Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed on other posts and I have read all of them!!!

My car has been making the infamous clicking sound, but not only when I turn, rather all the time, even in straight line.

Background on the car:
2010 GTR USDM
Cor Cipher Wheels 20x10 & 20x11
Endless MX-72 pads
AP Racing J-Hook Rotors
Forged Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Car has approximately 8500 miles on it with a handful of aggressive track days involved.

Prior to the install of my wheels, I never had this problem and it got much more noticeable more recently when the weather is getting warmer and I am driving with the windows down (may have been there earlier but not sure). Now what is happening to me is the following:-

Sound started when turning right, you would hear a slight ticking sound.
Changed pads and rotors and started to hear a wooshing sound (which I was told is due to the more aggressive pads and rotors and is normal and really is not bothering me).
More recently the clicking sound started to happen all the time when driving, even in a straight line and is more pronounce on turns (right and left).
This morning I drove out and the weather was beautiful so windows down and the sound was ridiculously loud and in straight line, clicking like crazy and the frequency increasing with speed. The sound gets a bit muffled when braking by the wooshing sound of the pads, but the clicking is so loud and annoying.
The sound seemed to lessen a bit as the car got warmer, but still audible in traffic.

Now..... after reading all the other posts and consulting some people, I performed the following:-
Re-torqued lug nuts.
Cleaned the contact point between the wheel and the brake hub (although was very clean).
Added the 2nd retainer clip in the top of the caliper.

Each time one of the above solutions has been performed, the sound would lessen but never go away.

To be honest, todays morning drive embarassed me!!! Also scared me a bit, cause the sound was too loud.

PLEASE HELP AND ADVISE ME WHAT TO DO!!!! THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS....

I will do my best to get some video footage of the clicking sound and post it....

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a Video I made as soon as I got back from the office... Strangely enough on the way home as I left the office, the actual clicking was very loud and profound the whole drive home. I parked the car and got out to grab my GoPro cameras to take some footage. The car was warmed up obviously and still for about 10 minutes or so. Placed the cams and headed out.... Guess what??? The loud clicking sound is gone and I could'nt get good footage of it. However, I did manage to get the sound it makes when turning.... Check out the videos and let me know what you guys think. I shall be taking footage again tomorrow morning (cold) to try and get that really loud clicking sound on video...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Might help if you specify what time in the video the clicking occurs... its pretty long.

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might help if you specify what time in the video the clicking occurs... its pretty long.
Sorry buddy.... It is quite noticeable at 1:45 and then again at 2:02 and 2:20... These are some of the spots.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure if this helps, but I just recently had my left side (driver side) front axle replaced under warranty due to a click noise that was very noticeable. Might want to have that checked out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't have a gtr
but I had a car before that clicked when I turned
it kept getting worse and worse.
I was at a mr lube for an oil change and they said my axle boot was cracked.
I didn't change it and on a very cold day, -40 degrees Celsius, I turned onto a main road in downtown just before rush hour and then my cars front end suddenly drops and my steering went.....
the axle snapped.
if you can get under your car you should be able to see if your axle boot is leaking.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've posted before where I had a similar clicking sound after I installed Endless MX72 brake pads. It always happend on the left wheel when I turned right and would be an embarrasing and loud sound. Track Marshalls would always pull me off and ask me to check the torque on my lug nuts because it would sound like something was loose. Well, the clicking went away as the pads wore........around 3000 miles and 4 track days. My gut tells me that the left side pads may not be dimensionally identical to the factory pad. If you have your OEM pads, try replacing them and see what happens to the sound. I unfortunately was unable to try that because my OEM pads were cracked.

I hope this helps. The best approach is to change one variable at a time and see if it follows something.

Good Luck!

·
R35 member
226 Posts
I had the "clicking sound" with OEM brakes/calipers/wheels. It would occur only when turning right at slow speeds. After remounting the wheels (winter tires), it went away, and has never returned.

I must say though, that your "clicking sound" sounds very different that mine did. Mine was more of a "ticking" sound, if that makes any sense. Just makes me wonder if something else is going on with your vehicle, as opposed to the "infamous GTR clicking sound" that others have talked about.

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the "clicking sound" with OEM brakes/calipers/wheels. It would occur only when turning right at slow speeds. After remounting the wheels (winter tires), it went away, and has never returned.

I must say though, that your "clicking sound" sounds very different that mine did. Mine was more of a "ticking" sound, if that makes any sense. Just makes me wonder if something else is going on with your vehicle, as opposed to the "infamous GTR clicking sound" that others have talked about.
The infamous clicking was more profound and evident in my case before the video, but since then has gone away. Strange? As mentioned above, I have a list of things to check when I have the time and when I can get into the garage.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
My friends affixed a thick zip tie to another guys rear axle so when he drove the long end of the zip tie "clicked" against other parts of the car. It was tucked way in there too. It drove the guy nuts trying to figure it out...

·
R35 member
226 Posts
My friends affixed a thick zip tie to another guys rear axle so when he drove the long end of the zip tie "clicked" against other parts of the car. It was tucked way in there too. It drove the guy nuts trying to figure it out...
If your friend is also friends with tshawa: mystery solved!

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2011 Nissan GTR took it in for service showed the tech. Gave me an answer straight away, when we wash our cars if you don't drive it rust builds up on the splines on the driveshaft and on the disc hats, this then causes the clicking noise, They took it all out cleaned the rust re- greased everything no more clicking noise. They then washed the car and parked it ready for my collection. On the drive home i noticed a clicking noise appear from the right hand side, took it back , same problem so same process was repeated. No more clicking noises. After washing your car make sure you take it for a short drive even around the block before parking it again.

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the same problem with my 2011 Nissan GTR took it in for service showed the tech. Gave me an answer straight away, when we wash our cars if you don't drive it rust builds up on the splines on the driveshaft and on the disc hats, this then causes the clicking noise, They took it all out cleaned the rust re- greased everything no more clicking noise. They then washed the car and parked it ready for my collection. On the drive home i noticed a clicking noise appear from the right hand side, took it back , same problem so same process was repeated. No more clicking noises. After washing your car make sure you take it for a short drive even around the block before parking it again.
Thanks for the advice... Will keep that in mind during next wash...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 09, and had a clicking sound come from the front right wheel when I turned. I took it to Nissan and the blamed the lowering springs, then they blamed the wheels spacers (before I got rims). I took it to another Nissan dealership and it turned out to be the wheel hubs being loose. A simple tightening and it took care of the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
New guy chiming in here.

This is how bad mine clicks. This only happens when I turn right. The harder I turn the louder it gets, I can almost feel it in the steering wheel.

Click on pictures to play videos in photobucket

She has a little over 16,000 miles.

Sorry Im not sure how to make it play in the Forum.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bump, because mine makes the same exact noise as Panzer's. Any ideas?

Found these posts, will try it out when I'm not lazy one weekend.

+1
"....simply cleaned the wheel hub, put some antisieze and retorque the lug nuts."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bump, I just lowerd my car and the same thing happen first clicking when I turn left and right. SPE cleaned my hub then the right went away, my car is now at the dealership and the tech tried to blame it on the springs. The service advisor told him to look past the springs and see whats wrong with it they should have an answer for me tomorrow. Hope this gets fixed when I turn right its kind of emparasing with the loud clicking noise.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the wheels are not touching any parts of the fender/liner/brake lines when turning. Hard to tell from the video but sounds like tire is rubbing on something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts