Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I ordered a mid-pipe, and cat-back exhaust, from one of the vendors on here, after the first install, the car rattled so horribly that the car was almost not drivable... I found another shop to redo the install, and in their opinion it was the gaskets that was sent with the exhaust, that were causing the problem because they were much too small for the exhaust that was installed, the problem was much much better, and I was happy, but then I took my car to the track and after a few passes, the rattle came back with a fury, and was so horrible it would actually shake my seat when attempting to accelerate below 3.5k rpm.... after letting the car cool down I restarted it and the car made no noise at all, I still went and checked everything and nothing I could see seemed to be wrong, next week at the track the same thing occurred...

This problem is driving me insane, and was not present before the exhaust install, so I am sure that has to be the problem, but I can't find out whats causing the rattle, it seems to be coming from the midpipe area of the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had this before with an R35 midpipe.

Where the 2 pipes become one there is often a small dividing plate welded in at the fork to help guide the gas flow. I had that guide break free and it sounded like a coin in my exhaust.

Pull the mid-pipe out and check if it is the case.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Sounds like you bought a china made exhaust, right?

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
I have had this before with an R35 midpipe.

Where the 2 pipes become one there is often a small dividing plate welded in at the fork to help guide the gas flow. I had that guide break free and it sounded like a coin in my exhaust.

Pull the mid-pipe out and check if it is the case.
+1

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
Check the mid-pipe and the black cross bar for clearance. When I installed the downpipes and mid-pipe, it was rattling. The mid-pipe was very close and started tapping the cross bar @ 3-3500 rpm. I put some washers and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
why cant the forum supporting vendor you bought it from help you out

·
Registered
11 Posts
why cant the forum supporting vendor you bought it from help you out
I've been in contact with them and they've tried to be helpful, so I didnt come on here to point fingers but just to get some suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts