Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

There is a big possibility that I will be working in Europe for the next 6 months (Holland for 3 months and UK for 3 months)

I am thinking of sending my GTR over, so I have a couple of questions:

1. For how long will I be able to use my car in the EU legally with its original UAE registration "I know some people who send over their cars in the summer but they usually stay for 3 months max"

2. Insurance? Where? How? How Much?

3. Emissions, my car has no cats at all. However, it is quiet will I be facing any issues?

Any advice? Warnings?

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
I believe you can leave the car with UAE plates for 6 months in Europe. Probably also depends on how long is the insurance period.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My stay could be extended to 8 months depending on the deliverables and projects

I will of course renew my registration and local insurance before I send the car

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Remember I sent mine last year?
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/57701-florida-gt-r-in-western-europe/

It's easy to send your car, it will get a 6 month registration and you can extend it if you have to work longer than the time given. You can check with Allianz Insurance or various insurance companies in Holland/UK but it is important to get a "GREEN card insurance" which covers you in most of Western Europe. They never told me about my Emissions check when I took my car but here's a problem I ran into, they needed a bond to import the car into Germany. I was told Holland/Belgium was not asking for it but check w/ the shipping companies your friend use in the UAE for more info. If they request the bond it's simple, take the car to Switzerland which is not a long drive to Holland.

Hi Guys,

There is a big possibility that I will be working in Europe for the next 6 months (Holland for 3 months and UK for 3 months)

I am thinking of sending my GTR over, so I have a couple of questions:

1. For how long will I be able to use my car in the EU legally with its original UAE registration "I know some people who send over their cars in the summer but they usually stay for 3 months max"

2. Insurance? Where? How? How Much?

3. Emissions, my car has no cats at all. However, it is quiet will I be facing any issues?

Any advice? Warnings?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember I sent mine last year?
http://www.nagtroc.o...western-europe/

It's easy to send your car, it will get a 6 month registration and you can extend it if you have to work longer than the time given. You can check with Allianz Insurance or various insurance companies in Holland/UK but it is important to get a "GREEN card insurance" which covers you in most of Western Europe. They never told me about my Emissions check when I took my car but here's a problem I ran into, they needed a bond to import the car into Germany. I was told Holland/Belgium was not asking for it but check w/ the shipping companies your friend use in the UAE for more info. If they request the bond it's simple, take the car to Switzerland which is not a long drive to Holland.
I was planning on contacting you to check your experience

Thank you for chiming in

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
No problem, I'll try & help you out. I have some pics of UAE GT-R's in Europe somewhere on my PC, maybe you know them?
My buddy might be visiting Florida for a few months and I'm hoping he brings his SpecV

I was planning on contacting you to check your experience

Thank you for chiming in

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Regarding insurance I'd contact a good insurance company operating in EU like Aristo suggests and see from there. Allianz or Zurich are one of the big companies that cover both Holland and UK.
you should have no problem regarding the exhaust, I would not worry about that.
Other than this, if you have fully tinted front windows that might be a problem because it is illegal in most EU countries. Also, if your car is heavily lowered (2cm or more) I suggest raising ride height a little just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
My car has tinted windows and it didn't cause a problem, I think because they say foreign plates.

Regarding insurance I'd contact a good insurance company operating in EU like Aristo suggests and see from there. Allianz or Zurich are one of the big companies that cover both Holland and UK.
you should have no problem regarding the exhaust, I would not worry about that.
Other than this, if you have fully tinted front windows that might be a problem because it is illegal in most EU countries. Also, if your car is heavily lowered (2cm or more) I suggest raising ride height a little just in case.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Some reading info on road rules and international registration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968 is an international treaty designed to facilitate international road traffic and to increase road safety by establishing standard traffic rules among the contracting parties. The convention was agreed upon at the United Nations Economic and Social Council's Conference on Road Traffic (7 October 1968 - 8 November 1968) and done in Vienna on 8 November 1968. It came into force on 21 May 1977. The convention has been ratifed by 70 countries, but those who have not ratified the convention may still be parties to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. This conference also produced the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Convention_on_Road_Traffic#Convention_1949

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Max-R35 did you find any good info locally in the UAE? how your buddies send theirs? someone told me the UK is much easier to send the car than Holland so try there first to avoid the bond.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm meeting up with the guys this week

I will probably use skycargo to send it, I can get a pilot discount through a family member

Will ask more regarding the bond

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
every summer always many Gulf supercars hit london, sure you'll have no worries Mo, if you need any help let me know mate
Will do Ben

So far I'm 90% going to Rijswijk in The Netherlands

But regarding the UK I have no idea, wishing for London but the Olympics will be a major headache

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Air cargo is about $18k each way so even half price is expensive. Pick up the car in the uk then drive to Holland, it's going to be fun! You'll get an instant high from the drive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.