1 - 20 of 557 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Wow!!!..............

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts about routine maintenance.

A couple of my thoughts:

1. How about trying straight 10W-60 Castrol TWS from BMW as per the M5? It might cure the oil situation re: turing black so quickly and might decrease the 'fuel' odor some notice in their engine oil.

2. Willall will in fact just sell you the increased capacity and finned transmission oil pan: give Sharif a call at Forged Performance.

3. The differential issues are very troubling. I am going to change out my diff oil both front and rear with the Motul product after this coming weekend's HPDE event. Any thoughts on using Motul or perhaps the Willall product?

4. I saw temps of 252F in the transmission during a day with ambient temps of 60-70F at my last HPDE. I am seriously thinking of a transmission oil cooler in the near future. You?

Bish

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you want the fins on an aftermarket transmission cooler to work you'll need the SSP Transmission Cooler that extends below the underbody panel. Otherwise there is little airflow under the transmission.
SSP trans pan

Note the choice of deep pan or shallow pan.

You might want to talk to V8_Killer about what they offer too. Look at this trans cooler...

MVP

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK. I'm just giving you alternatives...

·
Registered
388 Posts
No. It's hard to watch the temp gauge & drive on the track. But I usually look at it during the cool down lap. I have seen 250-260 degrees on mine... And I'm not pushing it too much. The others on this forum that track their cars have seem higher. I'm sure they'll chime in. Ask Sharif what his temps have been too.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I've hit 272 and only occasionally look...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Considering your good outcome of the Blackstone labs analysis of your transmission fluid (even after track events), do you think that maybe we're just being a little too paranoid? Maybe seeking out better fluid and cooling is just overkill?

Or did Nissan make us that way with the "1800" miles inspection (and JDM post track event inspection)?

Shawn
That oil change had only 4 track days on it. And I was in the green and blue run groups (beginners). The outdoor temps were in the 40-70 degree range. So hitting 250 degrees is bad in my opinion.

Are some a little paranoid? Yes I think so regarding the metal wear particle issue. I think the trans is just breaking in. The metal should decrease over time. Unless of course, one over stresses the transmission as some drag racers have done.

The transmission oil temps really bother me since the OEM fluid is based on ATF & is quite thin... I read an article somewhere that explains auto tranny fluid temps & it said the same as Nissan. If it hits 280 degrees then change immediately. They even recommended the fluid stay below 215 degrees.

I going to attempt to make my own oil cooler using the stock pan. A new one cost me $137 shipped. I will remove the front under tray to measure the space for a cooler at the end of the month since I am due an engine oil change. Then I am going to purchase some AN fittings, braided hose, and an oil cooler & pump. I think I can keep the cost to around $500.00.

I was intrigued by your post on increasing the oil capacity of the pan & its effect on fluid temps. But, since I am attempting to keep costs low, I do not want to buy a custom machined billet oil pan. I will if I have to.

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Shawn,

What are your thoughts on the Pentosin FFL-4 that's been mentioned several times in these forums and being used quite heavily by many fellow owners overseas? It's easily accessible through local BMW dealerships and MUCH cheaper...

1 - 20 of 557 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.