Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I might be working in Korea for 3-4 months this summer and wondering if any of you have any experience in shipping a car to a foreign country, what the costs are like, whether or not its even possible to do so, etc. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
It's simple as Sean said, I would try to get a temporary work/tourist visa for the car so you keep your Canadian registration with the agreement the car is returned home. Nissan USA gives you around 120 days to keep the car outside the country. One important note find out if you can get temporary insurance, some only offer a 6 month min policy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's simple as Sean said, I would try to get a temporary work/tourist visa for the car so you keep your Canadian registration with the agreement the car is returned home. Nissan USA gives you around 120 days to keep the car outside the country. One important note find out if you can get temporary insurance, some only offer a 6 month min policy.
Good luck!
Thanks for the responses! What do you mean by Nissan gives you 120 days to keep the car outside the country? What happens afterwards? Also, I live in Canada but I'm guessing the policies are similar? The temporary insurance, would that be a insurance company in Korea or my current insurance company?

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Hey guys, I might be working in Korea for 3-4 months this summer and wondering if any of you have any experience in shipping a car to a foreign country, what the costs are like, whether or not its even possible to do so, etc. Thanks!
In Seoul? Insurance should be cheaper, but the routine maintenance cost and gas will be much more expensive than US or Canada. Pump gas will be like $2usd/L. Yes, per LITER, not per gallon.

IMO, I wouldn't take GTR if I was to be over there for just 3~4 months although it would surely be nice to drive GTR. It will be too much out of your bank for such short period of time you will be in Korea. Oh well, if money isn't problem, go for it. There are so many good routes to take your GTR for road trip in S. Korea.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Shipping round trip to korea will be around $4500 with insurance being its a bit easy to ship to Korea.Temporary insurance can be from a local Korean policy or check if any Canadian companies can offer it. Clements in the US offers it for 6 months min, google them.
US military/Former can get it with USAA.
It's worth sending if you want the experience, you'll see some with $90k in mods but sometimes I think something like this is a small price to pay for some GTR enjoyment.

Thanks for the responses! What do you mean by Nissan gives you 120 days to keep the car outside the country? What happens afterwards? Also, I live in Canada but I'm guessing the policies are similar? The temporary insurance, would that be a insurance company in Korea or my current insurance company?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts