Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone. Need help with knowing what tires won't rub. I've searched and can't find any soild answers.
Running on Volk TE37 20x10 +30, 20x12 +20. Stock suspension. First i went Michelin 295 front and 345 rear. Incounterred rubbing up front going into sweeping turns at higher speeds. 70mph.

Then swaped out the 295 for 285 Michelin up front. Same issue.

What tires are people running on with the Volk wheels? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I am guess your 285 tires put your wheels and tires at about 5-10mm pass the fender. If you are on stock ride height and camber, that's probably why you are rubbing on compression. More camber and/or shorter tire will probably be what you need.

·
choose your destructor
458 Posts
You should be fine with a 285/35/20 up front with those offsets and stock ride height. When was your last alignment and what were your specs? Where exactly are your tires rubbing - the fender or the fender liner? If the latter, are all of he pop rivets and fasteners holding it securely?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see any marks on the fender. So I'm thinking its rubbing on the screw tabs and or liner. I had the car aligned and with -2.0 camber all 4 wheels. One of my friends recommended flattening tabs and remove liner clips or rolling fenders. Don't love the idea of rolling fenders.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've got 285's up front with zero rubbing. Stock ride height and wheels. I've also go the least amount of camber allowed with the stock suspension so the tires wear well. Not sure this helps you at all. What is the difference in offset between what you have and stock wheel?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've got 285's up front with zero rubbing. Stock ride height and wheels. I've also go the least amount of camber allowed with the stock suspension so the tires wear well. Not sure this helps you at all. What is the difference in offset between what you have and stock wheel?
I think this more an issue of offset then tires. 20x10 +30 vs 20x9.5 +45 will extend on outside edge 21mm relative to stock. Advan GT and many other popular front wheels for GT-R with 10” width are +35 giving 5mm more breathing room so 285 is no problem. The rear 12” +20 should be fine.

Volks have a pretty aggressive front offset in my opinion. I know these wheels are common for the GT-R, but so are rubbing issues with them. I recall threads where others with these wheels rubbed holes through the fender liners and in to the turn signal brackets. I suspect many with these wheels are removing fender liner screws and running a lot of negative camber to compensate.

Great looking wheels but sounds like a pain.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
For your wheels compared to OEM,
Front wheel will poke out 21.4mm more which is your problem. Using a wider and tall tire size is only going to reduce clearance which is why 295/35-20 is not a good choice.

What suspension are you using? If OEM then you can only increase front negative camber for more clearance (slight), Whiteline front control arm adjustable bushings help a little (about 0.5 degrees).

If you have fully adjustable suspension then set ride height a little taller for more clearance.

Shaving down bolts or removing those that hit helps.

Reactions: JoelM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this more an issue of offset then tires. 20x10 +30 vs 20x9.5 +45 will extend on outside edge 21mm relative to stock. Advan GT and many other popular front wheels for GT-R with 10” width are +35 giving 5mm more breathing room so 285 is no problem. The rear 12” +20 should be fine.

Volks have a pretty aggressive front offset in my opinion. I know these wheels are common for the GT-R, but so are rubbing issues with them. I recall threads where others with these wheels rubbed holes through the fender liners and in to the turn signal brackets. I suspect many with these wheels are removing fender liner screws and running a lot of negative camber to compensate.

Great looking wheels but sounds like a pain.
I think you're right GTRick. I think it's the offset of +30 that's messing with me. Someone also suggested machining the hub of the wheel down so they would sit more tucked in. Don't love that idea. But it sounds like it could work. I'll see about maybe removing or trying a lower profile fender screws first. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new to the GT-R community and greatly appreciate the advise and ideas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For your wheels compared to OEM,
Front wheel will poke out 21.4mm more which is your problem. Using a wider and tall tire size is only going to reduce clearance which is why 295/35-20 is not a good choice.

What suspension are you using? If OEM then you can only increase front negative camber for more clearance (slight), Whiteline front control arm adjustable bushings help a little (about 0.5 degrees).

If you have fully adjustable suspension then set ride height a little taller for more clearance.

Shaving down bolts or removing those that hit helps.
I'm on stock suspension. I do notice a little difference when I switch from 295 to 285. But as I said still rubbing. From what I've read here on the fourm I should be OK with 285 front and 345 rear. Should be at .7% difference.

I want to enjoy this car in the mountains where I know it shines. I like to drive on Tail of the Dragon here in NC/TN and don't want to worry about rubbing while I'm hitting the twisties.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I want to enjoy this car in the mountains where I know it shines. I like to drive on Tail of the Dragon here in NC/TN and don't want to worry about rubbing while I'm hitting the twisties.
I can certainly understand that. Unencumbered this car really shines on the tail of Tail of the Dragon. That road is a national treasure. It’s still somewhat scarier racing down the mountain side then up but few cars inspire as much confidence. Enjoy.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you're right GTRick. I think it's the offset of +30 that's messing with me. Someone also suggested machining the hub of the wheel down so they would sit more tucked in. Don't love that idea. But it sounds like it could work. I'll see about maybe removing or trying a lower profile fender screws first. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new to the GT-R community and greatly appreciate the advise and ideas.
I doubt that there is much material that you could safely remove from the mounting face of the wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts