 pads.
  • RB came to market with the first OEM replacement rotor for the DBA GTR.
  • Installed RB OEM replacement rotor on my car and went back to the track.
  • 10 hard track days later (Some with double duty driving switching with my wife. Actually closer to 15 track days.) the rotors are ready to be switched out.
  • Performed brake health checks along the way.
  • Used RB XT960, XT970, Hawk DTC60, and DTC70 race pads for the majority of the rotors life.
  • No brake cooling aids.
Conclusion:
  • RB rotors lasted way longer than the OEM rotors on the GTR with very aggressive pads and competitive driving.
  • The RB XT 970 race pad combo with the RB rotor had great feel, fade resistance and provided lots of brake confidence.
  • Great value proposition compared to some of the competitors on the market.
Brake System Condition:

After all of the track days outlined above my rotors started to show signs of crazing and light cracks. The RB OEM replacement rotors after 10 (15 counting my wife's track driving) track days are still usable for street driving. They have not warped and are vibration free when using new brake pads. On my last brake health check, we measured rotor thickness which is at 33.18mm. New rotors measure 34mm thick. After 1 year of street and track driving ( 26k miles), on race compound brake pads for 80% of the time, the rotors have lost only 0.82mm in thickness. That is a testament to rotor and pad combo along with the hardness of the rotor. I have attached pictures below for review.

A few of my brake pistons are shot in both of my front calipers. Similar to Shawn Hayes thread the pistons are coming apart. The brake dust boots are also ash at this point. I have yet do a rebuild of the caliper but will document that as well once its done. I feel I might be able to track a day or 2 on the calipers as is but RB has advised against it. I also want to try out some brake cooling to see if it will increase pad life and rotor life.

Hammad

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Ill keep RB in mind.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for sharing,
I have one year driving with 7000mi and 5 days of HPDE, still on OEM pad and rotors, but they started to crack a lot after my 5th days of HPDE
With Sakred informations I am thinking to order RB rotors, with pads would you suggest me, I am doing HPDE and also driving in town as a second car.

What tire are you running in front ?
My last HPDE i went from OEM size to 285 in front, witch mean more contact patch = more stopping power = more heat on the rotor , and i do not if its a coincidence but it is that day that my rotor cracked
for the first time ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing,
I have one year driving with 7000mi and 5 days of HPDE, still on OEM pad and rotors, but they started to crack a lot after my 5th days of HPDE
With Sakred informations I am thinking to order RB rotors, with pads would you suggest me, I am doing HPDE and also driving in town as a second car.

What tire are you running in front ?
My last HPDE i went from OEM size to 285 in front, witch mean more contact patch = more stopping power = more heat on the rotor , and i do not if its a coincidence but it is that day that my rotor cracked
for the first time ?
The bigger tire size could definitely contribute to the rotors cracking. I cracked my OEM rotors using stock tires and Hawk DTC70 pads. On the RB rotors I have used OEM tires and 285/315 R888s as well. The RB rotors have stood up to much faster laps, in much more adverse conditions than the OEM rotors did.

I currently use the most aggressive pad RB has to offer. I switched to this pad after I experienced fade with the Hawk DTV60/70 combo I was running. The RB XT970 is the pad I use on my car for track driving and daily driving. However, this is not for everyone, as with any aggressive pad you will increase rotor wear and have unwanted squealing noise/discoloration. I am lazy so I just leave the XT970 pads in after track days. This pad has a very high fade resistance which is exactly what I'm looking for. If you are an experienced driver and are turning some fast laps I would recommend the XT970 with the caveat that you should have a set of street pads.

I feel that when it comes to brakes, compromise pads are some of the most useless ways to spend money, especially if you are tracking. I hate going to the track and finding out that my after market equipment isn't up to the task. Then trying to secure track worthy parts and getting them in your car is a good way to ruin a track day IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sakred,

I looked at there web site ( RB ) there also offering a oversize rear rotors, are you running those rotor also ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RacingBrake offers several setups. OEM size replacement rotor rings, RB's open slotted 2-piece regular size complete rotors (with hats), Oversize version of open slotted 2-piece complete rotors.. Please check out website for detail. Thanks.

http://www.speedfors..._id=306&sort=2a
Like Chinchi mentioned RB has a very big range of offerings for the GTR. I am running the RB OEM Replacement rotor rings. These rotors allow you to use the OEM GTR hats. RB offers the Open Slot rotors in 390mm all the way around (Over-sized option), which uses the RB hats. These are a bit more expensive and from my talks with RB, provides a decent bit of weight reduction because of hat material.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've read your experience with great deal of jealousy. My set up is RB open slot and XT970 front and Girodisc Carbotech XP12 rear. While longevity is consistent with what you described, I have lost all confidence on my stopping power. At the end of most long straight, I need extra 150 to 200 feet extra compared to previous Carbotech XP16 on Girodisc front (which did not last very long). I feel the lack of initial bite compared to OEM pads and Carbotech. The torque needs a fraction of a second with moderate amount of brake before starting to rise but the peak torque seems lower and plateau despite the ability of R888 to brake harder. I produce much less G on braking compared to OEM for sure. Vibration at low speed is observed but I'd trade that any day for stopping power.
Just want to share my experience, while rotors seem to live up to the ads, pads are far less than what I expected. I'm switching back to Carbotech pads or something else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
RacingBrake is working on new compound for brake pads. Once its properly tested, it will be better for those who push their cars extra hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts