Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was advised that running a tune for a different octane will hurt the car? Is that true can someone confirm this?

I'm getting the cobb system from REK125. He had a tune by Sean with AMS catted downpipe and HKS res midpipe and the car was stock but those two mods. The tune got 540hp and 530wtq.
I am getting the same parts for the same tune but I was advised by my installer that if that was tune for lets say 93 octane and Alaska only has 90 octane(Highest octane there is), running that tune will hurt the car and I would need a detune to 90octane.

Can anyone chime in?

Thanks!

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
xoulu -

I'm no pro, but I have heard this many different times from tuners. To be more specific, any time your fuel changes, your tune should change as well. If you have multiple maps (which is what I suggest) you can switch when you have higher octane available. But for now, sounds like you need a new tune at 90 Octane.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as far as Im told theres no good tuners up in AK so what are your suggestions for a detune?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Retune. Even though alaska has cooler air which can help prevent detonation probably enough to compensate for the lack of 3 octane points.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You can get a e-tune, basically you data log, send the logs back to the tuner you choose, and they email you back a custom map for your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts