Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Fellas, it looks like I'll have to pull the trigger on a purchase far far away. Either will end up shipping the car home or flying out and driving it 1-1.5k miles (yikes, rock chips ahoy
)

I am currently doing my research on getting it trucked - if there are any resources, companies, or general tips that you wish you knew when you were dealing with getting your babe shipped, please feel free to share and enlighten me!

Cheers

· Registered
328 Posts
I would still fly out and just check out the car, even if you plan to ship. I've done purchases without first seeing the vehicle and have had good and bad experiences. After dealing with a flawed paint issue (not the GTR), I just won't buy without seeing in person (unless brand new).

I would recommend asking the dealership. They most likely can point you to the best transport in their area.

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would still fly out and just check out the car, even if you plan to ship. I've done purchases without first seeing the vehicle and have had good and bad experiences. After dealing with a flawed paint issue (not the GTR), I just won't buy without seeing in person (unless brand new).

I would recommend asking the dealership. They most likely can point you to the best transport in their area.
That's very reasonable advice. I guess a flight it is. I feel like if there are minor issues when I arrive from a flight I'd feel tempted to pick up the car anyway, as annoyed and dissatisfied I would be - what a hassle to have to book a flight back empty handed and what a waste of money.

· Registered
328 Posts
That's very reasonable advice. I guess a flight it is. I feel like if there are minor issues when I arrive from a flight I'd feel tempted to pick up the car anyway, as annoyed and dissatisfied I would be - what a hassle to have to book a flight back empty handed and what a waste of money.
Tell the dealer what your plans are. When I grabbed my 991S, I bought it out of state. I told the dealer that I was coming to check the car out before having it shipped (I had already put a deposit down at this point).

I also talked directly to the GM and asked him very politely to have one of his sales reps go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and note/photo any imperfections on the car. I let him know that I would most likely overlook a few imperfections but if they failed to disclosed any cosmetic or mechanical issues, I would walk.

The dealer sent me a full video and pictures of (2) tiny rock chips on the hood. Upon arrival, the car was truly very close to perfect and the deal went smoothly. The price of the plane ticket was worth the anxiety I would have felt buying sight unseen (especially experiencing a prior issue) and waiting for the car to arrive in my driveway.

Personally, 1-1.5k miles would be too far of a drive for me. I would book a round trip and still have the car shipped back. Besides the distance, I would do this for a couple reasons:

1. If something is wrong with the car and it's "no-go", I wouldn't want any pressure to just settle and drive it home. Knowing you are taking the plane back either way can really help keep your mind clear.

2. God forbid something with the deal goes wrong and it takes a couple of days to sort out, you may not have the luxury of being stuck a couple 1000 miles away for a few days. I financed my wife's E-Class through our bank (Bank of America) and the Bank cut us a check for the car to give to the dealership. We had already seen the car and were all set to go pick it up. Mercedes wouldn't let us drive the car away until the check cleared... They claimed their insurance covered personal checks but not checks from an outside bank.... So I could have written a personal check and drove away but the check from BoA was no good. It was one of the most preposterous situations I have been in and if my wife wasn't in love with the car, I would have walked from the deal. I say all that to say a deal isn't done until you are driving away and a lot can go wrong and you don't want to get stuck or worse yet, be forced to take the car when something still needs to be done (e.g. service, detailing).

· Registered
27 Posts
I've shipped 4 cars
Normal price is .80 to .90 per mile, a dealership will mark it up about double...

I would recommend a closed trailer...it's only a few hundred bucks more.

The first one I was nervous about...the last one, the Nismo I was not nervous about at all...

· Registered
7,120 Posts
Definitely go with enclosed transportation, and try and find a carrier that has good communication skills. Cheaper is not better with transportation. My GTR was supposed to arrive to me on a Friday, but it ended up coming in the Monday after that, at midnight. So a 3 day delay, and at the most inconvenient time possible. This stuff happens sometimes, so prepare for it. This is why communication is so important, so you can plan for these types of things.

· R35 Member
285 Posts
I have used LG auto transport and had good success with them, they only handle high dollar cars and that company is the only transport company mainly transport Lamborghinis and Ferraris, price was reasonable $1800 for Missouri to Long beach. Another company highly recommended is Plycar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.