Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that live in or around these areas, I've just started designing my itinerary for picking up my GTR.

Thursday 9/10 - El Paso to San Antonio
Friday 9/11 - San Antonio/Austin to Houston
Saturday 9/12 - Houston to New Orleans
Sunday 9/13 - Back to Maryland

Besides the River walk in San Antonio, what else should I make sure to see. I plan to go to Bourbon St and get a little drunk (will not drive the GTR of course) ... anything I' missing locals? I will post a few pics throughout the trip also.

·
Registered
245 Posts
6th St in Austin is a similar atmosphere to Bourbon St. if you are looking to go out and get a little (read a lot!) drunk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Women

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
For those of you that live in or around these areas, I've just started designing my itinerary for picking up my GTR.

Thursday 9/10 - El Paso to San Antonio
Friday 9/11 - San Antonio/Austin to Houston
Saturday 9/12 - Houston to New Orleans
Sunday 9/13 - Back to Maryland

Besides the River walk in San Antonio, what else should I make sure to see. I plan to go to Bourbon St and get a little drunk (will not drive the GTR of course) ... anything I' missing locals? I will post a few pics throughout the trip also.
EL Paso to San Antonio.

FYI there is a serious hard core border enforcement inspection point on the I-10 100miles east of elpaso. If your car has paper plates make sure you have all of your documents when passing through it

Speed limit out this way is 80mph - FYI do not go 90 you will get pulled over.

A- fuel up in Love's Travel Stop, Van Horn, TX

B - FT. Stockton

C- Junction, TX

DPS - TX Highway Patrol - will do fly up's from behind you when least expect it - and line of sight if you see a pick up truck sitting in the middle of the interstate its a Sheriff doing lidar traps.

San Antonio Tx ~ Houston I-10 stop at buckees fuel stop - lol funny place but if your traveling this at night - there are speed traps all along this section at night do not speed and I was pulled over for going 66 in a 65. Yup that strict.

East of Houston and east of Beaumount Tx, I-10 you will be passing a lot of refiners there and the oil smell is really really bad I'd suggest you bring a towel to deal with covering your nose. it can get really bad at night.............

going east on I10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge there is a bridge where they have a strict speed limit..................... State police patrol that up and down..... also State police have un-marked cars and trucks as well. FYI

now New Orleans. - do not go anywhere near Armstrong Park/anything east of french Market :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Valet park the GT-R at the Hotel and use taxi to get around. When I mean Valet park the car and keep the key so the car does not get moved or touched.

Food :
Mothers...........................
camellia grill new orleans
Johnny's Po Boys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shrimp-po-boy
Crawfish
Cafe Du Monde
Paul Proudhon's - if you can get in................

Walk around the french quarter
Bourbon Street
St. Louis Cathedral
st charles place street cars

Hotel to stay at - Four Seasons or Royal Orleans

Just know do not stray from the main areas and read up on security protocols for keeping safe in New Orleans.

Leaving New Orleans - drive the longest bridge in the world - lake pontchartrain causeway................

head north to TN, Memphis - head to Nissan HQ in Franklin TN do some burn outs in their parking lot j/k.............................

If you don't want to deal with that - fly out put your car on an enclosed transporter and Fly to New Orleans.................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since GT-Rs are made for driving, leave I-10 at Kerrville and take Texas Highway 16 through Medina and Bandera on to San Antonio. You will think you are in Colorado and it and other state roads south of Kerrvillwe are some of the best driving I have found in the US. I spent 4 days there in June just driving the curves and am going back in November. Happy motoring. By the way during those 4 days I never saw a single police officer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of this info.

Can you tell me where the border patrol stop is on 10 so I can try to avoid that? I'm not sure how the whole tag thing is going to go

EL Paso to San Antonio.

FYI there is a serious hard core border enforcement inspection point on the I-10 100miles east of elpaso. If your car has paper plates make sure you have all of your documents when passing through it

Speed limit out this way is 80mph - FYI do not go 90 you will get pulled over.

A- fuel up in Love's Travel Stop, Van Horn, TX

B - FT. Stockton

C- Junction, TX

DPS - TX Highway Patrol - will do fly up's from behind you when least expect it - and line of sight if you see a pick up truck sitting in the middle of the interstate its a Sheriff doing lidar traps.

San Antonio Tx ~ Houston I-10 stop at buckees fuel stop - lol funny place but if your traveling this at night - there are speed traps all along this section at night do not speed and I was pulled over for going 66 in a 65. Yup that strict.

East of Houston and east of Beaumount Tx, I-10 you will be passing a lot of refiners there and the oil smell is really really bad I'd suggest you bring a towel to deal with covering your nose. it can get really bad at night.............

going east on I10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge there is a bridge where they have a strict speed limit..................... State police patrol that up and down..... also State police have un-marked cars and trucks as well. FYI

now New Orleans. - do not go anywhere near Armstrong Park/anything east of french Market :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Valet park the GT-R at the Hotel and use taxi to get around. When I mean Valet park the car and keep the key so the car does not get moved or touched.

Food :
Mothers...........................
camellia grill new orleans
Johnny's Po Boys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shrimp-po-boy
Crawfish
Cafe Du Monde
Paul Proudhon's - if you can get in................

Walk around the french quarter
Bourbon Street
St. Louis Cathedral
st charles place street cars

Hotel to stay at - Four Seasons or Royal Orleans

Just know do not stray from the main areas and read up on security protocols for keeping safe in New Orleans.

Leaving New Orleans - drive the longest bridge in the world - lake pontchartrain causeway................

head north to TN, Memphis - head to Nissan HQ in Franklin TN do some burn outs in their parking lot j/k.............................

If you don't want to deal with that - fly out put your car on an enclosed transporter and Fly to New Orleans.................

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since GT-Rs are made for driving, leave I-10 at Kerrville and take Texas Highway 16 through Medina and Bandera on to San Antonio. You will think you are in Colorado and it and other state roads south of Kerrvillwe are some of the best driving I have found in the US. I spent 4 days there in June just driving the curves and am going back in November. Happy motoring. By the way during those 4 days I never saw a single police officer.
+100000 The roads down there are amazing. I spent 3 days this summer driving around the roads. The best one in my opinion is a stretch of road between Leakey and Vanderpool, it's absolutely amazing. It's Ranch Road 337, it's part of a series called "The Twisted Sisters." If you want to do some driving, it's the best I've experience outside of the mountains in Colorado, it's about equivalent to some of the canyon roads in Cali off of the coast.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to make this a father son trip, so I'm flying my dad out with me. That being said I don't want him wanting to puke if I take those roads, what do you all think?

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you have the time, there is some GREAT BBQ in the Austin area. Look up Franklin's BBQ or Salt Lick BBQ. Salt Lick is a little out of the way and the line at Franklin's is usually absurd. There are plenty of BBQ places if that's your thing, just take a look on Yelp. Also, my favorite shrimp po' boy in New Orleans is at Parkway Bakery and Tavern, just outside downtown.

Someone else already touched on the nice roads to drive on. Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A few ideas on NOLA: If you are a foodie, there is an excellent Cajun restaurant on Oak St. in Uptown called Jacques Imo's. If you are into live music, head to Frenchman St., just east of the Quarter. Both are a bit off the beaten path if you're looking to get away from the 'other' tourists.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have lived in San Antonio, NOLA, and now the Houston area. Agree with the state trooper warnings above, especially the bridge between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Slow down even with a radar.

The roads around the middle section of Texas are fantastic. If you are an enthusiast seek roads off I 10.

Have fun. Great trip you are embarking on in a fantastic car

·
Registered
500 Posts
I decided to make this a father son trip, so I'm flying my dad out with me. That being said I don't want him wanting to puke if I take those roads, what do you all think?
They're great to cruise on, don't have to bang through gears, although it is enjoyable

The roads are pretty scenic at spots, lots of elevations changes and beautiful valley's, I've been 4 separate times and the roads are usually pretty deserted with the exception of the occasional car or motorcycle, which can be fun with passing lanes. I have a couple decent GoPro videos if you'd like to PM me and I can text them to you, although video really doesn't do it justice

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Thank you for all of this info.

Can you tell me where the border patrol stop is on 10 so I can try to avoid that? I'm not sure how the whole tag thing is going to go
you cant. sorry. there is every type of K9 sniffing dogs there as well really crazy seen people ripped out of their cars for no reason. you should have no problems just have all of your papers there. Going west into New Mexico there is a speed trap right before the inspection spot so it goes from 65mph to 35mph in 500 ft...

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Save it for the track and spend the time in New Orleans. Just make sure you take I-40 back through the Blue Ridge mtn's back to South Carolina..............and back north.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
A few ideas on NOLA: If you are a foodie, there is an excellent Cajun restaurant on Oak St. in Uptown called Jacques Imo's. If you are into live music, head to Frenchman St., just east of the Quarter. Both are a bit off the beaten path if you're looking to get away from the 'other' tourists.
East of French Market - do not go there...........and anything near Armstrong park...................

·
Registered
619 Posts
6th street in Austin FOR SURE

San A --- ... you should do the river walk / have some drinks / cruise along there. really neat.

also... maybe the alemo? or whatever it is called

1 - 20 of 20 Posts