Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ this afternoon for some testing & tuning. I thought with the new 345 Mickeys I'd definitely be able to cut some 1.4x short times, but I wasn't even close. I tried every possible combination of Auto/Manual as well as different settings for the tranny and suspension and went from 20psi of air to 18 to 16 to 14 to 12. The car just would not hook. Anything below 3500 RPMs and it spun a tiny bit but then completely bogged. Leaving any higher than 3500 RPMs and it would just incinerate the rear tires through all of 1st gear, sometimes so bad that it would short shift into 2nd gear and bog. My best 60ft of the day was a weak 1.565.

Here's my best pass of the day. I was on the brakes somewhere in between the 1/8 and 1000ft. Keep in mind that in NJ they boot you if you go quicker than 11.5 so I had to brake pretty hard after the 1/8th. On this run, I screwed up and didn't brake hard enough resulting in the 11.4 and them booting me.

Receipt Font Material property Temperature Number

After comparing this slip to some of my passes from the last year as well as to other fast stock turbo GTRs, I believe this would have been about a 10.15 pass @ 137-139 had I not gotten out of it. My 1/8 mile traps all day ranged from 110.xx to 112.xx.

Here are my car's specs & mods:

2009 GTR (LC2) with around 24K miles on the odo
Cobb AP with NIS-006 & HP Logic E85 Tune
Rear 18x11 Volk SLs with 345-35-18 Mickey Thompson ET Drag Radials
OEM Front Wheels with some cheap General 275's (fronts don't spin at all!)
Twin Walbro 255's
ID1000's
Cobb SF 2.75" Intakes
OEM 2012 Suction Pipes
Agency Power Downpipes
Harman Motive non-resonated midpipe
OEM 2009 Catback

Weight Reduction:

Recaro SPA race seat
No passenger seat
Lightweight battery

I think I'm going to either swap out the Mickeys for some M&Hs or go back to a fresh pair of 315 Nitto NT05Rs. I'm also going to experiment with the new Cobb Alpha software and see how my car reacts to the new LC4 logic. I know this may sound crazy but I really think I can go 9.999 with the stock catback IF I can cut the same mid 1.4 60fts that Sleepdoc used to cut consistently. That's a BIG IF though because for some reason no matter what I do, no matter what track I run at, I still can't get this car to hook...

Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Running good

I think that 111-112mph might be a little optimistic, I think 108-110 good weather on stock turbos is about it. Do you know what the DA was?

My best pass recently was similar but with a better 60ft in 1550 DA Full weight (4025 with me in it)

1.48 60ft
6.54 1/8 mile
105.52 mph

I will be completing my set of M&H on the next production (1 week or so) and can test it out with LC4, and some weight reduction. I think at least one of us will go a 9 stock turbo.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1232 DA according to my calculations. I've been meaning to snag that Dragtimes.com app for my iPhone. :)

I don't put much stock in 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile trap speeds. For example, over the summer my GTR ran 10.409 @ 135.18 in the summer heat with only a 104.69 trap in the 1/8. I added the 2012 suction pipes and returned a couple weeks later and ran 10.301 @ 133.12 but with a 107.21 trap in the 1/8. So the car picked up about 2.5 in MPH in the 1/8th but LOST about 2 MPH in the 1/4. Doesn't make much sense but I know the car was quicker the second time out because if you subtract the 1000ft from the 1/4, the 1/8 from the 1000ft, the 330' from the 1/8, etc. the car was definitely quicker during each leg on the 10.3 pass despite the slower overall 1/4 mile trap speed. I think traps can be misleading due to different shift points on the car or perhaps the track equipment that calculates it is changed, re-calibrated etc. That's why I always look at ET and how quickly the car accelerates from one distance to another. The timeslip of course only shows your elapsed time from zero to the all the different distances so you need to do some subtraction to see your ET from one distance to another.

Last fall I ran a 6.54 @ 111.34 with open downpipes but no 2012 suction pipes or dyno tune (I was running a mail order tune). I think I could go 9's now with a low to mid 1.5 60ft if I rip the exhaust back off the car but I kinda feel that's cheating. I'm fixated on running 9's with the OEM catback. I think that would be pretty cool.

Nice run you posted. I think the key for both of us is to get our 60ft's down to mid 1.4's like sleepdoc. Any idea how he was able to do it? I line up right in the groove and try everything else I can think of. My car just spins. Wonder if his car hooked better than mine because it's something specific to the 2010 model year or there's a trick to getting the car to hook like that (camber?).

Running good

I think that 111-112mph might be a little optimistic, I think 108-110 good weather on stock turbos is about it. Do you know what the DA was?

My best pass recently was similar but with a better 60ft in 1550 DA Full weight (4025 with me in it)

1.48 60ft
6.54 1/8 mile
105.52 mph

I will be completing my set of M&H on the next production (1 week or so) and can test it out with LC4, and some weight reduction. I think at least one of us will go a 9 stock turbo.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think the track mph are off at many tracks. I vbox every one of my runs and it match more closely with mod. As the weather cooled 20 deg., track mph says I am running 1 mph slower yet vbox says my fastest trap ever. It seems like track calibration emphasize on correct ET. I don't believe people with same mods, same tune are going to trap 5 mph different at the 1/8 mi.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
112 in the 1/8 on stock turbos??? Holy shit balls.. I think the best 1/8 mph sleepdoc got was 107-108

I am selling my Nittos NT05Rs rear only they are 305/45/18 taller sidewall.. they have 20 miles(went to the track straight from discount tires) on them and 1 pass ..the first pass i launched 4500 rpms and it bogged bad(modified turbos) second pass launched 6500 and broke the left axle.. i guess they are pretty sticky...

let me know if you are interested!

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the offer my man but if I go back to the Nittos I think I'm gonna try the 315-40's again. The 305-45's are too tall since my front tires are short too (about 27.60in dia).

·
Registered
431 Posts
112 in the 1/8 on stock turbos??? Holy shit balls.. I think the best 1/8 mph sleepdoc got was 107-108

I am selling my Nittos NT05Rs rear only they are 305/45/18 taller sidewall.. they have 20 miles(went to the track straight from discount tires) on them and 1 pass ..the first pass i launched 4500 rpms and it bogged bad(modified turbos) second pass launched 6500 and broke the left axle.. i guess they are pretty sticky...

let me know if you are interested!
That's right down insane! On stock turbos! You have by far the best mph in the 1/8th. Good luck with it!!!!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do you know what your 1000' was on that 10.19 run BigBill?
8.507 was my 1000ft.

I think the ET is possible. But the trap speed still seems a bit high. But next time just run it all out if your gonna get kicked off.

If your spinning thats an insane mph, In my experience I get more MPH when I don't spin. My Lincoln or Mustang I spin and get more MPH less ET, this car if it spins the MPH goes down for some reason.

·
Vendor
1,382 Posts
Oem catback with or without cutout?

I have seen on a few occasions the MPH at Island can be higher than the other tracks around here. Try at another track to verify.

Good going.

Sean

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OEM catback with no cutout. I'm not a fan of cutouts.

I've gone 111-112 in the 1/8th at Atco Raceway but that was last year when I was running open downpipes although the car was a little heavier and didn't have the 2012 suction pipes.

Heard you kicked ass at E-town yesterday. Congrats my man.

Oem catback with or without cutout?

I have seen on a few occasions the MPH at Island can be higher than the other tracks around here. Try at another track to verify.

Good going.

Sean

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I think the track mph are off at many tracks.

It seems like track calibration emphasize on correct ET.
I totally agree. Over time, from personal experience and evaluating a large # of time slips, I have come to the same conclusion. I no longer put too much weight on trap speed, unless of course it is the same day, same lane comparison. Then, I believe it ....

ET on the other hand, always seems to be right on. After all, when real Drag competitions are done, they use ET, thus the calibration needs to be correct.

BTW, Nice runs OP, and I agree with Bill, Someone should break into the 9's soon ..

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think last night I finally figured out why your old car hooked at the strip and mine doesn't. It's all in the clutch engagement. Smoother clutch engagement reduces wheelspin and that can be tweaked with the TPs and CCs. I'm on LC4 now and wow, I can't believe the difference in clutch engagement!

I totally agree. Over time, from personal experience and evaluating a large # of time slips, I have come to the same conclusion. I no longer put too much weight on trap speed, unless of course it is the same day, same lane comparison. Then, I believe it ....

ET on the other hand, always seems to be right on. After all, when real Drag competitions are done, they use ET, thus the calibration needs to be correct.

BTW, Nice runs OP, and I agree with Bill, Someone should break into the 9's soon ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think last night I finally figured out why your old car hooked at the strip and mine doesn't. It's all in the clutch engagement. Smoother clutch engagement reduces wheelspin and that can be tweaked with the TPs and CCs. I'm on LC4 now and wow, I can't believe the difference in clutch engagement!

INSANE ACCELERATION

INSANE!!! lolol

stock turbo? was that at the track?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.