Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So stock-for-stock (powerplant wise), which is the better car?
I've had my GTR for about 7 years, and never modified it past a midpipe. I live in California, so I am pretty sure I'm not touching the engine on any car I buy from now on.

I have yet to test drive the M3 as no one really has them in stock, but I'm considering selling the GTR and ordering the m3.

Looking at 1/4 mile ETs and trap speeds, they're pretty even. Which chassis/drivetrain would you say is better? I just was never a fan of how the GT-R felt when you weren't hauling ass in a straight line. It never had that tight chassis/razor sharp turn in feel my old Evo had. My car has 9k miles, and already theres various interior squeaks and rattles, suspension feels terrible in any setting, and the seats are horrid.

The m3 being a sedan is a plus, plus we are talking 8 year newer technology, but with 800cc less displacement. I am hoping the fit/finish overall are better, and that the car would feel more solid.

Not the same presence as the GTR though, but maybe I can drive it more places without drawing too much unwanted attention.

Would I regret switching?

My other alternative is keeping the GTR switching to a set of Recaro sportster CS seats, litchfield suspension, and ditching the factory runflats for a set of MP4S.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Appreciate the time and effort!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bimmers are boring to me. All look similar and sound like shit. Gtr has road presence. Asking people on a gtr forum which to choose which way you think we are leaning :)
Fair enough, I agree on the road presence. the GTR just doesn't feel like a drivers car to me. I own an S2000 also and 9/10 times if I want to take a fun drive I take the honda.

I think not being able to modify the engine in California has taken a lot of potential fun out of the car for me. I can't even do the exhaust because police where I live are overzealous in giving out exhaust tickets.

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
166 Posts
Fair enough, I agree on the road presence. the GTR just doesn't feel like a drivers car to me. I own an S2000 also and 9/10 times if I want to take a fun drive I take the honda.

I think not being able to modify the engine in California has taken a lot of potential fun out of the car for me. I can't even do the exhaust because police where I live are overzealous in giving out exhaust tickets.
Sounds like time to move. And the it's hard to find cars that have feedback like the S2000, M Roadsters, etc. these days.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,743 Posts
Well….. modding a M3 in Cali would be in the same boat - wouldn’t it?

Reactions: MiamiBert

·
Registered
37 Posts
A friend recently rented a G80 M3 on Turo in the SF Bay area. Turo has a feature where you can filter specific makes and models on the map. You might find one there you can rent.

You can also try messaging Jerry at VinylDesigns2. He had (or still does) an R35 and a supercharged R8. His recent acquisition is a G80 M3.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The G80 M3 is going to blow the GTR in virtually every category given it is a 10 yr newer platform. The xdrive should be at least on par with the ATTESSA system. If money isn't part of the equation, definitely the M3.

·
Registered
349 Posts
CS Version coming in 2 years. Should drop 100 lbs and by then the aftermarket's gonna be nuts. I don't want no smoke from those M3/M4s, they move. Also, my R35's interior is really starting to turn me off. iDrive 8 looks amazing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stock vs stock… the M3 should be the same or faster…

i didn’t want to mod my gtr until the warranty expired but after only 3 months of owning the car, i feel the car is not fast enough for today’s standards (18 with mid pipe and exhaust) so I’m going fbo e85 to bump it a little bit

the m3 xdrive has better interior, a better newer chassis and all the newer goodies… but…………….. it’s a bmw… it will depreciate like it’s made out of chicken shit… and if you only drove the car for 9k miles in 7 years, I wouldn’t get the m3… I’ll research for california friendly performance mods or move out of california lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
So stock-for-stock (powerplant wise), which is the better car?
I've had my GTR for about 7 years, and never modified it past a midpipe. I live in California, so I am pretty sure I'm not touching the engine on any car I buy from now on.

I have yet to test drive the M3 as no one really has them in stock, but I'm considering selling the GTR and ordering the m3.

Looking at 1/4 mile ETs and trap speeds, they're pretty even. Which chassis/drivetrain would you say is better? I just was never a fan of how the GT-R felt when you weren't hauling ass in a straight line. It never had that tight chassis/razor sharp turn in feel my old Evo had. My car has 9k miles, and already theres various interior squeaks and rattles, suspension feels terrible in any setting, and the seats are horrid.

The m3 being a sedan is a plus, plus we are talking 8 year newer technology, but with 800cc less displacement. I am hoping the fit/finish overall are better, and that the car would feel more solid.

Not the same presence as the GTR though, but maybe I can drive it more places without drawing too much unwanted attention.

Would I regret switching?

My other alternative is keeping the GTR switching to a set of Recaro sportster CS seats, litchfield suspension, and ditching the factory runflats for a set of MP4S.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Appreciate the time and effort!
Better is a question of what you're chasing after. The G80 like other modern BMWs. The steering feedback is going to be nearly nonexistent. SavageGeese has done two comprehensive videos on the G8x in all the different drivetrain configurations (RWD vs AWD, manual vs auto). One constant in their commentary is that these cars are a little sterile to drive even if highly competent. This is not due to the AWD alone, they had similar words for the F80 which was not available in AWD. They do not blindly favor hydraulic steering over EPS either, they have mentioned disliking the HPS in the 370Z so much that they prefer a good EPS rack over what they experienced in the 370Z. They actually don't like the R35 GTR steering either although I'm not sure if it's because of the winter tires they tested the car on. Most reviews I've seen don't mention the steering lacking feedback.

With that said, the VR38DETT is stone age. Port injected, low compression ratio, intake VVT only. There's only so much you can do to get the turbos to spool in that scenario compared to GDI engines where you can do really extreme valve timings to help scavenge air straight through the intake to the exhaust to improve spool. The DCT is also not super refined for commuting. So if you want a smoother transmission the ZF8 is clearly technically superior. It's also better for drag racing as the torque converter helps so much with the initial launch.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
You can tune only the M3 (JB4) and run low 10’s all day long on 93 with full factory emissions.

JB4 is a piggyback so pop on and off (takes like 3 minutes once you know what you are doing) to take off for service if you want.

Godzilla is Godzilla - M cars are great bang for the buck these days and the carbon seats are absolutely art.

Good luck - think either decision can’t go wrong.

ZF transmission is very good and you won’t miss the DCT chugging in traffic.

But even the current M3/M4 is getting chipped sooner than later and moving towards a hybrid and eventually electric.

Buy one, can always come back to GTR and you won’t lose a dollar.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the feedback folks. I think this car really hasn't racked up too many miles because i simply haven't had time to address some things i wanted to change, and have just been maintaining it/driving it now and then to circulate the fluids until i had time to sit down with a plan (along with getting distracted by other project cars i've had)

Better is a question of what you're chasing after. The G80 like other modern BMWs.
I think at face value, I want a more liveable/driveable 4 door with roughly the same performance as the GT-R without feeling like I've "lost something" at the end of the equation.

Still on the fence. My other plan if I kept the R35 is to make some changes to make it a better daily (so that I would drive it more often)
  • Litchfield street suspension for improved ride comfort ~$3500 with current exchange rates
  • Ditch factory runflats with a set of MP4s, ~$1900
  • Change out the noisy factory brake pads with something quieter, ~$600
  • improve interior/creature comforts. Recaro Sportsers ( really don't like factory seats), ~$3500 with seat rails, updated steering wheel ~$1500
  • bring it up to date somewhat. Trex-Pro, $1600

I wonder how far spending $12k (assuming I do my own work) will go towards making the GTR an altogether different animal, or would it be not so transformative and I'm out with a bunch of money while still wanting a more usable 4 door.

In line with keeping the car a "california special", I think there is really only a tiny amount of performance left on the table. A full titanium exhaust to drop 40lbs, and a set of carbon ceramic rotors to drop rotating mass. With the aggressive factory OEM 2013 maps and 100 octane, i wonder if this can be an 'every day' [email protected] car

Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place. You guys are enthusiasts, not psychiatrists :)

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
I have seen totally stock - tune only - with all season tires run 10.7 in 25””+ DA.

Pulling some weight won’t hurt either CCB and seats and you should be close to 100lbs.

It’s still always going to drive and feel like a GTR. No matter if you put 12k or 100k+ into it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
thanks for the feedback folks. I think this car really hasn't racked up too many miles because i simply haven't had time to address some things i wanted to change, and have just been maintaining it/driving it now and then to circulate the fluids until i had time to sit down with a plan (along with getting distracted by other project cars i've had)

I think at face value, I want a more liveable/driveable 4 door with roughly the same performance as the GT-R without feeling like I've "lost something" at the end of the equation.

Still on the fence. My other plan if I kept the R35 is to make some changes to make it a better daily (so that I would drive it more often)
  • Litchfield street suspension for improved ride comfort ~$3500 with current exchange rates
  • Ditch factory runflats with a set of MP4s, ~$1900
  • Change out the noisy factory brake pads with something quieter, ~$600
  • improve interior/creature comforts. Recaro Sportsers ( really don't like factory seats), ~$3500 with seat rails, updated steering wheel ~$1500
  • bring it up to date somewhat. Trex-Pro, $1600

I wonder how far spending $12k (assuming I do my own work) will go towards making the GTR an altogether different animal, or would it be not so transformative and I'm out with a bunch of money while still wanting a more usable 4 door.

In line with keeping the car a "california special", I think there is really only a tiny amount of performance left on the table. A full titanium exhaust to drop 40lbs, and a set of carbon ceramic rotors to drop rotating mass. With the aggressive factory OEM 2013 maps and 100 octane, i wonder if this can be an 'every day' [email protected] car

Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place. You guys are enthusiasts, not psychiatrists :)
I would absolutely start with the tires. Aftermarket PS4S has a completely different sidewall stiffness and you would be shocked how much of a difference sidewall stiffness makes in ride comfort. If it's been over 5 years since you got new tires you're about due for new ones anyways. Once you've tried tires if the suspension is still just too harsh then I would go with those Litchfield road-tuned coilovers. Pads are no big deal, switch to Ferodo DS2500, MX72 Plus, whatever street pad you want. It's not a big deal and if you figure out a combination that gets the noise to acceptable levels those hybrid street/track pads are 100% fine even on a heavy R35.

Personally I would not get the head unit you're talking about but I got an R33 specifically to not deal with distractions when driving. I agree with the sentiment that even if you change the tuning of the R35 it's still going to be pretty cramped inside and generally not super refined in a daily commute. If you just want a fast luxury sedan the G80 M3 is the way to go but you will lose something in the trade. You could try renting one on Turo if someone has one listed for a week to see how you like it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Drive the piss out if it and enjoy the thing! Take it to the track or some curvy mountain roads. I know that when my GT-R is on a pedestal in the garage, my mind often wanders to thoughts of replacing it. That’s when I know its been sitting too long and its time to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Thats really true for all enthusiast and performance cars. If you think getting an M3 means you’ll be driving it more and utilizing its potential, I say go for it, be happy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts