Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I don't post a lot on the board. I spend my time reading rather than typing but I guess I would share my results. Please feel free to share thoughts and ask questions.

My setup:

HKS Hybrid filters
AAM Catless Downpipes
AAM Catless Midpipe
AMS MAF sensors
ID 1000cc Injectors
Kelford Stage 1 Camshafts with valve springs
2012 turbo inlet pipe upgrade

Attachments

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Nice! Who tuned it, AMS? 93 octane? Do you think you benefited anything from those cams with the stock turbos?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was tuned by Chris Black at AMS on 93 octane. Right now at the moment the Cams aren't showing their potential in terms of horsepower. My ego sorta says they were worth it because how smooth the power comes on and because I have yet to race a GTR without cams.

Chris explained to me that it was much easier to shove in a lot of extra air on the bottom end since the valves were open longer but that for high horsepower you would need to be able to shove in extra air in the mid range and top end as well. This can only come from upgraded turbos. I would say though that having all that torque at 4k is a wonderful feeling

I may consider some more breathing mods such as intakes but right now want to enjoy the power.

·
AllYourBoostAreBelongToUs
358 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't post a lot on the board. I spend my time reading rather than typing but I guess I would share my results. Please feel free to share thoughts and ask questions.

My setup:

HKS Hybrid filters
AAM Catless Downpipes
AAM Catless Midpipe
AMS MAF sensors
ID 1000cc Injectors
Kelford Stage 1 Camshafts with valve springs
2012 turbo inlet pipe upgrade
very nice!!! i have very similar mods minus the cams, and was recently tuned at ams, numbers in sig... almost identical. i was tuned by mitch. my evo was tuned by chris.. i was on slightly less boost like 18.1 psi

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
It was tuned by Chris Black at AMS on 93 octane. Right now at the moment the Cams aren't showing their potential in terms of horsepower. My ego sorta says they were worth it because how smooth the power comes on and because I have yet to race a GTR without cams.

Chris explained to me that it was much easier to shove in a lot of extra air on the bottom end since the valves were open longer but that for high horsepower you would need to be able to shove in extra air in the mid range and top end as well. This can only come from upgraded turbos. I would say though that having all that torque at 4k is a wonderful feeling

I may consider some more breathing mods such as intakes but right now want to enjoy the power.
I think you could have used real intake pipes instead of hks Filters.. I mean the cost of Intake pipes are pretty cheap and should allow the turbos to breath..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very nice!!! i have very similar mods minus the cams, and was recently tuned at ams, numbers in sig... almost identical. i was tuned by mitch. my evo was tuned by chris.. i was on slightly less boost like 18.1 psi
Yeah I was looking at your dyno the day I got it back to see if I could make some comparisons. I'm pretty happy with the power but I want closer to 600 whp without having to switch to e85.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I found it odd that you bought $1000 MAF sensors when you could have gotten 3 inch intakes for less and thereby not only gotten nice new intakes but also increased your stock MAF capacity in the process and thereby eliminating the need for new sensors. Before the advent of speed density tuning option with the AP, I guess I could see it as simply planning ahead but now I just don't see any need to have higher capacity MAF sensors anymore.

·
Cobb Tuning
421 Posts
The customer expressed interest in keeping some things stock, which is why these fit in with his goals. Regardless of that, to use speed density (correctly) it would need the maf sensors relocated to the intercooler pipes, which would also add additional cost. While there are a plethora of options for those who do wish to change intake pipes, these are still a very good option for those customers attempting to keep the stock appearance/parts in appreciation of Nissan's original design.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
The customer expressed interest in keeping some things stock, which is why these fit in with his goals. Regardless of that, to use speed density (correctly) it would need the maf sensors relocated to the intercooler pipes, which would also add additional cost. While there are a plethora of options for those who do wish to change intake pipes, these are still a very good option for those customers attempting to keep the stock appearance/parts in appreciation of Nissan's original design.
hey Chris,
whats the reason behind relocating the mafs to the i/c pipes ?
afaik mafs only read temp and work for the temp compensation in speed density or am i missing something ?

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
MAF relocation into the upper I/c pipe is for speed density tuning and yes, the MAF is only used for temperature readings.
Quite so. Yet a lot of tuners including mine sd tune with the maf sensor in the stock location.

I've wondered about the pros and cons of this.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I found it odd that you bought $1000 MAF sensors when you could have gotten 3 inch intakes for less and thereby not only gotten nice new intakes but also increased your stock MAF capacity in the process and thereby eliminating the need for new sensors. Before the advent of speed density tuning option with the AP, I guess I could see it as simply planning ahead but now I just don't see any need to have higher capacity MAF sensors anymore.
I have to agree with Guru. I also know vir2L very well, and count myself lucky to call him a friend. I think he wanted to keep his car 'as stock' as much as it didnt impact performance. He believed the CAMs would fix the power missing from all stock GTRs in 3rd gear from midrange to redline. So he tried an approach, and I dont think we knew for certainty what would happen. I told him, if it worked I would most likely follow suit and get cams. He's got more money then me ;-) so I was happy to let him try. I dont agree with the needs for the MAF's either, but I am no 'tuner,' I would have gone with the gotboost 3.0 intake first... oh yeah, thats right.. I did
. We are going to do the same for his car, and I honestly hope AMS can appeciate that after spending as much as he has with them, he deserves a 'free-ish' e-tune for getting this setup where it needs to be after I install his gotboost intakes for free

At a minimum you can pay me back for my assistance with getting JJ to you also. Its a small world, JJ, vir2L and I are all friends, take care of anyone of us, and you take care of us all.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
734 Posts
You can get the MAF plate flanges from AAM at a very reasonable cost and weld them on the upper IC pipes. That is what I am doing later on and just welding the ones on the intake shut but now I understand why he did it that way. Didn't know he was looking for the stock look. Nice job going for cams! I wonder how the torque curves look compared to a similar setup. Usually camshafts help extend and flatten torque curves after the peak but not sure if they can do so with such small stock turbos.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to add an update and not keep this discussion going too much longer, I will be installing the AAM premium exhaust and gotboost 3" intakes in a week or so. I will post a new dyno once I get retuned by AMS.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Its almost as if you have a little angel on your shoulder who gives you guidance..... must be nice..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally thought that the issue of 3rd gear not pulling hard enough was a result of not having the valve terrain optimized to our boost levels. Despite our horsepower and torque we do not have the breathing capacity in terms of intake and exhaust valves as larger engines such as v8s,10s,12s. So I thought that something would have to be done about the valves in order to accommodate the extra boost and be able to keep up in the higher gears.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-Update

I just installed the AAM competition premium exhaust yesterday with the major help and contribution of our fellow member 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR. So far him and I did our fair share of testing the exhaust with some street pulls. I raced a m5 v10 from a stop and just murdered him very badly right around the top of 1st gear. But back to the exhaust the initial impressions are that the car feels much smoother and far less restricted. I am actually shocked how downplayed the exhaust really has been in terms of restrictions. From a highway pull stand point I feel a major improvement. Retune with the addition of gotboost 3" intakes and the exhaust is this Tuesday at AMS.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.