Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Thought it was interesting enough and thought I'd share this. Chris from SBD brought me his car to try to sort out for him and get it into the 8's for Texas 2k.

So we got Chris's car in here from SBD today. I've discussed with him what the plan is, he wants the car to perform. He doesn't want to spend what he already has on the car with everyone else just to do "my plan of attack" but is open to what I say the car "needs". He has also told me he is an open book and doesn't want ANYTHING undisclosed or held back so I am to tell the story in detail and even shitty parts of it. Not too many people around like that.

First thing today, battery was dead, jump start, died before it got off they trailer. We put it on the charger, got it to run and got it loaded on the dyno. The car has been tuned on Ecutek by John Visconti. I have no way to log it, change it or mess with the tune, so it was dyno'd exactly as it was last time. Last time it was on a dyno it was a Dynojet and it made 1024 whp.

Here is the current build on this car:

3.8 liter, 10:1, Carrillo rods, built by Jacks Transmission

Heads ported by Billet Designs, stock valves, Ferrea single springs

Tomei 272 cams

SBD Pro Street Coil overs

FFT 19x10" fronts with 305-35-19" MT's

FFT 18x11" rears with 345-35-18" MT's

Fore Innovations triple pump, stock lines

AMS fuel rails

Stock unported upper/lower intake manifold

Stock throttle bodies

3" SBD intakes with K&N filters

3" SBD downpipes

SBD1200 turbo kit (GTX3076's)

3"x4" mid pipe

SBD 4" catback

DSS axles

FIC 2150's

E85

Visconti Flex Fuel kit

SBD Street FMIC kit with 2.75" upper/lower i/c pipes

As soon as I got in the car the on the dyno the dash was lit up with issues. We had to find an Ecutek cable so Chris could connect to get the codes. The drivers side rear axle is giving him issues and he knew it. We reset the codes, all was well for the two identical dyno pulls we made.

The next thing I noticed was the throttle response on the car is horrible, worst I've ever seen. It's like the throttle is programmed to not open, it sucks. I actually thought the car was in some type of limp mode and questioned Chris about it. He said it seemed normal and has always rev'd like that. I told him there's now way the car would do a dyno pull like that, something was keeping the throttles shut.

So...I calibrated the dyno, 4th gear like always and did the pull. To my surprise, the car worked just fine. No low end power though, I was sure the throttles were being kept closed, at about 4000 rpm though the car came alive and seemed perfect.

28.6 psi of peak boost, I didn't print the AFR's, the car is definitely on the rich side.. Boost is relatively flat. The car reaches 20 psi at a low RPM, maybe in the 3821 rpm which is pretty damn good response.

Now, the power fell way short of what we had hoped. Making 1024 in 101 degree heat last time meant it should have made about 890 whp here. My son guessed 750 whp looking under the hood (smart ass 17 year old) well he was close. 789 whp/628 ft lbs.

First step is to figure out the axle issue and then I'm going to uninstall the Ecutek and put a Cobb on it so I can start tuning it. The goal is simply as close to 900 whp as I can get and that will be enough to put the car into the 8's even with the full weight, roll bar and radials.

Here is the dyno sheet from the two runs today, there were identical.

Attachments

·
7.9 @ 175mph (Gen 3 SBD1400R)
8,564 Posts
Look forward to seeing what you can do with it ;)

This car has had less than 500 miles on it in three years. She has been collecting dust, so eager to see what she does in your hands.

Keep us updated and don't hold back. I'm an open book and expect the same here.

·
8,564 Posts
Cobb AP was sent overnight, so you should have it tomorrow.

I'll be curious to see what you can find on the DSS axle, as the wheel speed sensor is clearly not picking up signal. (Causing the VDC codes, lighting up the dash.)

·
e85 member
2,724 Posts
Very cool--looking forward to reading more

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
That dead feel/lack of response with low RPM - let me know what you figure out. My car has started behaving the same way on Phase 5 tune. Phase 4, it's very responsive. Wondering if it's a throttle sensitivity setting or bonafide lack of timing below 3k rpm (or maybe even a cam timing thing?)

·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That dead feel/lack of response with low RPM - let me know what you figure out. My car has started behaving the same way on Phase 5 tune. Phase 4, it's very responsive. Wondering if it's a throttle sensitivity setting or bonafide lack of timing below 3k rpm (or maybe even a cam timing thing?)
I won't know what it is as I'm not going to run/log the car again on Ecutek. It's getting swapped over to Cobb and I'm hoping with one of my tunes it goes away. I guess at that point we can at least know it's in the tuning.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
is this a tune issue or hardware issue?

·
8,564 Posts
is this a tune issue or hardware issue?
I don't think it would be good to even speculate, seeing that David will have the Cobb AP tomorrow.

He can quickly tune the car and rule out tuning, if that's the case.

John V has been good to me and I appreciate the help he has given to many of our customers over the years. You don't see any finger pointing here.

If anything, this gives Buschur a chance to prove what he can do, which is really my point in taking his offer to work with the car.

Buschur brings a lot to the table as an experienced tuner, engine builder, and driver.

I've followed him since the early Evo days, so it's an honor to have him working with the car.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How come this build never ran any numbers?

Visconti has had other cars in the 8's after this started and completed.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I've had an evo with buschur parts so I know he is good peoples. Good luck!

I don't think it would be good to even speculate, seeing that David will have the Cobb AP tomorrow.

He can quickly tune the car and rule out tuning, if that's the case.

John V has been good to me and I appreciate the help he has given to many of our customers over the years. You don't see any finger pointing here.

If anything, this gives Buschur a chance to prove what he can do, which is really my point in taking his offer to work with the car.

Buschur brings a lot to the table as an experienced tuner, engine builder, and driver.

I've followed him since the early Evo days, so it's an honor to have him working with the car.

·
8,564 Posts
Buschur, if you pop the hood, you'll see the E85 Zeitronix sensor is reading E71. (I checked before car was loaded on the dyno.)

We are on winter blend here in Oklahoma, so if you can get E85 or E98, I'm sure that would provide some gains before you lean on it ;)

Leaving Indianapolis this morning heading back to OKC, 12 hour drive today ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.