Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009's steering jacked up and I think power steering fluid is leaking. It feels exactly like an older car I had did when it's rack and pinion went bad. I'm not 100% sure but will take it in soon to get fixed.

Anyone got any advice on how to approach the repair. Should I get a new part, rebuild, find used? Any resources to help? From what I have read this might be very expensive. three months out of extended warranty and sadly I've barely driven my car int he past 18 months and was thinking about selling it back then.

Thx

· Registered
161 Posts
Good luck John. That totally sux.

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Sorry I'm not down with all the lingo. What does "steering jacked up" mean? Is it that someone literally jacked the car up using some of the steering elements?

· R35 member
3,069 Posts
Sorry I'm not down with all the lingo. What does "steering jacked up" mean? Is it that someone literally jacked the car up using some of the steering elements?
Jacked up = went bad

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Can somebody post up there best price on a steering rack. I was quoted around 3400.00 from Nissan and they said they were on back order.

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Any understanding as to what happened here? Was the car involved in any accidents?

· Registered
2,821 Posts
My 2009's steering jacked up and I think power steering fluid is leaking. It feels exactly like an older car I had did when it's rack and pinion went bad. I'm not 100% sure but will take it in soon to get fixed.

Anyone got any advice on how to approach the repair. Should I get a new part, rebuild, find used? Any resources to help? From what I have read this might be very expensive. three months out of extended warranty and sadly I've barely driven my car int he past 18 months and was thinking about selling it back then.

Thx
What does a bad rack and pinion feel like?

Sent from my SM-G928P using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you sure it's not the power steering pump? The pump was leaking on my 2009, replaced it and haven't had any problems with it.
Perhaps it is. It feels similar to my old Toyota Cressida when its rack and pinion when out. Also the car made some nasty groaning sounds when turning at the track. I was worries it was the bearings but now realize it was the power steering.

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to take the car in eventually. Been traveling and don't feel like leaving it at the dealer too long.

· What is six times nine?
1,267 Posts

Thx
Good luck!

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I had mine replaced under warranty at dealer @ 59 months. Tech said there was a bit of play. It wasn't really something I noticed going in (I guess it gradually built up), but steering was tighter after replacement. I know of a local '09 that was replaced as well - same diagnosis as mine. IIRC - my warranty bill was $5700.

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Good luck!

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I had mine replaced under warranty at dealer @ 59 months. Tech said there was a bit of play. It wasn't really something I noticed going in (I guess it gradually built up), but steering was tighter after replacement. I know of a local '09 that was replaced as well - same diagnosis as mine. IIRC - my warranty bill was $5700.
59 months? Was there an extended warranty on this item?

Sent from my SM-G928P using GT-R Life mobile app

· R35 Owner
391 Posts
I think you may be jumping the gun here. First off, how many miles and how many track days? Are you aware that the power steering fluid cap tends to go bad and leak a ton of fluid during track days? Have you checked the fluid level when hot? Do you feel the loss of steering power during a turn? Have you ever flushed the fluid? What you are describing sounds more like low/dirty fluid or a bad PS pump, not a rack. A bad rack will tend to grind when turning, or have slop or dead zones.

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you may be jumping the gun here. First off, how many miles and how many track days? Are you aware that the power steering fluid cap tends to go bad and leak a ton of fluid during track days? Have you checked the fluid level when hot? Do you feel the loss of steering power during a turn? Have you ever flushed the fluid? What you are describing sounds more like low/dirty fluid or a bad PS pump, not a rack. A bad rack will tend to grind when turning, or have slop or dead zones.
Yeah I have dead zones and it has gotten worse. It'll work a little and then bam not help hard to turn. I'm not doing anything until I take it in.

· Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update all, I took it in and they first said the hose assemply was leaking/bad. Replaced that but the pump was bad. Replaced that and now the rack and pinion is bad. $2400 (discounted) for the first two and they was $6500(assume w/o discount) for the rack and pinion. Crap. This all started happening right after my extended warranty expired.

So to all of you who offered to get me a rack and pinion please message me. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.