Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Pew Pew
647 Posts
I have been told that running E85 full time will gunk up injectors and fuel system if used 100% of the time. That it is good to run 93 octane every few tanks to clean things up.

Is this true? Anyone else running E85 full time? If so how long and what issues have you ran into?

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Haven't got to the point where I've had to worry about it firsthand, but there's a lot of documentation here about the sludge created and pre-filter clogging. I know Ben Linney, [email protected] and [email protected] all recommend the occasional pump gas tank to help purge out the gunk and keep injectors clean - saw a pic from Rob's car and it was nasty. I'm also using Lucas E85 conditioner with each tank to help as well. Members Earico and Soccerking have posted in depth on the negative effects from personal experience, which drove their DIYs to combat the issue.

All based on my research on the same topic - didn't make the decision to switch lightly due to the negative aspects, and never would have if the Flex Fuel option was not available.

· Pew Pew
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have run 8000 straight miles on e85. no problems as of yet.
Would be interesting to see pictures of your injectors and manifold.

· Registered
3,713 Posts
E85 straight for last 35000km. FBO and then full build. Injectors perfect in all stages. Current set of 2000cc injectors flow tested perfect.

· Registered
363 Posts
Gyoja and 909, how often do you datalog? Have you noticed any difference in your fuel trims? I think trims should be really high after 35000km on E85, if you're using factory pre and post filters without any fuel additives.

I have driven on E85 only from april this year to now, done about 4000km, and my fuel trims are still ok (about 95% on full throttle) thanks to the Lucas ethanol treatment, without that my fuel trims start to climb almost instantly... any i have almost new pre filters.

· Registered
158 Posts
What is Lucas E85 conditioner?

Haven't got to the point where I've had to worry about it firsthand, but there's a lot of documentation here about the sludge created and pre-filter clogging. I know Ben Linney, [email protected] and [email protected] all recommend the occasional pump gas tank to help purge out the gunk and keep injectors clean - saw a pic from Rob's car and it was nasty. I'm also using Lucas E85 conditioner with each tank to help as well. Members Earico and Soccerking have posted in depth on the negative effects from personal experience, which drove their DIYs to combat the issue.

All based on my research on the same topic - didn't make the decision to switch lightly due to the negative aspects, and never would have if the Flex Fuel option was not available.

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Gyoja and 909, how often do you datalog? Have you noticed any difference in your fuel trims? I think trims should be really high after 35000km on E85, if you're using factory pre and post filters without any fuel additives.

I have driven on E85 only from april this year to now, done about 4000km, and my fuel trims are still ok (about 95% on full throttle) thanks to the Lucas ethanol treatment, without that my fuel trims start to climb almost instantly... any i have almost new pre filters.
When I was FBO flex I data logged at least once a month. Once I got full build last year I did a bunch throughout the year but then went with Ben linney and did a bunch more. My fore triple pump walbros comes with an external filter. The whole system is spotlessly clean.

· Pew Pew
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
3,713 Posts
http://www.jegs.com/i/Lucas-Oil/639/10576-1/10002/-1

Best place to buy it I found. I ordered 5 which got me over $30 total which equals free shipping.

16 ounce bottles each. Each oounce is supposed to treat 5 gallons. So 5 bottles will treat 400 gallons which should last a very long time.
The Lucas e85 additive is excellent. It doesn't not contain the compounds that are assumed to cause that black goo.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Also available at O'Reilly Auto Parts if you just want to get a few bottles locally - that's where I get mine. Sure Auto Zone or other similar places stock it as well.

· R35 member
3,069 Posts
They also make a big bottle. It was around 32 ounces.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

· gta88ws6
834 Posts
Gyoja-

Wouldn't using the lucas injector cleaner with upper cylinder lube be beneficial as well since e85 has only about 1/4 gasoline and additives gas has in it?

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Gyoja-

Wouldn't using the lucas injector cleaner with upper cylinder lube be beneficial as well since e85 has only about 1/4 gasoline and additives gas has in it?
The lucas additive is great. It is PIB free which some believe is the source of potential black goo when using e85 from some stations.

Others like myself have run without it for a long time and have not seen this black goo issue.

· gta88ws6
834 Posts
I've got a big quart size bottle and squeeze about 5oz into my tank right b4 a fill up.

· Front Mount 2500 HP
3,664 Posts
E98 here for the past 2 years no issues - my biggest problem is getting the ethanol is a mission because we don't got E pumps down here so to run that shit I have to order drums in bulk.

· Registered
2,437 Posts
It is not just fuel system that gunks up.
If you disassemble a motor that has run E-85 or better without any fuel treatment for long periods of time , you will see other deposits in valve train etc.
It would be nice for a tuner shop to do real investigation and publish their findings.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.