Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a great road trip to VIR! We had a great time, went with my brother in his 911 black edition, my dad and his ZR1, and my '12 R35. It was a great trip and I highly recomend it to anyone living in the midwest. I have attached some crappy (iphone) pictures below, I'll try to get some better ones up. We are all based in Illinois so we started out from there last Wednesday and headed to Nashville for the night, got a nice meal and hit up the strip. From there we headed down to the tail of the dragon the next morning. It was alot of fun pushing the GT-R through all those curves! I'm glad we weren't there on a weekend, I can't imagine how crowded that road is then. After the Dragon we headed down to Cherokee to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway (we had a quick stop for karts in Cherokee, the three story spiral was a blast! BRP was just a beautiful and fun road to drive our cars on, it wasn't too crowded and just beautiful! We stayed that night, Thursday, in Asheville. I had never been to Asheville before, but really enjoyed it. Got some good Cajun food and beer, hit up the Early Girl Eatery the next morning and headed out to VIR continuing on the BRP. BRP was a little bit more mundane after our lunch stop in Blowing Rock, but none the less still beautiful. We reached VIR about 6:30 Friday evening and headed straight to the Paddock to check in. This was our first time on a track and we had a great time. We got on the track through Trackdaze and they were fantastic. We only had time to do Saturday, so I wish I would have been able to stay the full two days. But if anyone is thinking about doing an event with Trackdaze I would highly recomend it. Since we were in the novice group we all had instructors (thank God!). My instructor turned out to be someone I think several of you on the forum may know of, Jack Baruth. Jack was great and he certainly made my first experience on the track less daunting and more comfortable. I couldn't recomend a better person to take you through the paces and give advice/instruction on the track. If you are relatively green going on a track and Jack is there and available as an instructor I would definetly ask for him. We had 4 half hour sessions and just as I was starting comfortable the day was over (shoulda stayed for that second day!). The worst part of the trip was yesterday where we had about a 13 hour trip back to Illinois, but I was grinning the whole time since I was in my GT-R! Can't wait to get back on the track soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The zr1 ran the fast lap at 2:24... My quickest was 2:28. Most of our laps were in the 2:30's. The 911 ran in the upper 2:40's.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
It also means that your dad is a better driver... :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, he may have me beat... The zr1 is definitely a little bit more difficult handle, it's a beast. For my first time ever on a track I was happy with how it went. There is definitely a lot to learn! Our overall times averaged out about the same, but he got me on the fast lap!

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
Nice... What config of VIR? Full? Grand? North?

I did track daze about 3 weeks ago and run with the again in 3 weeks at summit point... Great organization, quite enjoy them.. I like the data tags they provide for $20

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We ran the full course, which was perfect for me as a newbie.  Yeah we were going to try to set it up with your event this year, but the days didn't line up well for us.  We are definetly going to have to do this again next year, so hopefully we can arrange it to work with your track date.  I was the only GT-R out there last weekend, so it would be cool to see a few more out there!

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Wow man that sounds like an awesome trip! We were just at VIR weekend before last, and i'm going again in two weeks! I love that course!

Let us know next time you guys plan a road trip out to the east coast we could set up some stuff for you!

Glad you are enjoying the GT-R, and it's cool your family is all into the sport!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts