Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to "meet" my new brakes yesterday - my builder was able to source them from Nissan, finally (though somehow hood-latch cables are still en route - its not a supply chain, more like a loose scattering of links now).

They're straight-up hilarious, even to someone with a bunch of seat time in (a buddy's) state of the art supercars like the 812. When you unpack them caliper-first, you get the sense of having received king kong's slippers in the mail by accident - can fit a fist between the sides. The pistons are vented beefy affairs, and the whole thing looks like it belongs on one of those enormous construction vehicles - yellow and all. Then you get to the rotors and it starts to make sense - thing's absurdly large in depth and diameter. My builder's 6-6'1 i'd say, looks like a Disenchantment elf holding it up to his chest. Even the Urus' and 812 brakes look reasonable compared to these things, and at least the Lambo SUV has some serious weight on the GTR (the 812 is 11lbs heavier, officially, though that's before you shave off the unsprung brake weight).

The reason for using these is track application - the existing up-rated brakes are great and all, but its a significant amount of weight to be throwing around and can't quite shed speed to par with how fast she accelerates. Its street-driven, so they do need the full operating range... Has anyone performed such a conversion? Were there any adjustments that were needed on the software side of the house as relating to VDC/biasing/etc? How's the feel in cold and hot operation compared to a metal setup?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Great job doing it.....Hope it all goes together .... all GTR's should have had these as an option...Porsche charges 10k for this upgrade... same size for GT3...

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Got to "meet" my new brakes yesterday - my builder was able to source them from Nissan, finally (though somehow hood-latch cables are still en route - its not a supply chain, more like a loose scattering of links now).

They're straight-up hilarious, even to someone with a bunch of seat time in (a buddy's) state of the art supercars like the 812. When you unpack them caliper-first, you get the sense of having received king kong's slippers in the mail by accident - can fit a fist between the sides. The pistons are vented beefy affairs, and the whole thing looks like it belongs on one of those enormous construction vehicles - yellow and all. Then you get to the rotors and it starts to make sense - thing's absurdly large in depth and diameter. My builder's 6-6'1 i'd say, looks like a Disenchantment elf holding it up to his chest. Even the Urus' and 812 brakes look reasonable compared to these things, and at least the Lambo SUV has some serious weight on the GTR (the 812 is 11lbs heavier, officially, though that's before you shave off the unsprung brake weight).

The reason for using these is track application - the existing up-rated brakes are great and all, but its a significant amount of weight to be throwing around and can't quite shed speed to par with how fast she accelerates. Its street-driven, so they do need the full operating range... Has anyone performed such a conversion? Were there any adjustments that were needed on the software side of the house as relating to VDC/biasing/etc? How's the feel in cold and hot operation compared to a metal setup?
I friend of mine put the 2020 ccms on his 2019 Nismo.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just put the OEM Nismo kit on my 2018 Nismo. Love how they look and feel :).

·
Registered
217 Posts
What differences are you guys feeling subjectively? I have only found 1 company selling the 2020 full kit CCMs online for approx US$16k. Is this the same price you got them through Nissan?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
93 Posts
Piston sizes:

FRONT:

30/34/36mm (Total 52.65 cm^2) - All except 2020 Nismo CCB

28/32/38mm (Total 51.08 cm^2) - 2020 Nismo CCB

REAR: Same for ALL

30/30mm (Total 28.27 cm^2)

As you can see they are almost identical in total piston area & brake bias except the color (Gold vs. yellow) and look.

Track racers would still prefer the original gold calipers with open tops for easy brake pad change and inspection vs. 20+ Nismo with a close top.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Piston sizes:

FRONT:
30/34/36mm (Total 52.65 cm^2) - All except 2020 Nismo CCB
28/32/38mm (Total 51.08 cm^2) - 2020 Nismo CCB

REAR: Same for ALL
30/30mm (Total 28.27 cm^2)

As you can see they are almost identical in total piston area & brake bias except the color (Gold vs. yellow) and look.
Track racers would still prefer the original gold calipers with open tops for easy brake pad change and inspection vs. 20+ Nismo with a close top.
Thanks Warren.
Can you please put a link to the equivalent 2020 nismo ccm brake kit you supply. Also if any other components need changing, such as dust shield etc.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
93 Posts
Rotor sizes:

2009-2011: 380x34 / 380x30mm

2012+: 390x32.8 / 380x30mm

2020+ Nismo CCB: 410x38/390x32mm

Assume you will be sourcing the calipers yourself which I heard the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Front Caliper:

nismo-front1.PNG

Rear Caliper:

nismo-rear1.PNG

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Here is the same list but with GM brembo rotor options for the masses.

Rotor sizes:

Nissan 2009-2011: 380x34 / 380x30mm

Nissan 2012+: 390x32.8 / 380x30mm

Nissan 2020+ Nismo CCB: 410x38/390x32mm

GM Brembo : 380x34mm, 390x32mm, 394mmx36mm

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is the same list but with GM brembo rotor options for the masses.

Rotor sizes:

Nissan 2009-2011: 380x34 / 380x30mm

Nissan 2012+: 390x32.8 / 380x30mm

Nissan 2020+ Nismo CCB: 410x38/390x32mm

GM Brembo : 380x34mm, 390x32mm, 394mmx36mm
Awesome info. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still waiting for the car to come back - the shop's started doing a bunch of V10s over the last year and i think my little brake job is lower on the priority list than the 6-figures those guys can push in hard cash :-(. Hopefully will get some time with it this season, will post photos soon as i can get some on the car.
Meantime, here's a look what Nissan thinks should do the trick for dissipation... that is not a small person holding the caliper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: turns out that my widebody vossen wheels have a small lip on the inside of the rim - just enough to interfere with the edge of the caliper. Builder's trying to source wheels for a liberty car from another customer who has a widebody but not CCMs. Worst case, a small adjustment can be made to the calipers, but we all think its sacrilege so trying to find proper-fit 20's instead.

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Still waiting for the car to come back - the shop's started doing a bunch of V10s over the last year and i think my little brake job is lower on the priority list than the 6-figures those guys can push in hard cash :-(. Hopefully will get some time with it this season, will post photos soon as i can get some on the car.
Meantime, here's a look what Nissan thinks should do the trick for dissipation... that is not a small person holding the caliper.
View attachment 398682
I would expect a better powder coating outcome than that from Nissan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nissan did a decent job, but turns out you can't powder coat calipers without fully rebuilding them since the oven will cook the seals :(. However, there are apparently very high temperature paints designed for this application which can be used to match up the original coat quite well (also its a tiny sliver on a place you can't see with the wheels on 'em).
Unfortunately the car which had the wheels we were trying to acquire was sold, and the buyer wouldn't take it without them (i can't fault 'em, though obviously a bit peeved since i actually needed them for clearance and was willing to overpay to get them). The small adjustments required to avoid the weird inner-rim-placed TPMS bump on my wheels was made yesterday, builder was on it till nearly midnight, and saw grainy video of it assembled (with roll bar installed!!) today. The rear wheels look about as filled-out by brakes as the fronts used to, the fronts look like something out of a concept sketch by an avid teenage fan - insane. Fingers crossed, should have a chance to find out how they work in the next couple of days, presuming that the builder's generally extremely nice and outgoing spouse doesn't skin me with my own teeth first for making her husband stay at work all night. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,939 Posts
Nissan did a decent job, but turns out you can't powder coat calipers without fully rebuilding them since the oven will cook the seals :(. However, there are apparently very high temperature paints designed for this application which can be used to match up the original coat quite well (also its a tiny sliver on a place you can't see with the wheels on 'em).
Unfortunately the car which had the wheels we were trying to acquire was sold, and the buyer wouldn't take it without them (i can't fault 'em, though obviously a bit peeved since i actually needed them for clearance and was willing to overpay to get them). The small adjustments required to avoid the weird inner-rim-placed TPMS bump on my wheels was made yesterday, builder was on it till nearly midnight, and saw grainy video of it assembled (with roll bar installed!!) today. The rear wheels look about as filled-out by brakes as the fronts used to, the fronts look like something out of a concept sketch by an avid teenage fan - insane. Fingers crossed, should have a chance to find out how they work in the next couple of days, presuming that the builder's generally extremely nice and outgoing spouse doesn't skin me with my own teeth first for making her husband stay at work all night. :)
Replacing the seals is not hard to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, but a caliper rebuild is time, money, and parts - on brand new OEM CCM calipers. When it comes time to do so, we'll powdercoat them in the process. Meantime, much more interested in the 120-0 time/distance :).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Unfortunately, its been raining here, so i can't yet say much about their performance under abusive loads. However, in terms of "normal" driving of such monstrous vehicles, they definitely feel and perform much better than the up-rated conventional setup i was running prior. Pedal feel is much more stiff, but properly progressive with the level of braking being applied (it moves much less now, because i dont have to actuate as much for same effect). There is no squeal, no rapid-onset bite, just very smooth and graceful operation. 85-55 is nearly instant (on cold brakes btw) - don't mess around with these if there's anything short of Ares on his chariot behind you or you'll have a new passenger (mainly their front bumper support). I personally hated 1st-gen CCBs on everything except the 360 stradale, the 2nd gen stuff is a lot better (esp in the VWAG/lambo world), but even on an 812 or 488 you still have to bed the damned things just to make the sound of them bearable ('rarris have caliper preload to keep a fraction of a hair between pads and rotors for immediate response, which has a negative consequence with fibrous brake material).
These did need to bed, but for form not sound (initially they were chattery) - luckily the builder did that for me, so i got a very pleasant drive home from the shop.
Given the rain, not had much of a chance to see the benefit of unsprung weight but even so, the car feels weirdly nimble on its toes for something so large even by GT standards - there's better feel for steering angle on entry and maybe a more lively response to adjustment (i took a few exits, safely of course, well within the bounds of traction and all that...). Having not been in a 1k+ car for a bit though, its all highly subjective (drove up in the RS, drove this back).
Will report back once i can get some heat into these things and hopefully track time. Meanwhile, here's some very yellow car pr0n:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rain let up for a few hours, so decided to figure out what these things are all about, and with just pump gas in the tank i kept it down to 18psi and did a bit of highway and back-road testing... I think i've figured out the trick they're using to keep them so drivable but vicious when that's needed - there's either some valving magic or my tuner did something to the electronics involved, to keep them on progressive rate up top with 30-40% becoming linear. Getting into them while cold and damp is quite informative - lower than ideal conditions still produce better braking force than conventional kit by a significant margin. A few hard brakes on open highway indicates that as they dry and warm up, that 40%+ tier becomes quite aggressive. VDC seems fine with it, in case anyone's wondering (if anything a bit crisper).
The biggest difference for technical driving though isn't the confidence of knowing that at any point you can stop here, its the surprising level of information suddenly coming back from the (305) fronts. Those factory rotors function as harmonic balancers to some degree, eating up road feel in conjunction with all of the magic pieces which make it a GTR. Even on these large slabs of r888 i'm suddenly very aware of where my nose is, steering angle, slip rate (its wet out, ... happens), and both what i need to do in order to effect correction or what i can make the car do with my right foot to induce the VDC for same effect. There's a cage in here too now, so that might help a bit with how precise everything feels. To the point about VDC, its intervention feels shorter in duration and without the sort of lurching assistance it provides but much more like the "light correction" you get in the new V10/v12 cars (or, the TTRS since it stole the R8s driveline and turned it sideways). Not saying its as gentle or polite, but instead of getting fist pumped by a mountain gorilla when you screw the line, its more like a gentle roundhouse to the ass by mr Van Damme (its still a fully built GTR, manners do not come included below 7/10ths)
With this upgrade the car suddenly scores right up there with the TTRS in terms of nose-feel for cornering/transitions/etc - the positive engagement from all that weight on the front wheels is still there, but now it feeds back to the steering wheel a hell of a lot better. Ironically, the high-tech-evil-to-purists cars both have a much more solid nose than my zero-frills caged/braced/edfca'd MR2 (mid engine, you lose weight over the nose and there are both traction and feel concerns despite an unassisted steering setup - makes you careful consider your relationship with the almighty in those moments). Also notable that while i'm probably at around 700ft/lb right now, there's no point above 2700 where it feels in any way short on point torque, even when doing "GTR-only" things on highway sweeper interchanges. The reduction in rotational mass is physically notable in both acceleration and precision of input/output.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts