Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I've sorta been lurking this site for a while since back when it was nagtroc and am now the proud owner of a 2012 White BE in western Canada. I've followed development and media of the car closely over the years and decided to take on mizuno san's claim that this is an everyday super car that can be enjoyed in winter as it is in the summer.
Yes, I've got the Bridgestone blizzaks already on but have been pondering some of the potential dumps of snow we get (quite infrequently) where I live.
I am aware that there are tutorials on how to DIY remove the rear diffuser, front lip/tray and side skirts on this site so I am not asking about that.
I am wondering if anyone drives around without these pieces on, particularly for winter. Besides the aero performance decrease, which isn't detrimental for daily winter driving so much, what other concerns could there be for driving around without these pieces on the car? Obviously the main reason for this would be to give the car a couple inches of additional clearance all around and also preserve the condition of the pieces. My car is completely stock and I live in the city, so I am sure clearance won't be an issue unless there is a massive snow storm. Even then, roads where I drive will get plowed before I even get to them.

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

· Vendor
2,764 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new to you GTR.

I assume there will be lots of salt on the roads where you live too? If it were my car I'd keep everything in place. Aside from aerodynamic benefits, the front undertray, and rear diffuser are going to shield everything else from the salt and snow, and help reduce the amount of corrosion underneath.

· Knowledge is recession proof!
4,169 Posts
I'd leave the GTR in the garage for the winter and buy a daily beater that's good in inclement weather. While the GTR can drive fairly well in moderate snow, I have and wouldn't do it again. The salt alone is reason enough to keep her garaged in the winter.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Where I live, salt isn't the prevalent material used for snow. There are a lot of rocks and some sand however. Regardless I would always give the car and undercarriage a good spray every week. My biggest concern is more so clearance than it is the salt.
Never thought about clear bra'ing the bottom. I could look into that. It seems that the general consensus is that undercoating is not worth it or it doesn't do anything..

· Knowledge is recession proof!
4,169 Posts
Monster not everyone want a garage queen. Lol

Just power wash underneath car every once in a while gtr will do good in snow

Sent from my SM-G920T using GT-R Life mobile app
Having completely torn down and built my GTR, washing the under side intermittently will not protect the car from the salt. I'm talking rust city. A lot of work went into the car to address the issues of winter driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.