Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
View attachment 20676 Installed...
1) Bel STi-R remote radar/laser detector ($950 from Tauran, www.Needfultoyz.com)
2) Laser Interceptor 2 head jammer and laser parking aid ($700 from Cliff, www.laser-interceptorusa.com)

Purpose: maximum stealth w/out sacraficing performance and minimal cutting/drilling.

Time: 2-4 hrs, patience needed, especially when mounting the jammer heads.

laser Receiver Mounting: I decided to mount jammer heads outside the grill, w/ the outer edge flush w/ front upper fashia, for maximum performance, since they have to recieve a narrow laser signal and fireback. Thus max performance w/ no grill cutting. They are slim black units and barely noticeable at all, unless you are very close and looking. (Of course if you live in state where laser jammers are illegal, you may want to mount them inside the grill, and cut grill to expose, or put them down in the lower fashia holes, that duct to the brakes, slightly recessed. But, both of these options will reduce effectiveness.)

I mounted radar receiver (EDIt:) behind the grill but protruding through it, because after a week behind the grill I noticed my KA reception was bad. (note I later found out my receiver was bad and had it fixed). The best place seemed to be just to the driver side of car center, where there is a high spot. Once I got the mount location determined, I cut a small rectange, the size of the receiver, in the grill. I slid the receiver forward throught the hole, such that it is now sticking out of the grill about 2". The receiver is near flush w/ the overhand above. You can see the behind grill mount below in my original pic, and a new pic has been added w/ the through grill mount]
STi MOUNTING TIP: I preferred to mount the STi receiver at the top of the grill, so it would be less exposed to the eye, as the overhang hides it. A good pair of scissors will cut the grill. I used 1 and 1/2" #12 sheet metal screws, w/ 1" spacers on the screws to elevate the back end of the receiver. The grill becomes the support for the front of the receiver.

As you can see from the 4ft. back pic, the 3 receivers all but disappear into the grill of the car.

Trickiest part 1: getting the jammer heads into the very corners of the grill opening and still be able to run screws into them...the bumper gets in the way.
Solution: a) Drill a small hole first, then run the screws in w/ a small socket or driver bit held by a small vice grip. b) Add a small amount of expoxy to the screws increasing the hold considerably, since it's plastic and not metal your screwing into.

Trickist part 2: mounting radar receiver level.
Solution: use the plate the Bel Sti-R came with and use it upside down, to create elevation. If place it left or right of grill's center about 5 inches, with the small plate piece down and toward the engine, the longer plate piece will create a perfect surface to mount the reciever level and right agains the grill. Use the back set of mounting holes, toward the engine, and mount the Bel receiver to the metal plate, and then mount the plate to the car. 2 screws or exposy will work to secure plate to the car.

Other tips: a) to run wires to passenger cabin, either cut a slit at the top of the existing rubber wire gromet (from inside the brake fliud compartment) or use the small hole filled w/ a small gromet just to the left of this larger gromet.

b) remove the plastic trim from around the brake fluid compartment for running wires from grill to cabin.
c) get fuse jumpers from advanced auto parts or other (i.e. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/miatmfua.html)

Install Steps:
1) mount radar receiver and 2 jammer heads, using tricks discussed above. Level and straight are very important, especially for the laser jammer. Note, outer most side of jammer head will be flush w/ fashia above, but inner part of jammer head will be recessed a bit, due to curvature of car front. This is how it must be done for the heads to be straightforward to the road.
(TIP: I used a flat board positioned to lean across the front of the car. I ensured each side of the board was exactly the same distance to the car bumer. Meaning the board was flush to the car front. I then measured both sides of each jammer head to the board, which should all be exactly the same, and marked the drill holes. )

2) run the receiver wires, using zip ties, up the drivers side of the car.

3) run wires through a gromet in the brake fluid compartment.
TRICK: tape the ends of the wires to wire hanger and use the hanger to pull the wires through the gromet.

4) mount both the laser and radar processor units anywhere under the driving area, near the fuse box. I chose the flat plastic in the drivers foot area. I used 3M tacky tape to adhere the units to the plastic. This allows seamless removal later. You could also mount them on the inside of the lower dash panel, if desired. I like to be able to access them easily. Keep in mind the pictures are from below, so the processors are not visible unless you are outside the car, on your knees.

5) run the reciever wires from the gromet and connect to control units. use zip ties to secure excess.

6) run the ground and 12v wires from the units. There is a nice brace for a ground about 8 inches above the fuse box. Use the fuse jumpers to connect the 12v to the fuse box. Use 1 jumper for each 12V. These units draw enought to need their own unique fuses.

Note for the next few steps the lower part of the dash (under the steering wheel) is held only by plastic clips and can be carefully pulled loose to make mounting and wire running easier.

7) Run wires for radar control switch and screen under steering wheel (where steering wheel adjustment switches are) to control box. Mount the radar control switch just behind + paddle shifter, using the provided tacky tape. I like it here, as it is quite easy to drop 1 finger back to it while still holding the steering wheel, in a normal driving position, and quickly tap the mute button.

8) Mount the radar screen on the dash next to the RPM/MPH gauges, using provided tacky tape. I choose this spot, so I can monitor the radar urgency and my speed simultaneously.

9) Tighten up and tuck in extra wires from 7 & 8 making sure they are away from all moving parts. Use zip ties to secure. Connect the ends of the wires to the control box.

10) mount laser jammer on switch. I choose to drill a small hole under and to right of the steering column, out of sight. Run the switch to the control unit. Tuck and secure the excess wire.

11) Place the external speaker for the STI-R. I choose not to mount it, but merely tuck it into the space just above the fuse panel. It will wedge there nicely, and is loud enought to be heard even at high stereo volumes. Run the speaker plug over to the control unit. Zip tie up the loose wires.

DONE! Now, Go find a radar and laser source, and test system.

Pics to come.

Obviously, feel free to ask quesitons as it seems intuitive now that I've done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
View attachment 20676 Installed...
1) Bel STi-R remote radar/laser detector ($950 from Tauran, www.Needfultoyz.com)
2) Laser Interceptor 2 head jammer and laser parking aid ($700 from Cliff, www.laser-interceptorusa.com)

Purpose: maximum stealth w/out sacraficing performance and minimal cutting/drilling.

Time: 2-4 hrs, patience needed, especially when mounting the jammer heads.

laser Receiver Mounting: I decided to mount jammer heads outside the grill, w/ the outer edge flush w/ front upper fashia, for maximum performance, since they have to recieve a narrow laser signal and fireback. Thus max performance w/ no grill cutting. They are slim black units and barely noticeable at all, unless you are very close and looking. (Of course if you live in state where laser jammers are illegal, you may want to mount them inside the grill, and cut grill to expose, or put them down in the lower fashia holes, that duct to the brakes, slightly recessed. But, both of these options will reduce effectiveness.)

I mounted radar receiver (EDIt:) behind the grill but protruding through it, because after a week behind the grill I noticed my KA reception was bad. (note I later found out my receiver was bad and had it fixed). The best place seemed to be just to the driver side of car center, where there is a high spot. Once I got the mount location determined, I cut a small rectange, the size of the receiver, in the grill. I slid the receiver forward throught the hole, such that it is now sticking out of the grill about 2". The receiver is near flush w/ the overhand above. You can see the behind grill mount below in my original pic, and a new pic has been added w/ the through grill mount]
STi MOUNTING TIP: I preferred to mount the STi receiver at the top of the grill, so it would be less exposed to the eye, as the overhang hides it. A good pair of scissors will cut the grill. I used 1 and 1/2" #12 sheet metal screws, w/ 1" spacers on the screws to elevate the back end of the receiver. The grill becomes the support for the front of the receiver.

As you can see from the 4ft. back pic, the 3 receivers all but disappear into the grill of the car.

Trickiest part 1: getting the jammer heads into the very corners of the grill opening and still be able to run screws into them...the bumper gets in the way.
Solution: a) Drill a small hole first, then run the screws in w/ a small socket or driver bit held by a small vice grip. b) Add a small amount of expoxy to the screws increasing the hold considerably, since it's plastic and not metal your screwing into.

Trickist part 2: mounting radar receiver level.
Solution: use the plate the Bel Sti-R came with and use it upside down, to create elevation. If place it left or right of grill's center about 5 inches, with the small plate piece down and toward the engine, the longer plate piece will create a perfect surface to mount the reciever level and right agains the grill. Use the back set of mounting holes, toward the engine, and mount the Bel receiver to the metal plate, and then mount the plate to the car. 2 screws or exposy will work to secure plate to the car.

Other tips: a) to run wires to passenger cabin, either cut a slit at the top of the existing rubber wire gromet (from inside the brake fliud compartment) or use the small hole filled w/ a small gromet just to the left of this larger gromet.

b) remove the plastic trim from around the brake fluid compartment for running wires from grill to cabin.
c) get fuse jumpers from advanced auto parts or other (i.e. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/miatmfua.html)

Install Steps:
1) mount radar receiver and 2 jammer heads, using tricks discussed above. Level and straight are very important, especially for the laser jammer. Note, outer most side of jammer head will be flush w/ fashia above, but inner part of jammer head will be recessed a bit, due to curvature of car front. This is how it must be done for the heads to be straightforward to the road.
(TIP: I used a flat board positioned to lean across the front of the car. I ensured each side of the board was exactly the same distance to the car bumer. Meaning the board was flush to the car front. I then measured both sides of each jammer head to the board, which should all be exactly the same, and marked the drill holes. )

2) run the receiver wires, using zip ties, up the drivers side of the car.

3) run wires through a gromet in the brake fluid compartment.
TRICK: tape the ends of the wires to wire hanger and use the hanger to pull the wires through the gromet.

4) mount both the laser and radar processor units anywhere under the driving area, near the fuse box. I chose the flat plastic in the drivers foot area. I used 3M tacky tape to adhere the units to the plastic. This allows seamless removal later. You could also mount them on the inside of the lower dash panel, if desired. I like to be able to access them easily. Keep in mind the pictures are from below, so the processors are not visible unless you are outside the car, on your knees.

5) run the reciever wires from the gromet and connect to control units. use zip ties to secure excess.

6) run the ground and 12v wires from the units. There is a nice brace for a ground about 8 inches above the fuse box. Use the fuse jumpers to connect the 12v to the fuse box. Use 1 jumper for each 12V. These units draw enought to need their own unique fuses.

Note for the next few steps the lower part of the dash (under the steering wheel) is held only by plastic clips and can be carefully pulled loose to make mounting and wire running easier.

7) Run wires for radar control switch and screen under steering wheel (where steering wheel adjustment switches are) to control box. Mount the radar control switch just behind + paddle shifter, using the provided tacky tape. I like it here, as it is quite easy to drop 1 finger back to it while still holding the steering wheel, in a normal driving position, and quickly tap the mute button.

8) Mount the radar screen on the dash next to the RPM/MPH gauges, using provided tacky tape. I choose this spot, so I can monitor the radar urgency and my speed simultaneously.

9) Tighten up and tuck in extra wires from 7 & 8 making sure they are away from all moving parts. Use zip ties to secure. Connect the ends of the wires to the control box.

10) mount laser jammer on switch. I choose to drill a small hole under and to right of the steering column, out of sight. Run the switch to the control unit. Tuck and secure the excess wire.

11) Place the external speaker for the STI-R. I choose not to mount it, but merely tuck it into the space just above the fuse panel. It will wedge there nicely, and is loud enought to be heard even at high stereo volumes. Run the speaker plug over to the control unit. Zip tie up the loose wires.

DONE! Now, Go find a radar and laser source, and test system.

Pics to come.

Obviously, feel free to ask quesitons as it seems intuitive now that I've done it.
our cars use LOW PROFILE Mini fuses. How did you get the fuse jumper to plug into the slots in the gtr fusebox?
The link you provided is for a regular mini fuse jumper. How did you make it fit?

·
Registered
788 Posts
So will the Mini Fuse Adapter listed, WORK with our GTR fuses or are ours "micro fuses" that need some even SMALLER Fuse Adapter than this?
Thanks for writeup!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.