Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought mine new in August cause buying a used one just didn't make sense with the current prices. Just go get your GTR man, it's not like the value is going to tank on them, it's a GTR, it will always hold it's value regardless of the market. People spend $80k on 10 year old ones. If you really want an R36 when/if they come out in 2 years, sell your R35 and buy it.

I was like you when I was looking around, spent a year hemming and hawing over what ifs when I could have spent that year driving my GTR. I found a couple used ones at a dealership, 2020 models, and was able to drive it. Looked around for a new Bayside Blue and had it shipped from PA to Chicago. If it's hard to find a test drive, reach out to your local GTR owners club or something.

Idk how the Canadian market is, but what's so specific about the spec you want? There's very minimal options on GTRs, you'll wait another 6-8 months for them to build and ship a car to your dealership and you have no guarantee they won't jack up the price on you once it's there. By the time it gets there you could have a different manager that doesn't agree with the previous selling price.

Just find one at a dealership and negotiate your best deal and have it shipped if it's far. Or fly out and drive it to make sure it's what you want before taking delivery. It's not a cheap purchase, spend the extra money and do it right.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am having the same issue. I want to get a GTR and sell my 2018 BMW M3. But the prices are crazy. They want $104k for a 2016 stock and even more if the see it has wheels, bigger spoiler. So not sure if i should wait till the market equalizes or what... I hear that a FBO on GTR will get you like 640? I am at around that with my tuned M3. so would it even matter, does it drive that much better than an M3?
Not sure that GTR values will drop enough to offset the money you'll lose for not selling your M3 in this market. German performance cars aside from Porsche seem to fall off a cliff with depreciation, but you can get a lot for it in todays market. Even before this crazy market, the oldest and highest mileage GTRs seemed to bottom out around $60k.

Does it drive better? That's subjective. Is it a better performance car than the M3? Absolutely. You can get 600hp out of pretty much any decent performance platform if that's your goal. If you want 800hp or 1000hp+ I'd imagine the GTR is much better for that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Absolutely"?

I personally would say, "M3/M4 (S58) is slightly better of the line, with both GTR and S58 reaching 1/4 mi. around the same time in stock form"

However, where the GTR does shine is when there is deep pockets for rebuilding engine/trans internals (> 700hp). Dollar for dollar, I don't think there is anything out there that can touch it, yet. Which in other words is in line with your last statement.
I've seen that video. The S58 cars definitely have better launch control programming and/or tires, but it's clear which car is faster and I doubt the S58 cars will ever catch up in terms of high end tuning potential.

I do think an M3 or M4 would be better for someone who wants to do a few simple mods and still have a beast of a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It would be interesting to see what percentage of GTR owners are stock, FBO/e85, and beyond. If I were to guess, I think less than 15% are beyond FBO/e85 and most are stock or at FBO/e85. Which at that level, right now there is an M3 putting down 801hp/666tq and pulling 9.7sec. 1/4mi. measured w/ draggy (posted the video on the 'Other Vehicles' section . However, I personally am concern about the longevity of the engine at those power levels without any internal upgrades.
And that's another benefit of the GTR platform vs the S58 cars, it's been out so long that it's limits are well documented. I'm new here and currently stock, but if I wanted to get to 1000 hp I can ask here and one of dozens of you GTR pros will tell me exactly what I need and where to get it done in like 2 seconds.

I commend those guys pushing a new platform, but there's much bigger risk being the guinea pig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts