Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I know there must be a topic about this somewhere but a few quick search did not come up exactly and so many other threads. I've been using 0W40 Mobil 1 for the track (as manual says the engine was designed with 0W40 in mind) and my car is mainly for track use. I've heard a lot about 15W50 or some other more viscous oil.
What do people use (brands, viscosity) and why please? Evidence (Blackstone analysis) would be great!
Or someone can simply direct me to the thread that this issue discussed. Sorry for being lazy and not looking harder.
Thanks a bunch.
Naris

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey buddy - I've had good luck with mixing the 0w-40 and the 15w-50, both Mobil 1. I use a 2:3 ratio and I change it between summer and winter. IE, during the winter I use 3 qts of the 0w-40 and 2 of the 15w-50, then reverse that for summer. Keep in mind I live in Phoenix where my morning oil temps at startup are usually around 50deg during the winter and 100+deg during the summer. I change the oil after every couple of track days, regardless of mileage, and I have never had any issues with oil temps on track. I also have the Dodson low temp oil thermostat which I highly recommend.

The only time I've tried another oil was on the recommendation of a local performance shop. It was the Valvoline 5w-40 formulated for Diesel engines - supposedly has a higher zinc content. Anyways, it ran fine on the street but promptly overheated on track. That's the only time I've seen my oil temps spike over 260 deg on track. I later found out that the high zinc content is bad for O2 sensors and cats, so I promptly switched back to Mobil1 and have been running that ever since.

No blackstone reports, though - sorry...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hi guys,
I know there must be a topic about this somewhere but a few quick search did not come up exactly and so many other threads. I've been using 0W40 Mobil 1 for the track (as manual says the engine was designed with 0W40 in mind) and my car is mainly for track use. I've heard a lot about 15W50 or some other more viscous oil.
What do people use (brands, viscosity) and why please? Evidence (Blackstone analysis) would be great!
Or someone can simply direct me to the thread that this issue discussed. Sorry for being lazy and not looking harder.
Thanks a bunch.
Naris
Might want to search for posts re: Castrol 10W-60 TWS Motorsport use in the GT-R; (it's the OEM oil for the E60 M5 btw). Certain people had great results using this 1/2 with the OEM Mobil 1 on track in the past. Send a PM to Shawn too; he's the one to ask.
Bish

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the mix of two or more types of viscosity affect the peak temperature when the oil starts to break down? and how would I know that it's the "better" viscosity for the track use? I get the sense that people use more viscous oil on the track. Anyone knows what type of oil GT3 GTR runs (the one with similar engine config. as our car)?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Higher viscosity lubricants are more viscous and power robbing and have poor start up protection from cold ( its relative ) You want the lowest viscosity that provides sufficient protection in the conditions you operate in .... Lubes with high visc are for earth moving equipment ( I kid but you get the idea )

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
On a similar note. When you go for a beer with your buddy. Do you ever ask for a beer half made of Bud and half of Miller beer. No ? ..... No I don't either because it will be pretty crap stuff and not worth the effort. Why would you not trust a major lubricant company to provide you with a fully formulated and balanced product that's fully tested in a multi million dollar R&D facility.....

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
On a similar note. When you go for a beer with your buddy. Do you ever ask for a beer half made of Bud and half of Miller beer. No ? ..... No I don't either because it will be pretty crap stuff and not worth the effort. Why would you not trust a major lubricant company to provide you with a fully formulated and balanced product that's fully tested in a multi million dollar R&D facility.....
I guess you've never had a Black and Tan then! lol
Bish

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have had good luck (UOA) with 1/2 Castrol 10W-60 and 1/2 Mobil1 0W-40.

But since getting my second oil cooler installed and seeing max oil temps drop from 270 down to 220 - 230F range I may switch to a 1-2 qt 10W-60 and 4-5 qt 0W-40 for summer track days. And then go back to straight 0W-40 for the winter time.

I need to send my latest sample of the 1/2 and 1/2 mix off now that it has a couple of track days on it with the lower oil temps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention search on shawnhayes as I would classify him as the resident expert on oil for the GTR out of sheer experience, experimentation, and testing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had good luck (UOA) with 1/2 Castrol 10W-60 and 1/2 Mobil1 0W-40.

But since getting my second oil cooler installed and seeing max oil temps drop from 270 down to 220 - 230F range I may switch to a 1-2 qt 10W-60 and 4-5 qt 0W-40 for summer track days. And then go back to straight 0W-40 for the winter time.

I need to send my latest sample of the 1/2 and 1/2 mix off now that it has a couple of track days on it with the lower oil temps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention search on shawnhayes as I would classify him as the resident expert on oil for the GTR out of sheer experience, experimentation, and testing.
What is your secondary oil cooler? It seems to work quite well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Film strength is more important than operating viscosity. But that gets lost / overlooked in the discussions.

With today's synthetic bases and additives, one can't outright say that a SAE50 weight oil has a better film strength than a SAE40, that's a fallacy in itself. Going for heavier weight isn't always the best avenue.
Is there any evidence out there that any other oils or mixtures of various brands and viscosity better than Mobil1 0W40 for which the engine was designed, for track use only? I am a scientist so I need to be convinced with evidence...lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. Now we are getting somewhere...!! I talked to Mobil 1 rep on the phone. Mixing oils is NOT recommended because each has different additives and the mixture will lose the quality of the additives. He recommended Mobil1 0W50 Racing oil which has more zinc content. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2
Product datasheet here: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_0W-50.aspx
Break down temperature exceeds 400F.
However, it is not recommended for street use in a car with catalytic converter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Motul makes a 0W40 and a 5W40 and a 10W40. I would think mixing oils is a bad idea, because as stated, they all use different additives and detergents etc in them. Best to stick with one I would think. Motul is very expensive, and you can not just go out and buy it at walmart or pep boys. But they do nothing but racing oils and people swear by it. For the 370z it's recommended because it has the esther core, and it's the only racing oil I know of that comes in 5W30(370z spec) that is esther based. There is only one place in SoCal that I know of that carries it though.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
That's blind logic to say mixing is bad. More details would be helpful. The fact is Mobil 1 0w-40 is recommended for street driven GT-Rs and from what I have read it isn't the best oil on a heavily raced or tracked GT-R. I'd like to see some data showing this but also some data showing mixing is bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Couldn't find anything definitive that said mixing bran to brand is bad, although most of the site Moibl,chevron,etc seem to recommend against crossing brands. They all seem to agree though mixing weights from the same mfgr. is perfectly fine.

This is slightly out of context because the FAQ was asking if it was OK to mix synthetic and regular, but take it for what it's worth:

Mobil1 Answer:
In general, oils should be compatible with each other. It is not likely that you would form gel by mixing the two oils. However, we would not recommend mixing oils as a general practice because oils are complex mixtures of additives and base oils that can be destabilized.

If you are tracking the car alot, you probably want to use a real racing oil like Motul or Torco or Redline. Most of the heavy boost guys I know say the 0W40 burns very fast and that is the major difference between a premium synthethic like Mobil1 and a true racing oil.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yep you can mix engine oils in a tractor / truck but its not a very good idea........ if it was that good an idea someone at corporate level would have done it and marketed it to you ................. I worked for 17 years in sales for a a major lube company that you would very much recognize . The R&D (read $) that goes into these products is VAST. Why? Because there's incredible stress put on the lube that's there to protect your engine / transmission & dive train. Why would you want to "wing it" with some half baked idea ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been using Motul in mine since I bought the car new back in 2010. My car has 20K+ track miles. Sharif has used 300V 50W and more recently switched to 60W. Car is track use only at HPDE events at Road Atlanta, Barber, VIR, Sebring, etc. Just look at the CHIN Motorsports schedule and that's what the car sees every year (southeast tracks).

Attahced is the recent blackstone analysis. Any questions you can call Sharif at the shop since I am not an oil guy, but the analysis seems to be quite good in my opinion. The car is on the stock motor with Sharif's inlets/intakes and his track tune (490whp @16lb boost). We change the oil every 2-3 track days on average depending upon track visited and Sharif's maintenance schedule (he picks the maintenance schedule on the car, always has since day one).

The car is on track an average of one weekend per month (24-30 days per year),... 35K miles total on the car with around 22K of those being track miles.

~paul

Attachments

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have a few blackstone analyses of my engine oil add well including Mobil 1 only mixtures and Mobil 1 plus motul and these include extended use plus track duty. All had very positive results. They are on the forum but I will look for them later and post

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.