Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my modified GTR with straight through cat-less exhaust there is tons of build up of soot on the tail pipes and rear portion of the car. It is especially pronounced as soot is black and my car is white. So much soot builds up after a handful of drives that my beautiful blue titanium exhaust tips go completely black.

Does anyone have the same problem and/or found a way to minimize it? Are there any products out there that you can use to prevent the soot from "sticking" to the car so easy? Even with my car highly polished it seems the soot sticks really easy. Not sure if it's a static charge or just because the soot is kinda wet/damp. I was thinking at least for the exhaust tips applying a light/thin layer of grease would make it easier to clean but also would make the soot stick even easier to begin with.

I was thinking maybe someone knows of a compound you could apply that repels soot.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Mine does the same thing. The tail pipes just get nasty. My car is Gun Metal so it doesn't show up on the paint so much. The car inherently creates a back draft and pulls the soot back up onto the rear bumper cover. Seems to be worse after a fresh wax job probably because of static. Luckily the soot my car produces is not real hard to remove from the tail pipes.

This can't be avoided unless you go to E85 I've heard.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Its the mark of a catless exhaust. Other than putting the cats back in, I really don't know of a way to minimize it. Unburned fuel and aerodynamics.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yeah the moment my car got downpipes the soot is more prevalent. My GT-R is solid red. Also my tune is a little on the rich side as per Switzer to keep the stock internals safe.

Zavodney is right, there is a backdraft on the GT-R. All cars have this.

R

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a white GT-R with no-cats and I track a lot. Soot builds up and this "Briteside Miracle wash" (yes, its in a can!) product works wonders for not only cleaning it but also not allowing it 'stick' so bad. You can buy it on the amsoil website. Attached is a picture of the can.

I would also recommend that you use a liquid clay-bar product (i.e turtle wax/ice brand) once a month or so on the back bumper and strip off some of the old wax and apply new.

~toast

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm going E85 and am looking forward to having a clean ass. I DD my car and having the back go dark in a couple days is no good

I bought the rexspeed catted midpipe before I made my decision, sitting in my living room now (will post it for sale later). It's the only other solution besides E85.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm a white owner also and the soot is the main reason I have kept stock downpipes. I don't wanna wash the car every 2-3 days.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm going E85 and am looking forward to having a clean ass. I DD my car and having the back go dark in a couple days is no good

I bought the rexspeed catted midpipe before I made my decision, sitting in my living room now (will post it for sale later). It's the only other solution besides E85.
Where do you plan on getting E85 in LA area? I was thinking of E85 but the stations seem far and few

·
Bulldogmike
678 Posts
Had the same issue - running cattless downs and cattless mid and rear (Password JDM)... on a pearl white car. Constant PIA. until I switched to E85..... no more issues....!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Where do you plan on getting E85 in LA area? I was thinking of E85 but the stations seem far and few
There is one a few miles from me but yeah not many. I can switch to 91 so I'm not worried. I wouldn't switch if I was in OC, closest station to you is Norwalk.

SoCal needs more E85!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
There is one a few miles from me but yeah not many. I can switch to 91 so I'm not worried. I wouldn't switch if I was in OC, closest station to you is Norwalk.

SoCal needs more E85!
I found a station in Torrance and one in San Pedro which is on the way to my parents house. When you switch to E85 which station will you be using? I was thinking of keeping a few 15 gallon jugs with E85 in my garage to save the amount of trips to the station.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I found a station in Torrance and one in San Pedro which is on the way to my parents house. When you switch to E85 which station will you be using? I was thinking of keeping a few 15 gallon jugs with E85 in my garage to save the amount of trips to the station.
There is a station near me in Brentwood. I will be keeping some jugs around as well.

I'm taking a look at what the best way to store e85 is, it's corrosive and hygroscopic so there are a few things to watch out for.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
There is a station near me in Brentwood. I will be keeping some jugs around as well.

I'm taking a look at what the best way to store e85 is, it's corrosive and hygroscopic so there are a few things to watch out for.
Yeah I was just doing the research online. A lot of the soft metals are corrosive to Ethanol. Some guy on an Evo Forum bought a 55-gallon plastic barrel for just a few bucks and installed a plastic hand pump into the barrel. He said he's been storing it for a while and it works well. Problem is Ethanol is corrosive to some plastics and rubbers too. Was thinking of doing that. The Norwalk station is 24 miles from my house. With a storage system like a 55 gallon drum I wouldn't have to make that drive very often at all (maybe once every two months). And then when I go visit my parents I could fill up a couple jugs at the Brentwood station. Man! I really want to convert for the power and lack of soot

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Yeah I was just doing the research online. A lot of the soft metals are corrosive to Ethanol. Some guy on an Evo Forum bought a 55-gallon plastic barrel for just a few bucks and installed a plastic hand pump into the barrel. He said he's been storing it for a while and it works well. Problem is Ethanol is corrosive to some plastics and rubbers too. Was thinking of doing that. The Norwalk station is 24 miles from my house. With a storage system like a 55 gallon drum I wouldn't have to make that drive very often at all (maybe once every two months). And then when I go visit my parents I could fill up a couple jugs at the Brentwood station. Man! I really want to convert for the power and lack of soot
Be careful transporting in quantity. DOT will nail your ass for no Hazmat license and no placards. I think at 55 gal. you should be ok but I'd check.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.