Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hopeless and desperate GT-R owner here...

Shift fork C has failed(at least that's what codes are showing, car doesn't engage 1/R gears.)

So...I have a third party warranty(I got suckered into it when purchasing the car), and they are trying their hearts out(as they should) to not cover the warranty.

The third party warranty company wants me to send the car to Nissan to confirm that the shift fork is indeed physically broken, however I have heard that Nissan refuses/does not open up any transmissions, only replaces them. Is that true?

Does anyone have any experience with Legend Nissan in Long Island, NY? Thinking about sending it there.

· Premium Member
12,306 Posts
Hey guys, hopeless and desperate GT-R owner here...

Shift fork C has failed(at least that's what codes are showing, car doesn't engage 1/R gears.)

So...I have a third party warranty(I got suckered into it when purchasing the car), and they are trying their hearts out(as they should) to not cover the warranty.

The third party warranty company wants me to send the car to Nissan to confirm that the shift fork is indeed physically broken, however I have heard that Nissan refuses/does not open up any transmissions, only replaces them. Is that true?

Does anyone have any experience with Legend Nissan in Long Island, NY? Thinking about sending it there.
If you have a third party warranty, then the car can be taken to any facility of your choice. They will have to pay Nissan, or whoever performs the repair, for both the diagnostic work and any subsequent repairs. Stand your ground and good luck.

· Registered
821 Posts
I was always skeptical of these aftermarket warranties. They make it sound like it's a smooth as glass process if something goes wrong. But in the end it sounds like they are like every other insurance company and don't want to pay for anything.

Please keep us updated on how it plays out.

Good luck.

· Registered
573 Posts
You can let your warranty agent know that there are shops that have experience servicing these transmissions, and upgrading them, that would be better equipped than Nissan to take care of you. Nissan's approach will be to pull a diagnostic code, perform one or two simple checks and install a new unit (estimated costs from a dealer of $15,000). If it is a selector issue, needing a new fork and selector ring, the bill would be likely 60% less than a complete unit replacement.

You then also have the added option of paying additional out of pocket to the shop for additional parts to be installed at discount while the transmission is being serviced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.