Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new rotors for street and track use. I need to sort out which are the best units, independent of cost.

The top three brands are AP, Alcon and PFC. My concerns would be build quality (i.e. runout and overall quality), durability, performance (i.e. cooling) and weight reduction.

The APs are popular but other than being a well-respected brand and well-marketed by North American vendors I can't see why the would be the top choice, beyond their lower cost. Unless the stock rotor hats with their McLaren-style mounting hardware is really superior to the other designs I think it is a negative that new hats aren't included.

Alcon is also a very well-respected brand, plus size-for-size they are lighter than the stock rotors and include new hats. They are also available in 400mm which is very nice. Why not go bigger unless you want to run 18" wheels?

PFC is a very serious brake company and their rotors have proven to be top-notch in the BMW and Porsche race circles, however they are stock size and likely approx stock weight. Their dimpled face might induce less brake noise and the slotted or J-hook designs do.

So what is a GT-R owner to do

·
brakecheckd
99 Posts
If the choices were those 3, then of those 3, Run AP disks because under the hardest braking applications, AP's are the most proven, and are the most durable. GT-Rs are not easy on brakes, do not skimp on brakes and you want the disks that can offer the best (AP, or if money is no option, Endless is an option too).

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
My PFC rotors last and last and last on track. Tons of small crazing after tons of laps, but no major cracks. Best rotors I've ever run on track. They weigh less than stock. They come with hats. The rotor rings are cheaper than any of the other top brands (haven't had to use my spare ones yet). So higher initial cost because they come with hats, but long term cheaper. I use them on the street and track. I thought I would change back and forth between OEM and PFC's, but that proved to be unnecessary.

As for performance in terms of cooling, no one has ever shown that any rotors run cooler than any others on a GT-R. So I would just assume they are all the same until someone shows a chart of temps for one rotor vs another. Hasn't happened yet.

And all the other brands you mention are good. Just buy any of them. Build quality is not an issue with any of them. I wouldn't worry myself about that. The main thing you want is durability at the very high heat GT-R rotors are exposed to, and that comes down to metallurgy and fabrication process, which you will not be able to compare as manufacturers keep that info private. Warm them up slowly, cool them, minimize thermal shock, and they will last longer. I think people have been happy with all of the top racing rotor brands.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
I agree with Descartesfool and NickTO. Personally, I have run the PFC rotors and pads for the last two seasons and just replaced my rotors after numerous track days and street miles over the past two years. All 3 options are quality rotors. Just have to decide which brand best meets your goals.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
The APs are popular but other than being a well-respected brand and well-marketed by North American vendors I can't see why the would be the top choice, beyond their lower cost. Unless the stock rotor hats with their McLaren-style mounting hardware is really superior to the other designs I think it is a negative that new hats aren't included.
So what is a GT-R owner to do
AP's have been used by owners on this board for several years now. We generally see customers get 3-4-5 times as many track days out of a set of rotors as they will a set of stock rotors. They last, they stand up to abuse. The GT-R is a big heavy car, and puts a lot of heat into the brakes.

As far as why they don't come with new hats, the hat itself is reused in the racing world, and in this case, if its not broken or damaged, why fix it. Not very many OEM cars have a two piece rotor, so reusing the stock hat would generally not be an option. While it is possible to re-engineer the wheel, sometimes it just doesn't make sense. In this case, the rotors had an OEM aluminum hat in the front and cast in the rear, and to keep the costs lower, it was decided to reuse the stock hat rather than make an all new hat. We can, and we do make new hats for other AP kits, but not in this case.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Rear hat is not aluminum, but cast steel because it has to withstand the rigors of the parking brake's drum brake design. Easy to machine aluminum hats, not so easy to cast and machine steel hats for the rear brakes.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Rear hat is not aluminum, but cast steel because it has to withstand the rigors of the parking brake's drum brake design. Easy to machine aluminum hats, not so easy to cast and machine steel hats for the rear brakes.
That is true. I forget about the rear brakes. The CCM's have a cast rear hat on them. We have done cast rear hats, and aluminum rear hats on the 350/G35/370/G37 rear brake kits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All you have mentioned are great.

Cost no object though?

AP CCM's. Greatest rotor ever. I'll have trouble missing the CCM's if I ever have to go back to steel brakes.

Shawn
This is pretty much what I thought. All three are great and there is very little technical info to separate them. Having said that the Alcons are the biggest at 400mm and likely the lightest so unless someone has a solid reason to dispute it I have to conclude that the Alcons are the best option for me. No affiliation, yada, yada. I am surprised that the majority of forum members are on APs. The PFCs are nice because they are US made!

The CCMs are very cool and I love that they save a bunch of unsprung weight but since I am not a huge fan of factory-installed ceramic discs I will stay away from these for the time being. Cost is also a bit of a factor for me once the discs creep over $3k/corner ;)

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cars come with rear emergency drum brake (including GT-R) must have "cast iron" hat (drum), however most aftermarket "performance" brake companies offer aluminum hats for their two piece rotors due to aluminum hats are much easier/low costs to make like you said.

But only very few responsible companies disclose that their e-brake must be deleted when "aluminum hat" two piece rotors are installed, thus put consumers (street or track) without even the awareness that they are operating a very unsafe vehicle.

I still believe safety should be the priority in brake design and offer which shall never be compromised.

Warren-RB

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
But only very few responsible companies disclose that their e-brake must be deleted when "aluminum hat" two piece rotors are installed, thus put consumers (street or track) without even the awareness that they are operating a very unsafe vehicle.
Ever see aluminum brake drums? I have a set of them on my Syclone. Had a set on my Grand National. GM produced them for some cars as a weight savings measure.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ever see aluminum brake drums? I have a set of them on my Syclone. Had a set on my Grand National. GM produced them for some cars as a weight savings measure.
Are they stock cars?, the concern here is the modifications to stock cars for general consumers like rear rotors for GT-R, not specially built vehicles with specific purpose. For example we dealt with rally racers (EVO8) and were specifically requested to make aluminum hats for their rear rotors because they added their own auxiliary brakes. Or if it's a dedicated built car as long as the drivers/consumers are made aware of.

The consumers can be easily misled by a brake supplier to cite their credentials on professional racing teams; while the readers/users are non professional (weekend) racers.

There are vast differences between "professional" and "weekend" racers, one of them is the "budget" which is never a concern to a professional racer (sponsorship) and never had to worry about parts cost, their cars are maintained by racing crews, while weekend racers like members here must pay their own and make sure the parts last and perform to their satisfactions.

In my decades of brake experience, weekend racers are more real and much harder to satisfy than those professionals.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I am trying to wrap my head around your concern with the parking brake being on an aluminum hat. Its not used as a primary brake. Its used to hold the car when stopped. I can see someone warping an alumium rear hat, if they come off the track hot and pulling the parking brake. Other than that, I am trying to grasp your major concerns. Maybe I am just missing something.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.