Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
We knew it was only a matter of time with how hard we were pushing this car. And today was that day.

BUT... at least we set a new record earlier in the day. [email protected]

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27306

At the very end of the day (after I had called it quits) I came up with this great idea...

"Hey, let's do one last run against the stock GT-R and get a cool video shooting directly from behind them..."

Chuck grabbed the camera and off we went...

The video isn't all that exciting, but I think it's the first known broken GT-R tranny caught on video.

* Believe it or not, I'm not all that upset about it. We knew we were going to have to upgrade it eventually, so now it will just happen sooner rather than later.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
First off, Congrats on the record pass today!

The loss of your transmission is regrettable, but the data is of great value, especially given the number of launches the car has seen - and the number at well beyond stock power levels, not to mention the employment of drag radials...

Thank you for sharing all of this with the community!

I look forward to the resurrection!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Unfortunate but its time for an upgrade. Thanks for being the guinea pig for the rest of the community. Congrats on the record pass. I'm waiting to see some pics of the tranny once its opened up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ohh well, someone had to do it! Lets see what the inside of it looks like...

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
John, we are curious. Was there anything different about this particular pass? Did you feel anything different, such as wheel hop, or slippage before it broke?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, we are curious. Was there anything different about this particular pass? Did you feel anything different, such as wheel hop, or slippage before it broke?
Nope. In fact, the car didn't even get a chance to move much. It just started to take off and I just heard tons of metal collisions. I told Chuck it sounded like someone setup a bunch of metal dominoes in a line and Tiger Woods came by and hit them with his driver. Hehe. You could just hear a rapid fire 'clank clank clank' of the gears (most likely) snapping the teeth off.

·
NAGTROC design team
2,827 Posts
Firstly...BIG congrats on the new record.

Sad news to see your car OOC for now, but this has just opened the door for some MAJOR improvements for everyone. The sacrifice of one for the benefit of many.
You're still leading the way John...just in a different direction for now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, this really shows the sacrifices needed to be the first to go this quick. When it let go did the transmission case stay intact? Any shrapnel try to punch its way out?

I sure hope this video doesn't make its rounds through all the forums being portrayed as a stock car.

·
GOTZIRA
3,572 Posts
love the new record! Congrats....well its good to see the so called problem finally happen here...

so how many Launches can you actually say you have done?

Cant wait to see the replacement tranny and new record times!

·
Registered
100 Posts
lol we should recode it with a big red scrolling disclaimer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im kinda serious
That's what I was thinking. Atleast flash 600 hp across the beginning of the video so "they" know. I can see it now this being posted on autoblog with the title (bone stock GT-R with 23 miles implodes gearbox).
You know it's going to happen.

·
Registered
737 Posts
sad to hear it but we all knew it was a matter of time at that power level. Cant wait to see the replacement. Where are you going to go for the new-upgraded one and what are you going to be upgrading? How long was the Willall fluid in there and did you like it? Good luck and thanks for being a GTR pioneer

1 - 20 of 153 Posts