Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow GT-R owners -- I have a question. I own a 2012 GT-R Premium with 2,000 miles. I love the car to death, but there is an extremely annoying rattle coming from *somewhere* in the back seat. It's a ratlle/buzzing sound that comes and goes with road surface conditions and speed. When the car is cold, it's most evident. It will even occur briefly at start-up, as the engine idles down and the RPM's decrease through the usual range. Whenever I lean back between the seats to try and find it, it stops -- just like going to the doctor.

I know this is a car that isn't judged on rattles. But I am trying to use it daily rather than park it all week -- and I even want to make good use of the bluetooth technology when commuting. This is difficult with an intermittent rattle. But perhaps most importantly, it stresses the heck out of me. Yeah, I'm a perfectionist -- shoot me.

Here's my question: Has anyone had any luck identifying common/likely sources of such a rattle/buzz in the back seat? Anything I might investigate first (i.e., things I can try first that are relatively obvious, before going to greater lengths)? I have read the posts about major-overhaul sound deadening (and I love the idea), but candidly I don't want to dive into dissembling the car (I'm no closet mechanic) just yet if there are some *easier* things to try first.

Any advice would be appreciated. This car is so awesome in every other way -- I hate to have this negate the experience for me whenever I drive it. I can always roll down the windows and turn up the stereo ... but that seems somehow like a cop-out for a $90k machine. And my stress level still climbs -- I can't fool myself.

Many thanks in advance ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the case someone peruses this post due to a similar problem, I figured it would be worth a couple of minutes to explain how my rattle was eliminated.

After much trial-and-error solutioning that involved removing most everything behind the front seats (my dealership cooperated nicely and did all the work), the rattle was isolated to the passenger seat belt spring mechanism BEHIND the interior sidewall (i.e., the rattle was within the seat belt ratchet/return mechanism hidden from view, located just below the slot where the belt disappears from the cabin into the sidewall). By removing the seat belt mechanism entirely, the rattle was eliminated. A new replacement seat belt was installed and voila -- no rattle. Though I understand that Nissan does not necessarily like nor condone replacing seat belt equipment for rattles under warranty, in the case of my GT-R they made an exception.

Hope this helps the next rattle victim ...

·
R35 member
226 Posts
I think I may have the same rattle....thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like i'm having the same problem in mine, it sounded like the noise was come from the rear passenger side window but now that it has being mentioned a few times that the seat belt clip would rattle it makes sense. Has anyone fixed this issue without having the seatbelt mechanism replaced? I believe one person was told by the dealership that this was a common problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I might also have this issue, I got my whole interior dynomated because of this rattling noise. Did anyone fix this without having seatbelt mechanism replaced.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same rattling noise from the rear here.... ANNOYING! Sometimes it sounded like its from the underside of the vehicle.....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
back from the dead but its the rear defroster module on the rear pillar, remove the interior and panel and put some foam and or dynamat in there and it will be fixed no problem

·
R35 member
226 Posts
I took my daughter's car seat out, reinstalled it, and the sound went away....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts